Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just finished tweaking my Z1 after having it for about 4 months, and I would like to share some of the things I learned:

The component input softens an HDTV image to an unacceptable level, IMHO, and is only suitable as a 480P input. When

the sharpness is turned up it helps, but then you start to notice artifacts.

Because of the above I have an HTPC and an HDTV receiver both connected to the RGB input via a cheap VGA switcher.

My Sanyo DOES remember settings, but only if each input is dedicated to a single source. If I have either my HTPC or

my HDTV receiver ONLY hooked up to the RGB input then it remembers my previous settings very well, but as soon as I

use an external switcher to switch between them, the Z1 gets confused.

The Z1 is very sensitive to long cable runs, switchers, etc which degrade the signal at all. I cannot get my Z1 to

sync to my HDTV receiver in 720P mode when running through the switchbox, and it occasionally has trouble in 1080i mode

as well. If you are going to use switchers/long cable runs with the Sanyo I would recommend only active switchers and

very high quality cables.

The best tweak in terms of PQ is the mode 16 tweak mentioned earlier. This really improves the gamma tracking of the

Z1. If you are adventurous you can try my settings:

Gamma: 1

R Gain: 7 -ish

B Gain: 8 -ish

G Gain: 7 -ish

Mode 16: 400

Brightness: 47 -ish

Contrast: 20 -ish

THe Z1 CANNOT achieve pixel-perfect mapping in "WIDE-THRU" because in this mode the Sanyo assumes 1186 horizontal pixels.

But Pstrip only allows the parameters to be integer multiples of 8, which 1186 is not.

It DOES matter which direction you turn the lens when de-focussing the image to minimize scan lines. I just wish I

could remember which direction was right :rolleyes:

The picture on this baby is AWESOME when properly adjusted. My girlfriend has gotten very jealous of my PJ, and is

constantly complaining that I spend more time with it than her. (Which is probably true, but that's just because the

only thing better the HDTV on this PJ is sex, and how long can that take?)

:D

As always, YMMV.

Peace out.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Thanks for your info! I hope to get a Z1 soon (opted to exchange the HT1000 I had...yes I'm a rainbow-seeing freak!).

As for the sex with the g/f thing, I think you need to cut down on the sex so that you can appreciate it more.

Too much sex kills kittens!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Thanks for the info. I just purchased a 1HD and am in the process of tweaking and installing. Currently I have a DIY mount I made based off the other ones discussed in the forum. (BTW, they are M6 screws on the 1HD, not M4)

I havn't had the time to sit down and do a full tweak yet. I did run the AVIA disk, and adjusted things to what looked great according to the charts, but then the very next scene on the disk where the person talking on the couch looked awful. Some stuff looks great, other stuff, the colors seem very strange. So I think I have some more tweaking to do.

Plus the fact my screen hasn't arrived yet, and I'm shooting at a white piece of paper, is also a factor.

Prior to putting the theater together in the living room, we re-painted. Did a foe-finish on the walls, that ended up turning out dark, but very red. Really, too dark. Almost depressing. Need to add some other sources of brightness in the room, that don't affect the projector image.

I've tried running searches to look for the old info, but the damn search engine won't accept 1hd or z1, even if there are other keywords in the box too. Fricking annoying. How are people supposed to search for treads?

Someone a while back was talking about putting together a spreadsheet with explainations as to what the different service menu settings do. Did that ever happen? If so I missed it.

Thanks again, if I can find my printout of how to get into the service menu, I'll try your tweaks.

-Jason W

·
Registered
904 Posts
golfnz34me -

Do your cables have a brand name?

And how long are they?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would sure like to know your firmware version, and how you got the pixel count etc. to be automatically loaded up when your desktop is at 960x540. I am using VGA from a HTPC, and its never working, sometimes I have to load up wide-thru first, then my mode 1 for it to work perfectly.

You must be mistaken with color settings etc. which does work.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had results when searching by adding Matinee 1HD or plv-z1 and sanyo plv-z1 ect. Good luck.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So many questions, where do I begin...

Breakstuff: I haven't gotten good cables yet, they will be coming soon. I only know the cheap cables I am currently using don't work well, and if I replace them with a short monitor cable everything works very well.

Toddklost: I don't do anything special to get my Z1 to sync at 960x540. I just adjust for pixel perfect mapping, save in a mode, and it is recalled successfully. However, as I said before, there are a few caveats:

1. A cheap cable can prevent the mode from being recalled properly.

2. A switcher will prevent the mode from being recalled properly.

3. It works better if you set your video card to recall the video mode at power-up, instead of waiting until powerstrip starts.

4. The timings must be clearly within the ranges which are recognized as "Wide Thru" (Please don't ask me what those ranges are).

Also, for the color settings to work properly it is first necessary to set mode 16 in the Service (Factory?)mode to about 400. Iy you don't do this it will be to dark.

Depending on the timings you set for the 960x540 mode, you can cause the Z1 to "see" the signal as one of the MAC timings instead of "Wide Thru". I also got this result when I tried to get pixel perfect using the adjustment controls on my Radeon 7500 card. So I just returned to the HDTV derived mode in powerstrip, adjusted the Z1 for pixel perfect, stored the mode and then was done.

turbo1: Mode 16: 400 means set mode 16 of the Service (Factory?) mode to 400. To get to this mode hold the Menu and Input buttons on the Z1 down simultaneously for a few seconds.

Best of luck to all!

Mike

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Quote:
My girlfriend has gotten very jealous of my PJ, and is constantly complaining that I spend more time with it than her. (Which is probably true, but that's just because the only thing better the HDTV on this PJ is sex, and how long can that take?)
FYI, the other day I saw your girlfriend surfing this forum...

j.k. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.