AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had planned to mount my Z10000 on a sloped wall with the correct mounting brackets, but then I came up with the idea of just making a shelf above my back row of seats to set the Z10000 on.

Here are the pros and cons of each and a few questions I had:

Ceiling: The special mounts and brackets cost a bit more than making a shelf, but the projector is higher up and closer to the screen. This means that projector will be less noisy.

Back wall: It will only be about 2 feet about the middle seat, which may be more audible and possibly warmer. The projector is also farther away but close to center of the screen height. Cheaper to build and easier to reach and tweak the inputs.

Would the back wall result in problems like hotspotting or direct reflection back to the projector? Or would hotspotting be more apparent in the ceiling mount due to it being closer to the minimum projector distance from the screen?

· Registered
13,057 Posts
You have some tradeoffs to consider. I don't think price needs to be one of them - you can get the Chief RPA-006 mount for about $140.

Ideally you want to mount the pj towards the end of its throw range because it helps maximize contrast and reduce any hotspotting.

I think the rough formula that Stewart uses with the Firehawk is that ideally to eliminate hotspotting they recommend your throw be close to 2x your screen width, or longer.

With a ceiling mount the pj needs to be somewhere between the top and bottom of the screen's viewable area. I think with a shelf mount it is the same. For best results on the Firehawk it is recommended that the pj is ceiling mounted because they want the angle to the screen from the ceiling. Of course if your shelf is about as high than that doesn't really matter - the point is that Stewart recommends ceiling vs. table mount for the FH.

I have the 10000 and Firehawk and think it is a fanastic combination.

· Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lovingdvd,

Thanks...

My ceiling mount would put the projector about 1ft below the top of the screen. The shelf would put the projector at about dead center of the screen. I was wondering if there was any problems that would arise from having the projector aimed directly at the screen rather than off-centered (higher), like most ceiling mounts are?

My angled mount cost around $199 and I could add a shelf for about $20.

· Registered
298 Posts
Max:

I purchased the Chief anlged bracket and the Chief mount for my Z10000. The angle bracket was not very expensive. You might want to call our hosts at AVS for a quote. This set up works great for me.

· Registered
13,057 Posts
Max - would the throw distance be similar shelf vs. ceiling mounted?

Assuming that the ceiling mount will not cause you a significantly reduced throw distance (compared to the shelf) I'd certainly recommend going with the ceiling mount.

For one, the Firehawk (and I believe other similar screens) will produce the best image with the extra angle introduced by the ceiling mount. In fact Stewart does recommend this over a straight line application like you'd be doing with your shelf mount.

Secondly, the Sharp 10k noise level is within the tolerable range but it certainly is noticable at times. Everyone's tolerance for noise level seems a bit different. Personally I want my ears as far away from the unit as possible - its bad enough I'm sitting right under it now with it ceiling mounted, but that's got to be better than it sitting just being me and 2 feet over my head.

Another point to consider is that if you have kids or kids may be in your house from time to time, having it on the ceiling gets it away from their little fingers... From what you describe it sounds like a little one could stand on your seat and get their hands on the pj - not a good thing.

Lastly IMO after what you're spending on the Sharp 10k extra some odd $100 for the Chief mount should not be a factor so to make your decision easier I'd recommend you do not factor cost into it. Go with that is going to provide the best picture. Remember you're overall experience and enjoyment with the pj is going to be tied to your weakest link in the system.

· Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lovingdvd,

Great comments and insights on your part. For the cost of the projector, you are correct that the difference in cost for the mounts is really not a factor....and the price I quoted was for the angled bracket, flush pole, and chief mount.

The shelf would only be about 1 and a half foot further back than the ceiling mount.

· Registered
13,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MaxC
lovingdvd,

Great comments and insights on your part. For the cost of the projector, you are correct that the difference in cost for the mounts is really not a factor....and the price I quoted was for the angled bracket, flush pole, and chief mount.

The shelf would only be about 1 and a half foot further back than the ceiling mount.
How wide is your screen? What diag? How far would your throw be from the position on the ceiling. Estimate that your throw will be about 1 foot shorter than the mounting position on the ceiling because of the length of the pj and lens, so account for that in the throw you give me. Also what is the throw range for your particular diag (trying to get a feel for whether you're on the short end, long end or near the middle of the allowable range). Lastly do you plan to go with the Firehawk (highly recommended)?

· Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I currently have a 92x52 Da-Lite High Contrast screen (1.1) in Cinema Contour with velour screen. I am getting samples of the high power (due to the already excellent contrast of the projector) and the Cinemavision (1.3).

I am on the short end, which is why I am trying to maximize my distance. My throw is around 14~15ft.

· Registered
298 Posts
Max:

I'm using the Cinemavision (1.3) and am very pleased with the results. I'm interested in learning how it compares to the High Contrast Cinemavision.

· Registered
13,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MaxC
I currently have a 92x52 Da-Lite High Contrast screen (1.1) in Cinema Contour with velour screen. I am getting samples of the high power (due to the already excellent contrast of the projector) and the Cinemavision (1.3).

I am on the short end, which is why I am trying to maximize my distance. My throw is around 14~15ft.
Bottom line is this - if you go with the High Power then you *definately* want to go with your shelf mount since it will put it in a direct line with the screen. The High Power is retro-reflective which means that the angle the light hits the screen at is very important. If you ceiling mount, at best you'll likely wind up with close to half the 3.0 gain compare to if you mount it in line with the screen.

If you decide to go with the Firehawk or screen with similar characteristics the ceiling mount will be best.

I think the High Power is an excellent screen and I considered it closely due to recommendations here. However IMO this screen is best if you either a) have a fair amount or more of ambient light that you cannot control, or b) like to view with quite a bit of room lighting. Otherwise if you have total light control and like to watch in a near dark or total dark room, then you will get significantly better color saturation with the Firehawk. I don't want this to turn into a Firehawk vs. High Power thread as there have been tons of those. But unless ambient light is an issue for you just remember that with the high power your whites are much whiter but your blacks are equally whiter - there is no such things as a free lunch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.