AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use this? Any comments? Its available from a lot of dealers, and more info is available on zalmanusa site. The path to it on that site is Home > Product > Home Theatre System > HD160XT.

Would really appreciate feedback from people who have used this.

TIA.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Nice looking case, in Black it would match my receiver almost perfectly. The only feature I'd like to see is a second optical drive. Two are required today to play back double disk movies without interruption.

Gary

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have one on order and will report when it arrives.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy /forum/post/0

Nice looking case, in Black it would match my receiver almost perfectly. The only feature I'd like to see is a second optical drive. Two are required today to play back double disk movies without interruption.

Gary

How many double disc movies do you really have that this is an issue? Might be smarter to just rip those few movies to your drive.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
I just got mine. I am about to start build my HTPC and gaming box.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I'm trying to figure out how that LCD screen is used. Does it display just a clone of the main display, or does it show current track/ file being played type information. I'd be using this with Vista Media Center, and also Winamp for audio files. I'd love if the screen showed player controls and maybe shortcuts to launch either program or the different sections of MediaCenter or something on this screen.

Also, will the remote support this sort of configuration, being used for two different players?

Finally, how loud and hot does the case get? I currently have a Shuttle that drives me crazy its so loud.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
I haven't got it up and runnin yet. I am waiting for all the parts to show. I wont be able to asnwer the noise questions. Even though it will be a HTPC I am setting it up to be my gaming pc also so I didn't even try to make it quiet.

I wanted to but I figured their was no way to pull it off.

It will have a :

Intel QX6700

EVGA 680 mobo

Evga 8800 GTX(no SLI for now)

BlueGears HDA Digital X-Mystique soundcard

2 gigs of OSZ ram

Cateyes 153 tuner

75 g Raptor Hard drives

500g Seagate drive

Thermatake 850watt powersupply

Zalma coolers/fans(which the case looks like it can control from the display)

So i am hoping I can slow the speed of fans and quiet it down during HTPC use

and then crank it up for gaming.

and Windows VISTA

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have this case and I like it a lot. It is a little cramped inside but it is not an issue for me. I bought it because I was looking for a really quite solution. Combined with a Zalman CPU Cooler and a Zalman Video Card cooler it is really quiet. I run all of the fans on slowest speed with no temperature issues at all. Now my HTPC is so quiet that I have spent the last few weeks trying to find the quietest hard dive available as I can now hear that.

Overall a great case though, not sure how the LCD display works though as I have not yet messed with it.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
Just in case anyone cares. This case will not fit a EVGA 8800 GTX and the HD cage. So for me I am going to go with one HD under the DVD burner and forego the HD cage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the Zalman hd160Xt and I can report its a great case but as described above it Does NOT fit an 8800GTX unless you remove the HD cage. Also There are alot of issues with the touchpanel. You must run in extended desktop or clone mode. My intent was to use it to control the PC while the 57" Mitsu DLP was off or watching another show but that cannot be easily done. Please feel free to ask any ? you may have. Im new to the Forum so Hello all!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the HD160 in Black and I agree with muxoman that its a bit cramped, and also that the top panel lid takes a bit of care when removing or installing, and might take a gentle push on the edges of the top lid toward the front of the case to get it secured properly. One thing that you don't want to do though, is if you cant get the screw holes lined up exactly (top lid might stick a bit where the top screw hole is higher) then you want to be gentle when you screw back the screws in, if you try to force it when its not lined up, you'll cause a blemish where the screw strips off the black paint toward the bottom of the screw hole... kinda hard to explain but just becareful.

When installing an optical drive, try and have the drive powered up to make it easier to line up the loading tray bezel before applying the aluminum tray bezel, I used the power brick from a Bytec USB-ide adapter . Also remember to take the whole front bezel off first, otherwise the aluminum bezel won't line up properly with the front of the case.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I've got HD160XT Silver and I love it.

Matche all my equipment and works as picture frame. I posted a picture of half-assembled HD10XT playing Waterworld on the built-in LCD screen a few posts back.

Overall, great case. Much better than my "old" Ahanix D.Vine 4. Little expensive, but that's fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
To the other hd160xt owners, do any of you know if you can change the clock display to regular time. Mine always shows military time. Also I can't seem to get the EQ to display with my soundblaster XFi? Any Ideas? Lasly has anyone found a way to clone the desktop and have the LCD at a different resolution than your TV output? I love the case and agree with all suggestions posted here. Just incase anyone wonders a Zalman 9700 LED will fit but you have to remove the sliding top vent to make it fit. The lid will then have about an 1/16 inch lift near the middle but the lid will fit and secure just fine. Temps with an e6600 stay at 29c idle 45c load overclocked at 3GHZ. Not to shabby for a HTPC Case. Front fan set to 37% rear fans at 50% Zalman at 2100RPM. System is NICE and Quiet.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit373p /forum/post/0

To the other hd160xt owners, do any of you know if you can change the clock display to regular time. Mine always shows military time. Also I can't seem to get the EQ to display with my soundblaster XFi? Any Ideas? Lasly has anyone found a way to clone the desktop and have the LCD at a different resolution than your TV output? I love the case and agree with all suggestions posted here. Just incase anyone wonders a Zalman 9700 LED will fit but you have to remove the sliding top vent to make it fit. The lid will then have about an 1/16 inch lift near the middle but the lid will fit and secure just fine. Temps with an e6600 stay at 29c idle 45c load overclocked at 3GHZ. Not to shabby for a HTPC Case. Front fan set to 37% rear fans at 50% Zalman at 2100RPM. System is NICE and Quiet.

Can answer one of those questions.

There is a program called "Ultramon". with this program I can send 1920x1080 to my TV thru DVI and 1024x768 to the LCD thru VGA.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanx for the reply galileo2000. Does it work in conjunction with the Nvidia Nview tools or just on top of the Nvidia Driver. With this App would I leave the Nvidia drive set to one monitor and just use Ultramon for multi-mon settings? In your situation do you have the desktop cloned on both monitors with the Ultramon software? I will do a search for Ultramon and see if they have a setup guide. I have heard it mentioned in other forums and it is supposed to be pretty stable. Have you done any gaming with it running? Thank you much!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.