AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the title says it all really. My Z3 developed the dreaded spreading blue haze of doom so I took it to the repair shop. They told me that the input and output polarizing filters need to be replaced at the cost of about $650. Ouch. I don't really have the budget for a new PJ right now, but don't want to turn my Z3 into a paperweight either. What do y'all think?

Mark

· Registered
140 Posts
TFGHost: how hard is it to attempt your own polarizer 'repair', as in cleaning? I own an Epson Home Cinema 400...second bulb...we love it...but I suspect the polarizers are 'dirty'...based on reading a post on this forum that I cannot find right now. We have a faint dirty yellow cloud (uppermost right part of the image...probably less than 5% of the total image) that is only visible when imaging white. Also the faint blue on one side pink on the other side is there, too.

· Registered
1,765 Posts
If you're careful, somewhat technically inclined and document the process of taking apart the projector so you can put it back together properly, it shouldn't be too difficult. That said, I've not taken apart an HC400 or a Z3 - my experience is mainly with Panasonic projectors. If you search the AX100 and AX200 threads there are a couple of users that documented cleaning and/or replacing the polarizers and provided pictures along with the instructions. To get an idea of how to do this on your HC400 (or a Sanyo Z3) I would try to find the service manual online. I'm sure there's also many people on AVS that could email you the service manual if you can't find it.

· Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF Ghost /forum/post/18121973

Do you feel confident enough to do the repair yourself if you can find the parts?

BTW - $650 seems pretty steep for replacing 2 polarizers. Did they tell you how much of that estimate was labor?

Well before taking it in to the shop I did take it apart to the point where the motherboard was off and most of the optical guts were exposed. The problem I could see was that there was a myriad of adjusting screws that looked to be for adjusting the x/y/z alignment of the various optical components. While I am confident that I could change out the parts, I'm not entirely confident in my ability to do all of the fine-tuning.
As for the cost of the parts, it was in the neighborhood of $500-550, I don't remember exactly.

· Registered
1,373 Posts
My son uses my 6 yrs old Panny ae200 now. I still take it apart every six months to clean the dust. That thing is still like new after 6 yrs. The polarizers on the Panny are only fastened to the pj with one tiny screw each. The positioning doesn't need to be precise. Do polarizers work differently on a Sanyo Z3?

In theory dust can trap heat which will hasten these components' failure. So regular maintenace and cleaning IMO will help keep your pj running.

· Registered
1,020 Posts
Yes, your choices are to replace the polarizers yourself or save up for a new projector. I think a new projector is well worth it by the time the polarizers go, but its easy for me to spend your money.

I would not spend much for new polarizers. Go to the movies a lot until you have enough for a new projector. My latest fave, sight unseen, is the Optoma HD66, for the same price as your repair estimate.

· Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I've decided to brick the Z3, who knows maybe I'll use it to watch movies in the backyard during the warmer months. Meanwhile, in the interest of best bang for the buck, I ordered an Epson EX-71 for $699 from Best Buy. Despite some mixed reviews, It should keep me happy for at least a little while, and maybe in a couple of years I'll upgrade again. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Mark

· Registered
1,486 Posts
I have a couple infocus LP250s if you want i could rob the polarizers out of em if you think they will fit?

Are these the colored ones? The LP250 may not even be the same? worth a shot though

· Registered
165 Posts
I made him an offer for it since my Z3 has other bad issues related to (I think) a power surge that fried it badly.

The LP250 polarizers are a lot bigger IIRC, they are not a coloured (dichro) based one, but are the normal salmon pink coloured blue polarizers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.