AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Done lots of reading and searching (great site) on the Z2 and without actually being able to set up a Z2 at home and test it, I was hoping for a little input from owners if they thought it would work in my situation.

In my case I do not have a dedicated HT room and will (hopefully if I can convince the war office) be setting up in a family room.

Light control is an issue, but I have resigned to the fact that I will be using the Z2 "after dark" for mostly DVD watching (PAL country) and in the future HDTV as more of it becomes available.

The "better half" is not going to let me ceiling mount the pj, so a coffee table set up is the way I'll be heading.

I am planning to get a 100" (diagonal) electric screen (9ft ceiling) that will drop down in front of my current TV / ht racks etc.

Throw distance from coffee table (16" high) to screen will be approx. 10 ft 2" and using the pj central calculator, I believe I can get 100" at nearly max zoom.

Being a family room, seating distances vary from 6 ft 6" being one end of the closest sofa to 9 ft 5", 12 ft 8" and 14 ft at other seating distances around the room.

I would imagine that screen door will be an issue from the 6 ft 6" distance (not really a concern as rarely sit in that position) but I was wondering if the other distances would be OK as far as screen door goes on a 100" screen with the Z2 ?

·
Banned
962 Posts
Screen door on this projector is not an issue at all unless you are very pickey. I just got mine today and finished watching my first movie on it. Looked great! I like it better than the 4800 I demoed for sure. I liked the 4800 though and almost kept it because I was fearful of LCD, but now that I've seen it I like it a lot. The DLP gave me a little eye strain, none with the Z2 (100" screen as well). And no light spill! I also got to watch CSI in HD tonight, it was schweet :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
I also live in a PAL country and use it in Living room with white walls and currently only use a very cheap DIY screen (Greyscreen on order) and I agree to everyone above. Forget screendoor, not an issue. Also pixelation is much less than 4800. I also tested Z1 and 4800 before I ended up with Z2. No doubt in my mind that Z2 overall suits me better than 4800. Z1 had much SDE. And 4800 were a strain on the eyes, and the rainbow effect where just far too much for both me and my wife. So overall very pleased with the Z2 in the living room. Your better half will also like the lens-shift function that will allow you to place it where it suits her :D

I sit 3.5 meters away from a 2 meter wide screen. Can't see any SDE until about 2 meters away.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ShagnWagon
Screen door on this projector is not an issue at all unless you are very pickey.
Sorry, I don't mean to bust on you... but this statement isn't correct.

The screen door on a Z2 is not an issue for you... which is great. But it really isn't a function of pickiness. It is a function of viewing distance to screen width ratio.

So your statement should be qualified with something like "Screen door at 2x viewing ratio is not an issue unless you are very picky."

You don't need to be picky to notice screendoor at 1x.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nickoff
Being a family room, seating distances vary from 6 ft 6" being one end of the closest sofa to 9 ft 5", 12 ft 8" and 14 ft at other seating distances around the room.

I would imagine that screen door will be an issue from the 6 ft 6" distance (not really a concern as rarely sit in that position) but I was wondering if the other distances would be OK as far as screen door goes on a 100" screen with the Z2 ?
Assuming: 7.5' wide screen... the viewing distance to screen width ratios are:

6.5': 7.5' = .86 = Highly visible screendoor

9.5': 7.5' = 1.26 = Visible screendoor

12.5': 7.5' = 1.66 = Should not be visible most of the time... perhaps some peekaboo effect on bright scenes

14' : 7.5' = 1.86 = Should not be visible.

The visibililty will vary with your visual acuity. If it bothers you, you can always move further back.... or (*SHOCK*) make the screen a bit smaller. :D

I view at 1.9x ratio and do not ever notice the screendoor. If I move my seating forward so that I view at 1.5x... I find the screendoor visible and somewhat annoying. I usually defocus the image somewhat at that viewing distance.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a z2, currently mounted on a table, projecting onto a 110" Wide screen (119" diag) Da lite Hi Power, and at 15' away I can see screen door on bright scenes, such as snow, light sky, even faces in close up. Very slight defocus helps tremendously.

I think the "magic distance" for me is about 1.5x image width for seeing screen door.

·
Registered
33 Posts
In defense of ShagnWagon's statement about being "Picky"; my boys (12 and 7 yrs.) prefer to sit on the floor 6' from the screen rather than the sofa 10' from the screen even though I have carefully pointed out the screen-door and that "4 star General MOM" doesn't want them sitting that close.

Then again 7 and 12 year olds don't understand the math about screen-door and viewing distances which, by the way, was correct.

·
Registered
306 Posts
My screen is 83" diagonal

Width: 6 foot

primary viewing distance: 16 feet (2.66 ratio)

secondary: 11.5 feet (1.9 ratio)

SDE disappears for me at 16'. i can still see it at 14-15 though.

I always view it at the 16'. most everybody else are happy at the closer seating position at 11 feet

the type of screen you have also plays a significant role whether you'll see the SD. If you have a bright screen you'll probably need to move a bit further to loose SDE completely compared to a grey or ME screen.

Zed

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I have excellent eye sight and have my 2HD sitting at 14' (1.75 ratio) from the screen, which is 110" diagonal (8' wide), I sit right under the PJ so I am also at 14' and on bright white scenes I can see the screendoor if I look for it, but for the most part it is not visible until I move up to about 11' (1.375 ratio) .

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
miesh1: How do you like your setup Z2/HiPower? Are you ceiling mounted or coffee tabled? How's the viewing cone of the screen?

I believe I'm leaning to HP if I change screens from a DIY, at that time I'll expand the screen wider as well probably to ~100" wide. Cool thing about FP, if 92" inch diag is starting to feel everyday to you, make a quick adjustment to 110" and feel new all-over again. If most of my content was HD quality then I would assuredly at least be looking at 110" diag...

·
Registered
75 Posts
i have a 106" picture......

SD completely invisible on any scene at about 15 feet.

SD a complete non issue for satisfaction at about 13 feet.

SD not a big deal at about 12 feet.

SD distracting at about 11 feet.

jmho.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Marissadad,

So did you lessen your screen size to help the vb? Did it work?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also have a Z2 + 106" Da-lite hipower screen and I love it. It does make the screen door effect more visible on really bright areas of the image, but it's not even a minor annoyance to me.

It takes a little while to get used to the raised black levels... but I think that the punch is worth it. Even significantly outside of the viewing cone, the picture is very enjoyable.

My primary viewing distance is about 1.3x from the screen and I am never distracted by the SDE.

It has blown eveyone away who sees it (including the better half - although she's still mad I put it in the family room).

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by J Borsh
Marissadad,

So did you lessen your screen size to help the vb? Did it work?
:D I didn't need to, going into the Service & Factory mode and tweaking got rid of 90% of the VB. I can only see it now on very light backgrounds whereas before it was visible all the time. Even now it is not evident as banding like it was, it is visible as very thin stripes across the screen. :D

I'm now a happy camper and can live with the amount of VB I have.

·
Registered
79 Posts
When I first got my Z2 is was disappointed because I had to sit 16 ft from my 106" Hipower to not be bothered by screen door. I had temporarily put it on a coffee table. When I moved it to a ceiling mount, the screen door really changed. I now sit 13 ft from the screen. Mounting the projector from the ceiling (about the top of the screen) made a huge difference. The high power is not as bright with a ceiling mount and that reduced the screen door.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the responses, I feel a little more confident about the set up now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Like so many folks, I've been considering a Z2 for a while now but am hesitant to buy. This thread and others like it have been so very informative. Thanks to all who take the time to help out newbs like me.

My viewing space has complete light control as it's a finished basement. Sadly, there is a column in the room that limits how I can arrange furniture. The setup I've considered would leave me about 10.5 feet from the screen. Based on the Projector Central calculator, I suppose I could get away with a 84W X 47H inch screen. That's 1.5X the screen width and a 96 inch diagonal viewing area. Not too shabby provided I've calculated properly.

Assuming my measurements are true, I wonder if I should go smaller. Why? Because of ambient lighting (my other concern). Yes, I've stated that I have complete lighting control but I want some ambient lighting if possible for social situations. I have 5 recessed ceiling lights on dimmer switches. None of them are in the immediate area of the screen. I guess I could put lenses over the ceiling fixtures to force the beam away from the screen rather than leaving them completely open as they are now.

Here's the gist of my question: if I go smaller, will the brightness of the screen increase to prevent wash out while simultaneously reducing SDE (but at the cost of some screen size)?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.