AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my z2 on order and I'm planning my screen setup. I am undecided between a constant height or constant width setup.

My seating distance is not set yet, I have plenty of room to move.

How big of an image can the z2 drive in a 100% light controlled room?

What size are you running?

Anyone doing a constant height setup with or without a panamorph?

I would love to know!

Jeff

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm projecting to a 96" diag screen in a controlled light area. It looks great, probably could go bigger if I wanted but I can't sit much farther back than 15" and I prefer to go on the smaller side to keep the quality at its best.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Jeff,

I am projecting an 80" wide image onto a Screen Research White screen, with .95 gain. In low lamp mode with apreture closed I have a quite watchable image although I would like a little more "pop".

I chose to compromise between acoustic transparency and "pop".

Cheers,

·
Registered
19 Posts
105 inch diagonal on a matte white screen.

seating distance: 13-14 ft.

almost perfect light control (i.e. I can shut out 95% of the daylight, and ceiling is painted in off white)

Overall: Very nice on low lamp mode and iris halfway open. Will not do for daylight viewing though.

Cheers,

GothMogh

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I'm using a Blackout DIY of 110" diagonal from 14' back, looks great. SDE is very hard to see but is visible if you look for it on bright objects.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've gone big. 120" with a seating distance of about 15 feet. Screendoor is not visible at all (my eye sight is not the greatest), and the image is plenty bright even in low lamp mode with the iris fully closed. Screen is a DIY black Gatorboard screen painted with four coats of Kilz white primer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
96" of glorious picture on a Menards Parkland screen nailed to the wall trimmed with Home Depot 3" moulding and covered with Walmart $1 yard velveteen. Have 85% light control and it is watchable for HD football in the day but for movies I prefer the evening hours. I could easily go bigger but this size seems like a nice contrast between picture quality and size.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm going big too. Using 2HD. Theater still being finished so I'm just projecting on a couple sheets for now, total light control, seating at 13 and 18 feet. I'm projecting a 11 foot wide image. Running low lamp mode with iris open. Good transfers (like Raiders, Underworld) look great. Some dont look as good (like some distant shots in Pirates of the Caribbean). Love the big size I get with old movies (like Adventures of Robin Hood) they look fantastic! I was suprised, even the playoff games yesterday on regular satellite looked really good!

·
Registered
789 Posts
I'm using an 80" Kikuchi (A popular Japanese brand) Grey Matte Advance screen which is about an .85 gain. At this size, even with the iris closed down all the way and on low lamp mode, the picture is plenty bright. The 80" is fine for our small apartment, but sometimes I find myself wishing I had the 90" instead. Especially when I'm watching 2.35:1 aspect movies like The Two Towers. It's amazing how quickly you get used to a big screen size to the point where it doesn't seem so big anymore.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.