AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it seems the Z2s are shipping in the US while Sanyo Canada still has yet to receive and deliver (or is it just me?). Sorry to repeat existing threads (Z2 availability thread, etc.), but I haven't heard any positive messages from the Canadian contingent recently. Also I thought it'd be interesting to see how many Canadians are still waiting (and where they are) as well as how many already have their Z2s. Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
291 Posts
I ordered from B&H in NYC in late Nov. and received it by Dec 1.

They emailed yesterday BTW, saying they now have them in stock. I was just lucky getting one so early I suppose. Paid "up front" as they were NOT in stock and waited. But the wait was hardly a wait at all.

No need to limit yourself to CDN dealers IMO.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
No need to limit yourself to CDN dealers IMO
I agree. In my case, when I ordered in mid December nobody had them in stock so my preference was to go with someone local.

BTW I just heard Canada did receive a limited shipment, but not nearly enough to fill the backorder.

Mike

·
Registered
271 Posts
Nice to see a few of us north of the border are still anxiously waiting for our Z2s. Pre ordered mine on Dec.21 and as of Jan.16 was told it would be approx. 3 weeks or so. I actually am trying to get a SE 2HD but if not, I won't shun a Z2! Hopefully we will see some progress soon. Geez, if I had my eyes on a RPTV or even a higher end FP I would have been settled in! Let's see if we can keep each other informed on when it is received. :) :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Regarding the logistics about buying from the states....what about the warranty? I was told "the warranty for all projectors purchased in the US will only be valid in the US". However I did notice with the exchange rate it is cheaper to go that route.

Doesn't make much difference to me now, as I am sticking with the local guy but I'm just curious...

·
Registered
291 Posts
I am reluctant to permit the CDN government and CDN merchants to rape my wallet over warranty issues.

I take my chances.

If I needed warranty work, I'd contact Sanyo Canada first. If they refused, I'd send the machine back to US friends for service.

Obviously that would quickly negate any savings and more. I hope it doesn't happen. But, it is a chance I have taken many times. Perhaps my ways will catch up to me someday but, "so far, so good." :>)

Quote:
Originally posted by mcmg
Regarding the logistics about buying from the states....what about the warranty? I was told "the warranty for all projectors purchased in the US will only be valid in the US". However I did notice with the exchange rate it is cheaper to go that route.

Doesn't make much difference to me now, as I am sticking with the local guy but I'm just curious...

·
Registered
306 Posts
dawziecat, SANYO CANADA will deny any free service for PJs bought outside of the country. I know this for a fact. (I dealt with SANYO CANADA).

I am glad I bought mine here so after a long battle with them I got my way. Nothing has an effect like saying: "i'll see you in court" :)

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I got one of the first Z2's available in Canada. I'm not sure what pricing people are getting from the USA... but if it's $2kUS, you can buy a Canadian Z2 at the same price point WITH local warranty.

In fact, I think you'll pay slightly more in Ontario to import one from the USA than you can get a Canadian one for AND you'll lose the warranty.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I ckecked with a dealer in quebec, they claimed a two week wait when I checked several weeks ago. Because I live in Ontario, I'd save the pst and they had free shipping along with the Sanyo three year waranty. the price should be within about $100.00 Cdn of the best price you could find anywhere else on the planet. the few hundred you save on not paying pst makes it really worth while buying out of province without all the shipping and duty hassles of buying from the US or overseas, I'll be buying all my HT gear in this fashion.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by phaselocd
the few hundred you save on not paying pst makes it really worth while buying out of province without all the shipping and duty hassles of buying from the US or overseas, I'll be buying all my HT gear in this fashion.
You go right ahead. You have what you feel is a winning formula . . .and the government loves you for it.

I'll carry on as I have. I have not been burned yet.

I have not found any "shipping and duty hassles" BTW.

Just lower prices and better availability in most (not all) cases.

To each his own.

In the meantime, I've had my Z2 for two months now . . . it arrived about 10 days after I ordered it.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Did anyone near Waterloo, ON or Edmonton actually see a Z2 at a dealer

before ordering. I was hoping to have made a purchase already but

work and some other renovations have caused a delay in building my HT.

I would love to see either a Z2 or an HS20 in action before I buy.

By the way, I am very pleased to see the number of Canadian

participants in this forum. Even with the potential to buy online

it is still nice to know that one might be able to get some local

info. Also as a new member I have been extremely impressed

by how generous many of the people on this forum are.

Regards

Brian

·
Registered
96 Posts
Quote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You go right ahead. You have what you feel is a winning formula . . .and the government loves you for it.

I'll carry on as I have. I have not been burned yet.

I have not found any "shipping and duty hassles" BTW.

Just lower prices and better availability in most (not all) cases.

To each his own.

In the meantime, I've had my Z2 for two months now . . . it arrived about 10 days after I ordered it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have bought plenty of stuff stateside - but only when I'm really saving a significant amount, relatively. If possible, I prefer to buy in Canada. So on a purchase of a few thousand if the price is only around $100.00 more here, that's where I'll go. I just feel better personally doing it this way and hope other fellow Canucks buy at home when it makes sense too.

Speaking of getting burned - last year I bought my panasonic RP82 on line at futureshop, it dissapeared into the ether !!. I still managed to track one down after a week of phone calls, a demo unit, likely the last unit in the GTA , you guessed it, I found it at ..........futureshop.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Did anyone near Waterloo, ON or Edmonton actually see a Z2 at a dealer before ordering.
Very unlikely with the current backorder situation, anybody that did is probably one of the lucky few. I suspect most people are like myself, looked at several different projector models in person (with various specs) and came to some sort of conclusion that the Z2 specs/reviews/comments fit within their needs and expectations.

Hopefully this will all change in a month or two and you will get the chance to see your choices in person before ordering.

FYI: You can phone Sanyo Canada directly, and they will give you the names of all the dealers near you, then you can contact them directly for a demo. Failing that, someone is collecting names of people who are willing to demo their projectors (since it is so hard to track down places to demo them) at projectordemos.com. I'm not sure how many names are in there yet and I suspect the ones that are are all US based but maybe you'll get lucky and someone close to you will sign up if you can't find any dealers with units to demo.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A dealer in Edmonton had one a couple of weeks ago. At the time it was simply sitting on a shelf...not sure if it's hooked up and running yet.....BTW, his displayed price was $3995...maybe that's retail!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by phaselocd
I ckecked with a dealer in quebec, they claimed a two week wait when I checked several weeks ago. Because I live in Ontario, I'd save the pst and they had free shipping along with the Sanyo three year waranty. the price should be within about $100.00 Cdn of the best price you could find anywhere else on the planet. the few hundred you save on not paying pst makes it really worth while buying out of province without all the shipping and duty hassles of buying from the US or overseas, I'll be buying all my HT gear in this fashion.
And the Z2 will be shipped to you from Sanyo in Woodbridge. To ship from the USA will require payment of GST, PST, shipping, brokerage fees and possibly Duty (depending on how it's classified). This is one of the rare instances where you can do better buying Canadian... unless you smuggle one across the border. "nothing to declare, officer". :D

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I'm going to have to close this down before it gets out of hand. Pricing and "where to buy" is not allowed on AVS.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.