Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am a new Z2 owner and would like to know what's the largest size screen you guys would go with with a Z2? I can sit back as far as 21 feet but ideally I would like to be around 12-13 ft from the screen. I'm not so much worried about SDE, VB and FPN. I am more worried about image degradation from expanding the picture too much. I was hoping to go about 104in but comparing that to 50in is a big difference. The 104" was good but the 50" was spectalular. However, I didn't buy a fp to only go 50".

Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you preferred the size of the 104", then maybe you can stay with that size but go with a high gain screen like the HighPower or Silverstar to help give it the punch you enjoyed with the 50" screen.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you think the Silverstar will make a big difference compared to Carada Brilliant White? That's more of my budget...

Can you tell me who makes the HighPower?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Silverstar is completely different from Carada Brilliant White. It is much higher gain, whereas Carada BW is just slightly brighter than 1.0 gain matte white. Silverstar seems to be highly recommended by most people here, however it is also a lot more expensive, unfortunately.

Highpower is made by Dalite. It is similar in effective gain to the Silverstar, but unlike the Silverstar it is retroreflective, meaning that most of the light from the projector will reflect off the screen and back towards the projector. Thus, to get the brightest image, you should try to mount the projector somewhere closer to eye level, either with a low ceiling mount, a shelf mount, or a table mount. If you can manage this, you can get a picture fairly close to the Silverstar, but at a much more affordable price. I believe you can get the 106 " diagonal 16:9 Model B Highpower pulldown screen from AVS for around $300 or so.

Good luck with your screen choice!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Curatio,

You have been very helpful. I'm going to look into the HighPower from Da-Lite. I down favor the pull down screens so maybe they have it in the fixed wall options.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Highpower is available in fixed wall mounts, but they are quite a bit more expensive, though. Probably around $1000 or more, depending on which frame style you choose. If you or someone you know is handy with carpentry, though, you can do what a lot of other people do -- buy the pulldown, cut out the fabric, and mount it to your own frame. You can save quite a bit this way, and still get a very professional-looking result. (Dalite does sell the Highpower fabric separately, but it is way overpriced, and will cost more than just buying the pulldown).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Curatio,

Thanks-you are a wealth of knowledge. I never thought about that option. I will investigate doing something like that...

I have one final question: do you think painting the wall can produce as good a picture as a good screen? I see that a lot of people are doing that as an inexpensive viable option.

Thank you

·
Registered
46 Posts
If your wall is fairly flat and even, then just painting it white should be okay for an inexpensive starter screen. Some people have used Behr Ultra Pure White flat latex with some success. It should result in a screen that is fairly close to a typical 1.0 gain matte white screen. Framing the wall space with a black border of some sort will make it look a bit more professional, as well as enhance the overall picture. Some people paint a black border, others like to hang or attach a black frame such as wood or moulding covered with black velvet.

BTW, if you are considering the Highpower, keep in mind that its main disadvantage is its viewing cone. If you have seating that is more than about 25 degrees off center, then there will be a significant drop in brightness.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,483 Posts
CAMILLION ,

Look to the SuperPlex and SM/MM threads by CMRA and myself. (link below) The wall painted screens show there are very effectivem afordable, have NADA veiwing cone issues, and are specifically designed to augment the prperties of your Z2. If fact, most of all my Screen shots are from and of that PJ.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=359152

Here's a good one below similar to the one that stirred up quite a fuss due to it's perfect rendition of Blacks & Whites,

Sorry to have to say this but you'll not get these results with any High power screen in your budget range, Period.

BTW, this screen is 119" Go for it !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MississippiMan -

Thanks for the information. I'm am seriously considering painting my screen instead of spending so much money on a screen; especially if I can come close to what a $1000 dollar screen would cost me for around $100 bucks or so.

Do you think 104" is too large for the Z2? Probably not, being that yours is well over 100"?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.