AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my Z2 about ten days ago. No VB. No FPN. I'm using a 106" Da-Lite High Power screen. Color, brightness, and contrast, so far, are just right.

The only thing I'd like to adjust, which I'll assume is in the service menu, is the white level. When something comes on the screen that is white it just washes out and looks "super-white." Way to bright in comparison to the rest of the screen.

Pio2001, Buns, Vlad, anyone? Could you guys take a stab at making recommendations?

While I'm at it ... has anyone documented the Sanyo supplied settings for firmware 104? If anyone has, I'd like to have a copy of all of the service mode and factory mode settings. My brother played around in my settings and I'm not sure he didn't accidentally modify them (we co-own the PJ). Yea, I smacked his fingers and called him a bad boy .

·
Registered
527 Posts
im not entirely sure what the problem is.... are you clipping the white such that above a certain level you cant tell the difference between any of the whites? Or do you mean that dark shades are all very dark and then suddenly everything becomes much brighter?

The first scenario would be the white level or contrast control. The user contrast is a good start and if you must go into the service, i think setting 16 might help, but i advise care and suggest sticking to the user menu in this instance.

Second instance would be gamma which is way wrong, far too high i believe. Again I would suggest sticking in the user menu simply with the gamma control.

all the best

ad

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Cuppett
I received my Z2 about ten days ago. No VB. No FPN. I'm using a 106" Da-Lite High Power screen. Color, brightness, and contrast, so far, are just right.

The only thing I'd like to adjust, which I'll assume is in the service menu, is the white level. When something comes on the screen that is white it just washes out and looks "super-white." Way to bright in comparison to the rest of the screen.

Pio2001, Buns, Vlad, anyone? Could you guys take a stab at making recommendations?

While I'm at it ... has anyone documented the Sanyo supplied settings for firmware 104? If anyone has, I'd like to have a copy of all of the service mode and factory mode settings. My brother played around in my settings and I'm not sure he didn't accidentally modify them (we co-own the PJ). Yea, I smacked his fingers and called him a bad boy .

Clipped whites is a problem a lot of us have out of box with the Z2, so you are not alone. Rlindo made a good post sometime back about how he solved or at least helped the problem. Do a search and I am sure you will find all you need to know.

Andrew

·
Registered
28 Posts
gary, colud you post your factory and service values????I'd like to try that values in my Z2 to change the bad vb.....

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote:
Every machine is different - somebody elses settings will probably look crap with your machine. If your image was near perfect, why'd you let your 'brother' frig with the settings ?

@gogu: You just don't take a hint do you ? There's no 'magic' solution...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Quote:
The first analysis I did helped me with this issue : http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=339768

EDIT : look at section 4.2 correction.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
I lowered setting 16 which helped with my super white/highlight detail crushing problem. I went from 540 for that setting down to 520.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pio2001 and rlindo ..... thank you very much for taking my question most seriously.

My brother, gotta love'em ... he, like myself, avidly reads this forum and he quickly discovered he was -way- out of his league. Once he discovered he'd modified some settings he swore off touching any controls further. I'm older ... he's bigger ... he doesn't take "no" lightly. I'm the more technical, he car tune a car wonderfully .... each in their own element, I might say.

The essence of my original post was that I was already happy with all things new and spectular with my Z2 and screen ...... I just needed a handy leg up in reducing a single specific problem.

Still .... I would most like having a copy of anyone's 104 firmware level service mode and factory mode settings to just make sure, at least, that voltages weren't modified and risk my investment.

Pio2001, rlindo ... thanks again, guys.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Having made a request for help it's only fitting that I give some results back ... based on my circumstance.

My Z2 has 104 firmware .... where rlindo reduced his service mode #16 value from 540 to 520 .... I encountered an initial value of 524 and didn't achieve significant results until I dropped the value to 460. I believe the reason for this must be due to the very high gain of my Da-Lite High Power screen. Okay so far. Now on to the user settings menu.

Contrast -13

Brightness +2

Color -10 (I'd prefer -8, but the wife wants punch right now ... I want realism)

Tint 0

Color temp. Mid

Red 0

Green 0

Blue 0

sharpness +7 (crisp, crisp, crisp)

Gamma +7

Auto grayscale off

Progressive L1 (does L2 actually do -anything-?)

Film off

My assessment is that I achieve very good detail in the shadows, adequate black (I feel greyish tones serve better, overall, than just solid black anyway), white level is under control. The goal being to achieve a very balanced, natural, experience. Punch, I might say!

All, in all, I've achieved really good results by just modifying one service mode setting (except for possible mods by my bro, by accident?) ..... and adjusting user menu settings a little.

Now it's on to doing what I paid the bucks for ----- watch HDTV!!!!!!

Maybe I'll get the itch another time and take a longer look at Pio2001 and rlindo additional settings and see if there's additional gold in them thar hills fer me ..............

Okay, I can't stand it.

Given my experience so far, guys (Pio2001/rlindo), can you post your favorite, overall, settings in the service menu ... I've seen them elsewhere in here, but I have a heck of a time finding anything in here. Besides, I'm a fifty-two year old kid and I have a terrific cold and just darn cranky and impatient. Then, again, I'll take any and all assistance and run with the ball and come back with results. Frankly, from what I've experienced with the High Power screen, the settings are truly unique to situation ................. but your settings could be a guide.

My wire hair fox terrier just saw a four foot tall cat and just freaked out! She'll just have to get used to that

·
Registered
370 Posts
Quote:
can you post your favorite, overall, settings in the service menu ... I've seen them elsewhere in here, but I have a heck of a time finding anything in here.
Here's what happened when I tried someone else's settings : http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...42#post3171742

Therefore I disadvise you to try someone else settings on your unit. At best, the picture will be so much distorded that you will quickly go back to your previous settings, but if it looks acceptable, there is a risk that you keep them just trusting our word, while they actually don't fit your PJ.

I must admit, however, that I never tried to change the factory menu. Maybe if we combine user+service+factory settings, we can get similar results from a unit to another, but I don't think so. It would mean that the factory settings are untuned and that the service process only tries to correct the defect introduced on purpose in the factory settings !

·
Registered
226 Posts
Quote:

My wire hair fox terrier just saw a four foot tall cat and just freaked out! She'll just have to get used to that
LOL :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
in my opinion, if we change factory service and user menu', we could have a unit equal to the one we take from the values.....why don't we try???you you give me values of a perfect Z2 i'll try that in my z2 to test if this is true....so please, post your values!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.