AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for my first PJ. Still weighing DLP, LCD, aspect ratios - everything.

But for this thread lets look at the Z2.

It is native 1280x720 (16:9) therefore at 4:3 it stand to reason it is 960x720 (Still better than 800x600) with black(grey) bars on the side.

If I had a 16:9 screen 80x45, my 4:3 viewing would normally be 60x45.

BUT.... what if....

Using the Projection Calculator at projectorcentral.com and utilizing the 1.3 zoom of the Z2, I can place the Z2 12 feet back and get 80x45 with a zoom factor of 1.0. Without moving the project, if I zoom up to 1.3x, I can view 4:3 material at 79 inches wide by 59 high - essentailly the same width as 16:9.

The Panny 500 only has 1.2 zoom so you could not achieve the same results (theoretically)

I was hoping that if there was any image movement while zooming, the lense shift might fix it.

My questions are:

Does this make sense?

Can any Z2 owners confirm what the Projection Calculator estimates?

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Having one I would doubt you would want to adjust the zoom manually every time you go from 16:9 to 4:3, one of the HS20 benifits remote-zoom. If you can drive it with a HTPC (get a cheap one) and use something like PowerDVD and use Smart Stretch it will nicely stretch your 4:3 material to fill the 16:9 screen every time. Or find a DVD player with this feature.

I do have picture examples of this smart stretch look vs straight vs normal stretch. But when I went to put my pictures in AVS they state they don't want you to link posts here back to there. I know a lot of people do this anyway. What is the official stance on this?

But to what you mention, I guess I'm not getting what you are after. You want to rid yourself of the 4:3 sidebars it seems. Well if you zoom out to get rid of the sidebars well you just screwed the pouch vertically as now you're beyond the 16:9 vertical's limits. So your trading one bad thing for another. Am I following you?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by HorrorScope

But to what you mention, I guess I'm not getting what you are after. You want to rid yourself of the 4:3 sidebars it seems. Well if you zoom out to get rid of the sidebars well you just screwed the pouch vertically as now you're beyond the 16:9 vertical's limits. So your trading one bad thing for another. Am I following you? [/b]
What I'm after basically is

16:9 screen of 80x45

4:3 screen of 80x60

So I would have a 80x60 screen that I would mask the bottom/top in 16:9. (or smaller ratios). This is typical of native 4:3 PJ, but I am intreged by the resolution of 720p. Any 4:3 projectors I can afford cannot do 720p at 16:9. Most of my 4:3 viewing would be sports.

Will the Z2 1.3 zoom do this. I have no idea what's actually involved in changing the zoom from one extreme to the other.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the z2 with a 45 x 80 Dalite High Power. I sit about 11.5 feet away from the screen.

Generally, 16:9 material will be of higher quality than 4:3 material.

4:3 sports, like football on Directv, looks good to me but the quality is not so good that I would want to blow it up larger than my 16:9 content.

I'll live with a smaller 4:3 viewing area for now, and transition to 16:9 over then next year or so.

What you are suggesting sounds like too much work to me.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
I say you just accept the smaller 4x3 image you'd get with a constant 16x9 screen. Don't get why someone would want to be adjsuting their zoom every time they go from 4x3 to 16x9. Is having a larger 4x3 image (where most of the material will look like crap anyway since sports on TV is your main 4x3 material) really that important?

·
Registered
409 Posts
I completely understand this desire to have a full size 4X3 image. I am presently wrestling with the idea that upgrading to Z2 means giving up my full size (69"X92") 4X3 image for the little 52"X69" image that the Z2 will produce. Even though the PQ is lower on most of the 4X3 material I view, I like the immersive image created by the larger size. When I watch a Formula 1 race with the 69"X92" image size I get that feeling of being there. When I watch the same race in the 52"X69" size it just looks like TV.

I have been considering using this zoom technique to give me that big 4X3 image size. The concern that I have is not the hassle of making the change between format sizes, on my table mounted PJ, but with the 50% loss of brightness that will occur when I blow up the Z2 image size to what is essentially 122"X69"

Tom

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had a question about this too. So basically when you are watching HDTV or a 16:9 dvd your screen size will automatically be 16:9 but when you switch to regular tv, it will automatically switch to 4:3 with a smaller viewing area? I wouldn't mind this but if I have to switch between 4:3 and 16:9 manually each time I watc tv or watch HDTV or a dvd I don't want the Z2 I just ordered. Pleease explain the zoom feature again so I can figure this out. Thanks

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
It auto-switches and you have some stretching options as well if you choose, all working automatically. The original poster wanted to do something more out of the box than just accept it the way it is normally used. How it works now is imo the way you want it to work. But some people want to try something different.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I switched between the 2 all the time. I was a little annoyed when I couldn't get a full 4:3 image for cable TV when I have the projector located for 16:9. I don't mind the manual zoom at all and horiz./vert. shift is great as well.

I would have thought the zoom would have have been able to do the two. Instead I get a 1"- 2" band around the 4:3 image on the 80" x 60" screen. Projector Central's calculations are spot on. I couldn't find a way to stretch it but there could be one out there to do it.

I see in the HD thread that Comcast are now shipping the new HD Moto box in Denver so might get it checked out this week to get 16:9 for most of the regular cable stations as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i just got my z2 (jan 2) and it works perfect for what you are talking about. i have a perfect 16:9 picture with no zoom then when my kids want to watch one of there VHS tapes i just run stand up and crank the zoom all the way up ..... ta dah.... no zoom = complete fill 16:9 and max zoom = complete fill 4:3.

when doing it this way there is only one perfect place to mount the unit.

·
Registered
129 Posts

Originally posted by svochuck

i just got my z2 (jan 2) and it works perfect for what you are talking about. i have a perfect 16:9 picture with no zoom then when my kids want to watch one of there VHS tapes i just run stand up and crank the zoom all the way up ..... ta dah.... no zoom = complete fill 16:9 and max zoom = complete fill 4:3.

You must be using a different size to my 80" x 60" screen. If your one is the same as mine I would like to know your distance from lens to screen. I have tried moving the screen back further but then I lose the full width of 16:9 which is the one I would rather have. I have no zoom for 16:9 (80" x 45") and 1.3 x for 4:3 with a 1" to 2" grey band (+- 77" x 57").

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.