AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Z1 a week ago and love it so far. The picture is great. However, I am having 2 problems with it. One, the loud fan noise that comes on every 25 minutes, has been talked about often on this list.

The other problem has not been mentioned by anyone . The left vertical line of the picture is not 90 degrees to the bottom, it slants out slightly. Sort of looks like this \\. Though not that extreme. Please be aware that this is my first projector and therfore I may not know what I'm doing. But I have tried to rectify this problem by adjusting the projector every way possible. Is it just out of alignment? Should I return it, or bring it to a service center. Any advice would be appreciated.

Adam

NYC

·
Registered
90 Posts
The second problem you describe seems like your projector is shooting at an angle. Try swiveling the projector a bit to see if you can adjust it so the slant is the same on both sides. So instead of:

/ |

It should be more like:

/ \\

Then use keystone adjusment to get rid of the outward slant on the bottom.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Actually I faced the same probelm too. Even though my Z1 is level and parallel to the screen wall, the left vertical perimeter of the screen appears slightly slant and the top horizontal perimeter slant about 4 degree to the horizontal.

The fan noise is also erratic.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. And it's good to know I'm not the only one suffering from this problem.

That said I have tried swiviling, using the keystone, centering the projector so that I did not have to use the lens shift and none of this helped. Is it possible for something to be out of alignment? Could this be the problem that projectorcentral.com had with their test projector? I'm going to give the dealer I bought it from a call this morning and see what they suggest...

Adam

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
uh oh. I will have to check to see if I have this problem tonight. I don't have my z1 fully set up (waiting for mount) but i have tested it via table placement. However, even with the table mount, I have to angle the pj upwards to hit my screen so I never could see if it has correct geometry. Tonight I will shoot it onot a bare wall with the pj level and see if this is a problem.

·
Registered
361 Posts
projector central says there is an issue with optical geometry vs what it sees in the manual.

I know people have experinced that the side-lense-shift feature is more dramatic than is indicated in the manual...

I hope we all don't have bum units.

·
Registered
105 Posts
For those experiencing the problem, do you have the lens shift centered, or are you shifted to one extreme or another? I believe that with the lens shift centered, the projector lens is centered in the screen area. I'm wondering if this distortion is introduced as shift is increased.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just looked on http://www.projectorcentral.com/home_theater_watch.htm and oh my, I will tell me friend to hold off on that order for now :eek:

Unfortunately we are still having some trouble with the Sanyo PLV-Z1. The picture is great, but the optical geometry on our unit is not consistent with the specifications in the manual. Sanyo says our measurements are not representative of the product's performance and a new unit is being shipped to us. Thus we are delaying the review of this unit until we can secure a good review sample. We do not wish to post a review that is based upon a defective sample.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well, that explains why the bottom part of my picture is sliding down toward the left. Having the PJ centered, no keystone correction and no lens shift, all edges are straight (except right and left of course which goes a bit like this: / \\ , but that is normal) My top is perfectly horizontal and my bottom too (actually the top of the picture, since It's mounted upside down), except for the last left 30-40 cm of the picture, which are bent a bit down-wards. It may differ a 0.5 - 1 cm on my 190 cm wide screen. Not too noticeable unless I'm displaying a very bright picture. The picture is still in my black border so that helps a bit. I will certainly investigate this further, measuring, removing the PJ from my DIY ceiling mount and aligning the picture perfectly square on the wall.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sara
I just looked on http://www.projectorcentral.com/home_theater_watch.htm and oh my, I will tell me friend to hold off on that order for now :eek:

Unfortunately we are still having some trouble with the Sanyo PLV-Z1. The picture is great, but the optical geometry on our unit is not consistent with the specifications in the manual. Sanyo says our measurements are not representative of the product's performance and a new unit is being shipped to us. Thus we are delaying the review of this unit until we can secure a good review sample. We do not wish to post a review that is based upon a defective sample.
But they are telling that a long time.

I dont hope that is taking so long because they cant find a working one :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, I spoke to the dealer I bought the projector from and his fix seems to work. The problem was I had the front legs fully extended, which pointed the projector up at a 45 degree angle. Once I made it level again, and adjusted the lens shift it worked. Only problem is now I have to find another place to put the projector, the table I had it on is too low.

Adam

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
no problem wiht that here. Checked my z1 tonight via table placement. still no ceiling mount.:(

I did check out some more dvd clips (Goldmember on this baby is amazing. Talk about colours!) and tweaked my settings. This little projector is incredible.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Peerless said in two month, chief has no idea, meanwhile the z1 is sitting on a tripod. and I am in dismay. I know someone use a speaker mount and a 12X8 made a nice mount but I am just not good with home projects:(

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
my problem with doing a DIY mount like that is I need the thing to be flush wiht where i am going to mount it. if the extension between the brakcet and the pj is too long then people will be hitting their head on the projector.:( But hey, if it is going to take mroe than another week for someone to get some mounts out then to hell with it, I will build one myself.

damn ceiling mounts. I was told from the company I bought it from that they'd have mounts in today. No go. damn!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In addition to problems cause by using the projector legs please be aware that the lens shift at it's maximum moves the image more side to side then what's specified in the manual. When it is moved more then specifications the picture does become slightly distorted. Perhaps this is what projectorcentral.com was talking about...

Adam

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have noticed something at the screen picture of Z1. After you does you lens shifts and keystoning to get that retangular picture, it appears that there is some shadowy black border at the perimeter of the rectangular screen picture you have earlier adjusted. It is more apparent at Normal and Full mode. If you look at the whole screen, it appears trapezoidal even though the movie within the trapezium is rectangular (after adjustment). What is this black / grey shadowy border at the perimeter of the screen picture? Anybody notice this?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.