AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone gotten any games to run in widescreen with their Z2?

It is incredibly easy to get the desktop running at 1280x720 but I cant get games to. There is a thread on the gaming forum where many people have said that they didnt even need powerstrip to select 1280x720 for their desktop and that some games (such as the ones found on Steam) would allow you to use any resolution that your display supports.

Using this logic I tried to make a custom .inf file for my monitor but it still wouldnt allow me to select 1280x720. Has anyone gotten CS or DoD (through Steam) to work in widescreen? If you are using a custom monitor file could you post it for me?

Thanks,

Keith

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'd suggest the AVS computer or gaming forums, or better yet, find CS and DoD forums and ask there. BF1942 can be tweaked to get 1280x720 and I found that info at a BF forum.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
The skinny:

1. Some games you can select any windows rez inside of the game. Halo for example.

2. Some games you have to edit a file and at the resolution. UT2K3.

3. Some games won't allow either. In that case I set the windows resolution to 1024x768 and use Full Mode on the Z2 to stretch the content. The stretch is hardly noticeable on a pc game, unlike movies where you have to have a smarter stretching method for the results to be desirable.

In the games forum here there is a link that goes over how to do this for several games.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I have been to the gaming forum (as mentioned) and I am well aware that some games allow you to choose any rez available in Windows while others require a text file or a registry entry to be modified (also as mentioned) but this is where I am having the problems. Right now my windows shows every res under the sun as being available yet one game that reportedly allows windows res' (CS or DoD through Steam) only shows the three basic options (640x480,800x600, and 1024x768). Also I have done the BF1942 tweaks about 1000 times over yet they will not work. I am very knowledgeable when it comes to PC's which is why I'm pretty sure this problem is inherent to the Z2 itself.

I believe what is needed is a custom monitor file however I have not gotten one to successfully work yet. If I install my monitor as a SONY FW900 I get some pseudo widescreen resolutions (1280x960, etc.) and I will have the option to use them in CS/DoD (cant though... not supported) so I am relatively sure a custom monitor file would do the trick.

EDIT: Ok got the CS/DoD ones working but BF1942 still refuses to work. I'll keep working on it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I haven't hooked up my PC, but there are a few Xbox games with 720p, and they look fantastic. The Z2 locks right into 720p on games like Amped2 and World Series Baseball 2k3. I'll be getting True Crime soon.

Unlike the X1 that I used to have, when I set the z2 to auto, it will synch itself to the Xbox as I jump around from the dashboard to 480p and 720p games. I don't need to switch modes or anything.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just a quick second for the Xbox 720p games on the Z2. Couldn't be easier to setup, and looks bloody fantastic. Tony Hawk Underground is stunning, as is Amped 2.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah thats a little different than PC. The problem isnt that running my PC games in 720p doesnt work...... its that I cant get them to run in 720p. I have remedied CS/DoD but now I cant even get the menu to showup in BF1942........ strange......

·
Registered
775 Posts
What all did you modify in BF to get it not working? It was really straight forward for me. Try this... start the game, go to Settings, Video. Click Default, click Yes. Now click Custom under Video Performance on the left. Click Save. Click quit, click Yes. Open "\\Mods\\bf1942\\Settings\\Profiles\\Custom\\Video.con". Change the third line to be this:

game.setGameDisplayMode 1280 720 16 0

Save the file and start the game. Don't go back to the video settings, go straight to an Instant Battle. These exact steps worked for me, after you get it working once you should be able to easily get it working with the other video settings of your choosing.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dont worry my steps are correct..... although I'm not sure why you are using 16-bit colour and not 32.

I may have found the problem. I started making the video.con file read-only because I thought maybe the game was changing it....... turns out if you do that then the game stores the profiles in your My Documents which would explain why mine wouldnt stick. I uninstalled BF completely and am going to reisntall right away, hopefully I will get it going now.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well.......... now im about to go insane. Ever since I installed the Cat 4.1's I cannot even get to the menu!!!!! Even if I switch the desktop to 800x600 and then run the game I still get no menu. I'm about ready to abandon BF1942 for all eternity.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I got it working..... I had to change the videodefault.con file so that the game would open in a window instead of fullscreen. I did all the changes I needed to and then shut it down and changed it back to starting fullscreen, changed the appropriate files and now as long as I start the games using a server browser (such as ASE) I get 1280x720. Still cant get the menu to work fullscreen though which is only slightly annoying at this point.

·
Registered
34 Posts
are you guys able to select 1280 X 720 in Windows with the Cat 4.1 drivers without having to use Powerstrip? The first time I installed the 4.1 drivers I was using a VGA cable with my normal CRT monitor and 1280 X 720 showed up as an available resolution. Then when I got my Z2 last weekend I removed the VGA cable and replaced it with DVI cable (which i plugged into the projector) and now I'm only able to use 4:3 resolutions (800 X 600, 1024 X 768) unless I use powerstrip. I reinstalled the drivers a second time but that didn't help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.