AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm experiencing a problem with my Z2 that I'm wondering if anyone else has seen. Here's the e-mail I sent to my retailer:

"Thanks for expediting my Z2. Everything is fine but for one thing. There seems to be a problem with it when displaying 1080i via component. I'm sending you the details so there's a record in case I require servicing from Sanyo.

After I hooked it up to my Rogers, Scientific Atlanta 3100HD, cable box, I noticed an intermittent analog distortion when outputing 1080i via component. It's clearly not tiling and therefore not digital. It's a horizontal distortion that comes and goes randomly. Sometimes It's preceded by a bright horizontal line. When it happens everything is distorted across the screen. It doesn't happen on 480p/component, 480i/S-video & composite. Sometimes it can last 2 seconds to 30 seconds. Sometimes I won't see it for an hour. Sometimes it happens every few seconds. I reiterate, it appears completely random. This does not happen with my Toshiba HD RPTV.

I replaced my component cable several times, including at one point, moving my projector and using a 1 foot run, Monster Cable, with no improvement. I even used the same component cables with my DVD player at 480p. 480p does not expose the problem.

I called Rogers Cable and had them replace the exterior signal amplifier and afterwards they measured my signal strength and they said it was well within spec. There was no improvement. I then replaced my cable box with no improvement.

I then plugged my power cords from my cable box and projector into a power filter, in case there was signal pollution from my power lines. No improvement.

I then had [another Z2 owner] bring over his Z2 and swapped mine out using all the same cables and components. His Z2 after watching it for 2 hours did not experience the distortion. I then brought my Z2 over to his place and hooked it up to his 1080i cable box and I could see the problem almost immediately.

Therefore, I have eliminated my cables, my cable box and my environment as being the cause.

When I viewed my projector for the first time on Friday night. I noticed the intermittent problem almost immediately. Friday night I logged about 5 hours on 1080i. At first it was very subtle. By Saturday and Sunday morning the distortion was more frequent and more severe when it happened. Sunday noon was when I brought my projector to [my friend's]. At this point I'd logged a total of 13 hours on 1080i. After I returned home and resumed watching the distortion was abundant. However, it went away for 2 hours and only returned mildly and briefly. I have not seen it since after yet another 8 hours on 1080i. The total time I have been using the Z2 on 1080i has now been 23 hours.

There's either a defect in my Z2 or it's simply breaking in. However, I have yet to see a home theater product that behaved so out of spec as a result of not having been broken in. I'm planning on observing it further to see if it has gone away before I seek technical support from Sanyo. In the meantime, could you please forward this e-mail to Sanyo Technical support or give me their e-mail. Perhaps they're aware of this issue and/or it simply is a matter of breaking in.

If I see it again, I will try to take some digital photos of the image."

Anyone experience this? Comments?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.