AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be table mounting my Z3. It will be about 4 feet away from the center of the image. Will lens shift help me out and center the image enough? Thankx :p

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think you'll need to let everyone know what size image you plan to project for anyone to say for sure if it will shift 4 feet.

·
Registered
129 Posts
according to the projection calculator on projectorcentral.com, for the Z3, you need to be between 8 and 10 feet away to produce a picture the size you are after. From looking at the calculator you may be able to get a 50" picture from about 5 feet away. Lens shift will have no effect on the size of the picture, only move it up and down or side to side. Good Luck Biersy

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think the Z3 can shift left/right up to 50% of the screen width. 82" wide would allow a 41" shift I believe. There have also been reports of PQ degradation at the maximum shifts, so you might want to take that into consideration as well.

I don't own a Z3 (yet, but am thinking of buying one with the recent price drops), so I can't verify any of this information that I've read in reviews, etc.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanx alot. Pretend I shift the lens 50% to the left. Will I still be able to use much of the up/down shift? I heard if you use alot of the left/right shift then you are limited with the up/down shift.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
If you shift fully to the left/right, you will NOT be able to shift fully up/down. If you shift fully up/down, you cannot shift fully left/right. (all 4 corners of the "potential projected area" are "rounded off" slightly, so to speak) Hope that makes sense...

Please note, as stated previously, you can NOT project an 82" picture with only a 4' throw distance with a Z3. You will need to move the PJ farther away from the screen.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanx for the explanation. What I meant was that the throw distance would be about 10.5". But, it would not be projected from the center. Like 3' to the right. :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
You can move Z3 left/right to the edge of the screen. Whatever your screen width is, it can project it from the one of the edges.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
OK. So you will be at (or very close to) the maximum left/right shift, as 3 feet is half of your screen width. So you won't be able to use the max up/down.

But if your table height is about 20" or so, you'll be fine. You can raise the picture 60" up or down (max), assuming a 40" screen height. On a 8 foot high wall (96"), you'll want the bottom of the picture up about 24" from the floor... so you'd only have to raise the picture up by about 24". 20" moves the picture up one-half screen height, this makes the bottom of screen level with the lens (at table height of 20") plus 4" to get the bottom a total of 24" above the floor. You've got _36"_ to spare. Even at the absolute limit of L/R shift, you won't lose anywhere near that much. You've got tons of adjustment room to spare. In this scenario, you could place the bottom of the screen 3' up the wall if you wanted, easy.

Short version:

You're golden. Just wait til you get the PJ to place the screen.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Right. So on a 40x71 screen, you can move 71" L or R, and 60" up or down. Slightly less if you go to the extremes of both simultaneously. So only shifting 36" left/right lets you use the full up/down capability. So you can place the bottom of the screen 20" ABOVE the centerline of the projector. If the projector is on a 20" high table, you could place the BOTTOM of the screen 40" above the floor... much higher than you'd likely want to place it.

Short version:

You're golden. :D

(I'd wait til I actually get the projector, shoot a picture on the wall, THEN determine exactly where and how big I want the screen)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Sure. Use the zoom. The distance from the PJ to the screen will be your limiting factor on screen size. As someone mentioned earlier, use the calculator on projector central to get an idea of the capabilities of the Z3. Then wait until you actuall get the PJ to finalize your screen size and postion choice. Here's a link to the PJ central calculator:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sany...ulator-pro.htm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.