AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about a thousand hours on my Z5 and had noticed a pink shading on the left side of the screen. Thought this must be the typical color uniformity

I've seen before on my previous LCD projectors. Contemplated even sending it in for repair.

The other night as I was surfing the net, I noticed a lamp flicker and then the pink switched to right side of the screen. Well, this, I think pretty much clinches it as the lamp bulb being the culprit.

Today, it appears the pink is back on the left side again, but much less so, in fact, barely noticeable. This post is just to throw it out there for dicussion, since apparently color uniformity is not necessarily a panel or polarizer problem, but can be a lamp problem.

I had read of Epson's new E-Torl lamps being suspected of causing color shading/uniformity problems. I guess Sanyo's lamps are capable of the same thing. LED will oneday bring us the perfect lamp, I just hope it's sooner then later.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I see the same thing on my Z5, a little over a 1/3 of the left side (ceiling mount) of my screen has a reddish tint, maybe 2%? It is noticeable on most white background scenes and even some clouds in the sky etc. I have just over a hundred hours on it and was hoping it would go away after break in or calibration but it's still there. I do have a little red push because I'm using Color list 2, which by nature increases reds. I heard and have also read alot of LCD's are like this Sanyo, Epson, Panny, some have blue hue, some red, etc... This is my first LCD so I just considered this acceptable. Now the question is.... Is it acceptable or does this need to be addressed with Sanyo?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McGuire /forum/post/13004293

I have about a thousand hours on my Z5 and had noticed a pink shading on the left side of the screen. Thought this must be the typical color uniformity

I've seen before on my previous LCD projectors. Contemplated even sending it in for repair.

The other night as I was surfing the net, I noticed a lamp flicker and then the pink switched to right side of the screen. Well, this, I think pretty much clinches it as the lamp bulb being the culprit.

Today, it appears the pink is back on the left side again, but much less so, in fact, barely noticeable. This post is just to throw it out there for dicussion, since apparently color uniformity is not necessarily a panel or polarizer problem, but can be a lamp problem.

I had read of Epson's new E-Torl lamps being suspected of causing color shading/uniformity problems. I guess Sanyo's lamps are capable of the same thing. LED will oneday bring us the perfect lamp, I just hope it's sooner then later.

The only way to know for sure is to change the lamp . Are you going to do that soon ? I would like to know if it is the lamp or just static moving dust back and forth across the polarizers .

Keep us in the loop.

Scott..........

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have 1400 hrs on my Z5, at around 1100 I noticed a pink shading on the right side, I thought maybe the bulb, but never got around to changing it. Sometimes when I turn on the pj, the pink is almost gone, so, I have not bothered to change the bulb yet. If you change the bulb and it makes it go away, let us know. I will definitely change the bulb at around 2500hrs or if the pink gets worse and let you guys know.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I haven't noticed this on my Z4, but I'm curious since I think no one mentioned the bulb mode... are you guys using economy, high or one of the variable brightness modes? If you have used economy for an extensive period of time, maybe using one of the brighter bulb modes for a few hours might be worth a try.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I use it in economy mode, I'll try a different mode tomorrow night and let you guys know.

·
Registered
236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McGuire /forum/post/13004293

I think I was the one who brought this up about the e-torl bulbs being the culprit. I went through this same problem with two Epson 550s and four Epson 400s from different retailers. The 550s had really bad pink shading and the first two 400s early last year were a little better, but still annoying. I didn't figure out the problem until I was using the second 400 and saw the same flicker and pink shift that you noticed. I figured that it must have been the arc in the bulb finding a different location between it's contacts, causing different light reflections out of the cone of the bulb. I switched bulbs between projectors, comparing which one looked better, unfortunately I could never find a satisfactory image. But, the locations of the pink areas definitely changed positions on the screen from bulb to bulb. So, I agree, that it's not always convergence or polarizers that will cause color problems in images.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I tried all the bulb modes this weekend and I didn't see any change in the uniformity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts