AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in college. I can buy the Z2 but I will be BROKE. Which isnt too big deal and will only last for about a week or two at the worst. But if I get the Z1 I will have nearly 1000 bucks laying around or if I get the L300 I will still have 500+ left over. With the Z1 or L300 I can also get an HDTV receiver and watch the Super Bowl how God intended. My only concern is that the contrast wont be enough with the Z1/L300. This will be my first projector, but I have seen the Screenplay 4800 in action a lot. 40 hrs or so. The only thing I dont like about the 4800 is the 4:3 native which wastes too much resolution for DVD (what I watch the most).

What would you do?

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I was going to advice just the opposite; buy the Z1 now, and wait until you have the cash for the Z2, or Z3, and then sell the Z1. I wouldn't spend all of my money on a projector.

In my mind:

HDTV STB + Z1 > Z2.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just had more or less the same decision to make. I went w/ the Z1 myself. The difference in performance vs. the difference in cost wasn't enough for me. I'd get the Z1 and wait for a Z3 or something like that...

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
If you get the Z2 and can't afford the HDTV receiver, most of the Z2's advantages will be wasted until you can afford the receiver.

How about Panny 300 + HDTV receiver? Can't you get a receiver for around $500. Or find a used Panny 300.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Hey, I just got my z1 and I'm also a college student. The Z2 is awsome but I can't imagine spending 2 grand right now. Instead I spent 1 grand and I still get an excellent quality picture. In a couple of years I should have enough to go with whatever the hottest thing out is, but the Z1 is more than enough to hold me down for now.

·
Banned
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
can any of you compare the picture of the Z1 to the X1? Is the perceived contrast between the two comparable? I think the X1 picture quality is just fine, I just want 16:9 native.

·
Banned
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was about to go with the Z1 so I could buy the HDTV receiver now. But now I'm thinking I'll have regrets if I don't get the Z2 now. I can save up and buy the receiver later. I won't be buying a new projector for 4 years or so I would imagine, and I think I might wish I had the Z2 for HD down the road...

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Oh, if you're going to keep it for 4 years, most definitely get the Z2. You'll want the resolution and the DVI input. We're used to folks trading every year or two like us. If it's a keeper, get the Z2 or Panny 500.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a similar conundrum--I have not upgraded my home theater in about three years and am eager to set up some front projection/HD action. I have contemplated the Z1, Z2, L300, L500, and even the X1. like ShagnWagn, the Z2 (or certainly L500) would break my budget. I am leaning toward the L300 because of its price point, purportedly lower screendoor effect than the z1, and DVI input. (If anyone has other suggestions about this thinking I'm glad to hear them).

My main question pertains to the DVI connection and HDCP. it's my understanding that the DVI in on the L300 is not HDCP enabled. Reviews I've read of the V Bravo D1 dvd player suggest it's a good value, and since its DVI out is also not HDCP enabled that is a plus. Since the L300 affords me some spending $$ for DVI cables, new dvd player, and possibly even HD tuner, is this still a good plan of action? I plan on using a DIY screen and having the projector for at least 2 full years. Since i've never had hdtv, is the component connection (which is obviously not hdcp) still excellent, and will it be functional a few years from now? i read somewhere that hdcp was the way all hd material would be going. is non-hdcp dvi a bad play?

sorry to be long-winded, it's my first time posting ;)

thanks,

matt

·
Registered
476 Posts
dude if i was broke and in college i would keep the money for something important like parties and women. Just kidding but seriously you never know when you might need the extra cash(what if your friends go on a trip? backpack in europe? go snowboarding, ect.ect.ect.). College is the time to live it up. Even if you weren't in college i wouldn't advise you to go for broke on a projector. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
velvetpoet said my thoughts exactly ...

But on the other hand, if you have a projector, your room will now become the "party room" which means charging a couple bucks to come in and watch the Superbowl ... bring beer donations ... bring women donations ... etc.

That said ... I certainly wouldn't make myself broke.

With that in mind, I would recommend the L300 and save the $500 because I personally prefer the picture on the L300 over the Z1.

BUT ... then I thought better.

Being in college, the last thing you are going to need to do is deal with a repair issue. The Panny only carries a 1 year warranty where as the Z1 is 3 years.

Which makes me lean toward the Z1.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I was trying to decide between Z2 and Z1. Would have had to wait for the Z2, and it seems the whole DVI thing is still evolving. So, decided to get the Z1 now (right before Christmas). 105 bulb hours later I am VERY happy I did. The picture is very enjoyable to say the least (102" 16:9 Carada screen). I figure in around 18-24 months the next couple of generations of PJs will be considerably better, and I'll probably be able to purchase current $6K+ performance at around $2K. And maybe the DVI HDMI thing will be more figured out. I'll bet it won't be difficult to sell a well taken care of Z1 for a reasonable price. . .

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ericbres
The Panny only carries a 1 year warranty where as the Z1 is 3 years.

Which makes me lean toward the Z1.
That is one of the reasons I chose the Z1. To me a 1 year warranty is useless.

IF I had to choose between the Z2 and Panny 500....Z2 wins again because of warranty.....it makes a difference in the long run. Especially if you plan on keeping it more than 1 year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
are there that many maintenance issues with projectors that would necessitate a sacrifice in picture quality for two additional years of coverage? do these warranties cover replacement bulbs? i have not seen either the z1 or the L300 in action--how much am i losing in terms of picture quality by having more screendoor effect and giving up the dvi input?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Well, no warranty will cover maintenance on a projector. But yes, repairs can be quite costly. I don't think I have ever seen a projector repair cheaper than $400 that actually needed parts.

In many cases ... the cost of a repair can exceed the cost of a replacement projector (if that makes any sense, but I have seen it). Just a simple power supply failure can cost $500+ when you include labor and shipping ...

But also no ... the warranty doesn't cover the lamp. They are 90 days for the lamp which shipped with the projector. Sanyo warranties any replacement lamp for 30 days from date of purchase ... Panasonic is 90 days for both (new and replacement).

·
Registered
6 Posts
sorry one more thing--how essential is a progressive scan dvd player? if i get the z1, with no dvi input, i will be less motivated to get a new dvd player (i currently have a pioneer that has served me well but is not progressive). can the component signal from the dvd player be upconverted by the projector, or has the interlacing damage already be done at that point in the signal line? any good, cheap progressive players?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.