AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've seen reference to this somewhere before on the forum, but my searches are coming up empty. I apologize for not being able to find it...

Anyway, I'm sending 720p from Bravo D1 to Z2 using DVI. Looks great, but I noticed on a couple of DVDs (so far) that the pic is not filling the screen completely. (I'm talking about material that is supposed to be 1:1.78, not the wider 1:2.35 stuff where there is obviously black bars at the top and bottom.)

On The Hulk, I had thin bars on the top and bottom. On Bringin' Down the House, I had thin bars on the sides. I'm only talking about maybe an inch on each side.

Is this because the movie is not really 16:9 but short in either dimension and since the Bravo/Z2 combination is 1:1 pixel mapping it is not scaling to fill?

- jason

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
is this only an issue with certain dvds? I have heard others say when sending a 720p signal that there is a window box effect going on where each side has about an inch of border.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Try this...

When setting up the DVI out push 9713.

Write down your current settings.

Enter these... (thanks to canscape)

Custom DVI Timings for the D1 and Z2

HorizFreq 44760 VertFreq 6000

Videowith 1280 Videoheight 0720

HSyncTotal 1664 PreHSync 0056

HSyncActive 0136 PostHSync 0192

VSyncTotal 0746 PreVSync 0001

VSyncActive 0003 PostVSync 0022

HSyncPol 0000 VSyncPol 0000

gives 1:1 pixel mapping.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Mathis
Try this...

Do you mean from the D1 video settings screen in setup? Does the D1 need to have a certian firmware version to do this?

thanks, jason

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rlindo
is this only an issue with certain dvds? I have heard others say when sending a 720p signal that there is a window box effect going on where each side has about an inch of border.
On the two DVDs I referenced above, the thin black bars weren't all the way around. Again, on one it was on the left and right, and the other was top and bottom.

I will check Shrek, but I think it's full out. I'm going to try the custom settings tonight...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've seen the issue on my D1/Z2 setup also. I've noticed the problem has come and gone on different viewing of the same DVD but can't remember which one, didn't really bother me. The worst DVD's are non-anamorphic when you need to use the zoom feature to fill the screen. I will check out more disks and repost.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Mathis
Try this...

I was able to input these settings, but the only thing I could get out of the player was a narrow blue-tinted picture. If I hit the "TV Mode" button until "720P" displayed in the player lcd window, the pic would go back to the way it was with the thin black bars either top and bottom or sides.

I confirmed last night that Shrek is truly full out. Hulk is black bars top and bottom. Bringing Down the House is black bars on the sides. It has been consistent so far with these DVDS.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by canscape
Hi,

Did you check your screen type in initial settings?

Bravo D1 --> Setup --> Initial Settings --> TV Type --> 16:9

Works for me on the Hulk. Let me know
Yup, mine is set to 16:9...

·
Registered
861 Posts
I have an issue with "Gangs of New York shifting about 5% to the right. So far it is the only DVD with which I have had problems. Lots of heavy edge enhancement with the bravo but no other problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.