AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Z1 should be here on wednesday. I'd like to go ahead and build the ceiling mount. Can someone tell me...

(1) How the projector mounts to a ceiling mount? Screws through bottom or sides of case?

(2) Can I get the size (thread count) of the screws that screw into the case?

(3) Can I get the exact locations and dimensions of the screw holes, possibly with a diagram?

I realize this is asking alot, but I would greatly appreciate

it :)

thanks

Jim

·
Registered
64 Posts
You building your own mount?

The Z1 takes M4 screws. Get three, maybe an inch and a half long. .

Get some nylon spacers, about 3/4" long.

Get some washers.

Get a Panavise slimline 360 degree rotating pedestal mount Model 727-06 (thats 6" tall, they make 9" and 12"). Costs about $15.00.

http://www.panavise.com/nf/comm/cell_slimline.html

Get a piece of 1/2" thick shelving at your local hardware store. Cut one square piece the size of the unit. Cut another piece a couple of inches bigger than the small part of the pedestal mount.

There are three holes on the bottom of the z1. Get a piece of paper and put it over the bottom. Punch the paper with a pencil where the holes are.

Take the paper and lay it over the big square piece of wood. Mark the holes and drill.

undo the vise

screw the larger part of the pedestal mount to the big piece of wood in the center. Then, screw the smaller part of the mount to the smaller piece of wood, again, in the center.

Screw the big piece of wood into the projector using the M4 screws. Use the spacers in between the two.

Screw the smaller piece of wood to a ceiling joist.

get on a ladder and assemble the projector part of the vise to the ceiling part of the vise.

watch movies.

·
Registered
304 Posts
For my 1HD they were M6 Screws, not M4. It took several trips to Home Depot, and finally actually bringing in the projector to a smaller hardware store (that actually has such stock) and personally finding the right screw.

I purchased two flange mounts, and a piece of 3/4" threaded pipe to screw them into. (your length may vary, I purchased several for various mounting heights)

I then took a piece of lexan (similar to plexiglass, but bends instead of suddenly breaking) placed it over the bottom of the projector (since it's clear) and marked on the lexan with a Sharpie marker where the holes should be.

I drilled holed for the projector mounts, and the flange. Got some small nut/bolts to secure the flange to the lexan, then mounted the projector to the lexan using the M6 bolts.

The plan is like this. bolt goes into the projector and is held there by a nut. On top of the nut is a washer. Pushing against the washer is a spring, which pushes against another washer, which pushes against the lexan. On top of the lexan, a wing nut secures the lexan agains the spring. This makes the mount adjustable. (I'll try to take some pictures someday soon)

The instructions for the idea of this is in another thread, regarding Z1 and 300U mounts.

Good luck. After bringing all the junk back to the store you didn't need, it ends up costing about $35 to 30.00.

-Jason W

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I picked up (2) flanges and (3) 1" nipples (10",8",6"). They are a gray THICK plastic from the plumbing dept. at Lowes. I wanted to make it from metal, but I couldn't find what I wanted. The plastic is VERY thick and should hold up well. I was in a hurry and couldn't pick up any other parts. I would like to do the "lexan" part, but I guess I need to have a notch in it so I can remove the dust filter and a couple holes for the vents on the bottom side of the projector. I did manage to get the cables for the component video run into the ceiling. NOT FUN! Lots of yelling, cursing, etc. :(. I wound up using (3) 25' lengths of 75-ohm RG-6 (better than RG-59) coaxial cable with F-pin ends from Radio shack. I will put F-pin/to/RCA plug adapters on the ends to connect the DVD player to the projector . I imagine this should work fine :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I used a heavy duty speaker mount (forgot the brand) from Amazon. Its the one for ceiling mounting the speakers. I also got a piece of 1/2" wood cut maybe 10" by 12" as the mounting plate. Its worked great since december.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.