AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2HD (Z2) and Bravo D1 connected via 5M DVI cable. I can't get the projector to sync with the D1 in DVI 720p mode. It does connect at DVI 480p, but at 720p it just flashes. Can someone tell me the right settings for the 2HD/Z2? Do I need the D1 firmware upgrade with custom DVI settings? Thx.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Sounds like its the HDCP. Make sure your input 2 is set to "RGB (AV HDCP)".

If after setting your input to HDCP it still just flashes, try unplugging the DVI cable (from either the player or the PJ) wait a second and then plug it back in.

Thats how I got everything working with the HD931 when I had it. I also have to do this if I turn my computer on before I change my input.

EDIT: Obviously with my PC its not an HDCP issue. The unplugging and plugging back in of the DVI cable just seems to help the PJ sync up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the same set up (Lindy 5m cable) and all is well. During the intial setup I had both composite and dvi hooked up since the D1 defaults to 480 out of the box (or so I've read). Once I changed the D1 settings to output 720p and the 2HD to input 2 (AV HDCP) they sincronized just fine. I removed the composite connection and have never looked back!

FYI- when I tried switching to component from dvi and the 2HD wouldn't detect the signal on input 1 until the projector was turned off and then back on...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx all for your response. Still no luck at 720p. I am using input2 set to RGB (AV HDCP). I tried plugging and unplugging the cable and power on/off of both PJ and D1. I will try to get another DVI cable today.

BTW, the picture at 480p is outstanding. I did basic calibration last night with DVE and the contrast is much improved with DVI vs component.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the Z2 Input 2 (AV HDCP) / D1 (6' DVI) - great picture 720p or 1080i; but 480p has terrible VB. Any thoughts? I have composite & component connected to a Samsung DVD/VCR - 480p/component looks great - 480i/composite looks very good. Should I not try to send 480p through the DVI? I guess there is no need to since everything else looks so good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Turns out it was my cable. Funny thing is that I replaced a heavy duty cable (5M) that I bought from an online cable store with a much thinner looking cable (also 5M) from a local computer store. 720p now works beautifully.

Pixlar,

I don't see any VB (that my amateur eyes can see) at 480p.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Custom DVI Timings for the D1 and Z2

HorizFreq 44760 VertFreq 6000

Videowith 1280 Videoheight 0720

HSyncTotal 1664 PreHSync 0056

HSyncActive 0136 PostHSync 0192

VSyncTotal 0746 PreVSync 0001

VSyncActive 0003 PostVSync 0022

HSyncPol 0000 VSyncPol 0000

Remember to write down the original settings as there is no way to get them back after you change them. Also, the D1 is not a HDCP device so if there is a connection problem it is most likely the cable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Canscape,

Per prev post, it was the cable. Are these timing settings what you use for the D1 firmware? Now that I have the D1/2HD syncing at 720p, is there a benefit to these custom settings?

·
Registered
20 Posts
The benefit is 1:1 pixel mapping. The default output of the d1 dvi port is 1024x768 so the Z2 must upsize that image to 1280x720 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Changing the output to 1280x720 eliminates the need for any conversion and *should* yield a better picture. Check out this link:

http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/s...threadid=90884

for test patterns and examples of what it looks like with and without 1:1 pixel mapping.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by canscape
The benefit is 1:1 pixel mapping. The default output of the d1 dvi port is 1024x768 so the Z2 must upsize that image to 1280x720 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Changing the output to 1280x720 eliminates the need for any conversion and *should* yield a better picture. Check out this link:

http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/s...threadid=90884

for test patterns and examples of what it looks like with and without 1:1 pixel mapping.
Thats why he is choosing to output 720p (a.k.a. 1280x720 progressive). Your custom resolution is simply duplicating what the 720p setting already does.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I started a thread about this, but it has since died.

For those with the Z2/Bravo D1 combination using DVI at 720p, have you come across this issue:

For some DVDs, the picture is not going full out in one of the dimensions. For example, the Hulk is 16:9 ratio, so it should be full out on the Z2, but I have about inch wide black bars top and bottom.

Bringin' down the House is also 16:9, but it had inch wide black bars left and right.

Shrek is 16:9 and it was full out as I would expect.

Godzilla (with Mathew Broderick) is 1:2.35 or 1:85 so there are supposed to be black bars top and bottom, but I also had inch wide black bars left and right.

Is this a common issue that people are just dealing with or is there something going on with my setup???

- jason

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jebersole
I started a thread about this, but it has since died.

For those with the Z2/Bravo D1 combination using DVI at 720p, have you come across this issue:

For some DVDs, the picture is not going full out in one of the dimensions. For example, the Hulk is 16:9 ratio, so it should be full out on the Z2, but I have about inch wide black bars top and bottom.

Bringin' down the House is also 16:9, but it had inch wide black bars left and right.

Shrek is 16:9 and it was full out as I would expect.

Godzilla (with Mathew Broderick) is 1:2.35 or 1:85 so there are supposed to be black bars top and bottom, but I also had inch wide black bars left and right.

Is this a common issue that people are just dealing with or is there something going on with my setup???

- jason
I had this problem.

Make sure the TV type setting on your D1 is set to 16:9

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.