AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally ditching my AE-100 (1200 hour and counting) and saw that my local Japan store already posted prices for these 2 units (i don't think they cater to international customers - hope this is OK to post).

http://www.yodobashi.com/enjoy/more/...5/2160175.html

(both units are on the 5th page)

Noticed that AE500 weighs 2.9 kg while Z2 has 4.1 kg Does this suggest that Z2 has better build quality than AE-500? I think in the end, PQ will be my deciding factor but if they have comparable PQ, I'll go with Z2 esp. that price difference is negligible.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
They say that the the Z2 will give a picture even more beautiful than the famous Stone of Galveston. :D

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I own a Z1 and love it. But based on what Sanyo told me and the experience of myself and others, it has much shorter lamp life than the AE300.

So this thread title could've been: Build quality vs. lamp life? Z2 vs. AE500? Does anyone know?

Mark

·
Registered
68 Posts
Considering the SPEC of both of these projectors, which is the best projector?

Is the bulb issue a problem with Sanyo?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Quote:
Noticed that AE500 weighs 2.9 kg while Z2 has 4.1 kg Does this suggest that Z2 has better build quality than AE-500?
This reminds me of that article I read where certain car manufacturers were intentionally making the doors on their automobiles heavier so they made a nice clunking sound when being closed because for some reason people associate that with "good build quality". It's also like hearing the BMW saleman tell me that the M3 is better made than the Porsche Boxster S for the exact same reason (it couldn't have anything to do with the fact that Porsche is using more alloys in an effort to build a lighter car at all! :) ).

My point here is that I don't think weight should really be the main factor in determining build quality of a PJ.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I don't think weight would really be a deciding factor (or even a contributing factor) for me in projector choosing.

btw, the M3 isn't a better car than the Boxster because of it's door. It's better because of it's engine, and suspension, and transmission, and interior, etc. :D

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gede
Considering the SPEC of both of these projectors, which is the best projector?

Is the bulb issue a problem with Sanyo?
Well, Sanyo won't quote a bulb life and several of us have experience sub-1000-hour lamps...

... and Panasonic's lamp seems to be something like >3000 hours or maybe even >4000 hrs (in economy mode), while Sanyo seems to be

·
Registered
464 Posts
I just made up my mind. This is a big moment for me. Thanks Rogo! I am stretching myself to have everything I have to have the way I have to have it so the yearly bulb fee is important to me.

That will be a ongoing WAF factor as well, let's be honest! :rolleyes: If it looks good enough for the wife to not have a problem with forking out $250+ to keep the system going then, and only then, will I know how good the system really and truly is. I have always counted on her opinion when I can't be sure if my brain is fooling me or if there really was a difference in the sound quality when reversing the cables, etc.

Course, I still have to wait to hear the reviews but I am not buying until Dec-Jan anyways. :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
This is what I was previously trying to get an answer on as well. For those who have followed the threads here over the last year, which projector of the two had the least number of problems?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I don't think either projector has been particularly problematic.

And I own and love a Z1, despite losing a bulb at ~600 hrs.

But right now I am leaning toward the AE500 over the Z2, even though the Z2 seemed wonderful at CEDIA.

For me, right now, the differences in likely lamp life and a sight-unseen belief in the new Smoothscreen are the difference makers.

But this is an incredibly subjective opinion that is subject to change long before I buy either of these or the HS20.

Mark

·
Registered
36 Posts
This FP blows it´s hot air out from the backside from what I´ve heard, so how far from the backwall can you place this projector without it overheating? Am planning on placing it on a shelf and wonders if 10cm of space to the backwall is enough.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Shamrock, you are getting the AE500 or the Z2?

The Z2 has side venting of hot air and a sealed rear.

The AE500, I don't know about.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I might go with Panasonic again if the lamp life is significantly longer. Store already listed HS20 (also in 5th page) and its more than $1000 over the Z2 and AE500 (as everyone expected).

·
Registered
68 Posts
The more I read about these two projectors (Sanyo and Panasonic) the more I'm leaning towards the Panasonic. There's the bulb issue, and the warrantee doesn't imply a better machine, anyway in my opinion.

I'm still not 100% decided in buying my first projector from Panasonic, but there's small detail that tells me that Panasonic are more reliable and better built than the Sanyo.

Sanyo. There's the dust on lens, the noise, bulb lifespan. But the overall appreciation seems to be unanimous that they have a better image.

The Z1 and Panasonic 300 are almost the same price.

Panasonic. Quietness, screendoor effect, the bulb seems to last even more than what they say. Read about "scan lines", don't really understand what it is. Panasonic built a better projector, in my opinion, by putting more care in these details.

I'm still going to wait for the coming Z2 and Panasonic 500, which will sell at almost the same price as the Z1 and PT300, for my first projector. Although the Z2 is described as superior (based on the specs) I think that Panasonic has a small edge.

I'm a very bad judge though, because I've only seen the Panasonic 300, but from what I've read on the AVS forum, this is the general feeling that I have.

Right or wrong please give me your comments.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Nothing made in Korea will ever surpass the quality of same type item made in Japan.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.