AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 3685 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zappiti launched new Players using the latest Realtek (RTD1295) SoC.

• HDMI 2.0
  • BT.2020
  • HDR (they don't specify it, but I guess only HDR-10
  • Android 6.0
  • Zappiti MagicPixel v2

So far it looks interesting.

Mini: 249€
One: 299€
Duo: 399€

Availability: 2nd of January (at least in Germany via German distributor)

Zappiti Mini 4K HDR
Zappiti One 4K HDR
Zappiti Duo 4K HDR

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Seems like no PGS inside mkv, though:

PGS (BD ISO, BDMV, M2TS)

That's a bummer!
Yup. After they ironed out the other issues on the original 4K it became a solid player. Lack of PGS support was a deal killer though. Their latest jukebox on top of a Dune Player would be ideal.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I wonder how it compares to the zidoo x9s being same chipset. What happened between Dune and Zappitti anyone know why they dont play nice anymore?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup. After they ironed out the other issues on the original 4K it became a solid player. Lack of PGS support was a deal killer though. Their latest jukebox on top of a Dune Player would be ideal.
Agree, that is an absolute deal breaker for me, too.

I wonder how it compares to the zidoo x9s being same chipset. What happened between Dune and Zappitti anyone know why they dont play nice anymore?
Didn't they just sell rebranded hardware with their own software? I would think that their margins weren't that good.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The company that wrote the original Zappitti software was just a Dune European distributer. They created the original software to help sell more players. Later they got into a licensing agreement with Dune and Dune sold players with an integrated version of the Zappitti software.

When Dune got out of the player market. The company behind the Zappitti software decided to market their own players using the software. Since it was their first attempt. They had a lot of issues with firmware on their players. It took them almost a year after they released their players before the firmware was relatively stable. So they got a pretty bad rep from the early buyers.

One of their biggest issues was customer service. They didn't like acknowledging issues with their players and they often removed items from their forums where issues were raised. Until sudden those issues were fixed in a new version of firmware.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
The company that wrote the original Zappitti software was just a Dune European distributer. They created the original software to help sell more players. Later they got into a licensing agreement with Dune and Dune sold players with an integrated version of the Zappitti software.

When Dune got out of the player market. The company behind the Zappitti software decided to market their own players using the software. Since it was their first attempt. They had a lot of issues with firmware on their players. It took them almost a year after they released their players before the firmware was relatively stable. So they got a pretty bad rep from the early buyers.

One of their biggest issues was customer service. They didn't like acknowledging issues with their players and they often removed items from their forums where issues were raised. Until sudden those issues were fixed in a new version of firmware.
They didn't just remove issues from their forums, they removed the forums completely. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
34 Posts
The mini is around $248 US shipping included directly from their store. I really want to try this one out, but I had some bad experiences with realtek chip in the past, but that was 10 years ago. I had a popcorn hour and another brand with the same chip died on me within 2 hours from over heating. But they was in a temperature control environment which is always cool. If this can play movies 6 hours straight, I would be happy.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Finally HMDI 2.0a support and HDR! Been waiting for this. My 4k player still works great but will most likely upgrade to this new one.

I wonder if the Netflix app will allow streaming in HDR, anyone know?
And possible Dolby Vision support?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Knowing their track records for their previous players launch, I would highly advise anyone that isn't ready to do heavy beta testing to avoid to buy it on day one...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I heard somewhere that made8er will be coming out with new player with same chipset and with there track record it should be a good one with stable firmware.

I wonder when dune and popcorn will implement the newer sigma processor with hdmi 2.0

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I heard somewhere that made8er will be coming out with new player with same chipset and with there track record it should be a good one with stable firmware.

I wonder when dune and popcorn will implement the newer sigma processor with hdmi 2.0
The Sigma chips are not released yet from SIGMA. Going off the zidoo kodi thread seems there is some stability issues with that chipset but for the most part pretty good feedback.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Seems like no PGS inside mkv, though:

PGS (BD ISO, BDMV, M2TS)

That's a bummer!
I found they have updated their website regarding PGS support.
Now it says:
PGS (BD ISO, BDMV, M2TS, MKV)

Seems to be an interesting alternative to Popcorn Hour A-500...
What are your thought regarding the picture quality of these two?
Do you know what chroma upscaling method (nearest neighbor?) Zappiti use?
Wonder the Zappiti MagicPixel works in real life? Maybe just marketing...

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's exactly why I want to test the new Zappiti. In the past Realtek was inferior to Sigma in terms of picture quality. Don't think that it has changed, but this needs testing.
I'm also not sure about their Magic pixel technology since I doubt that Realtek gives this much access to their hardware.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
I found they have updated their website regarding PGS support.
Now it says:
PGS (BD ISO, BDMV, M2TS, MKV)
PGS support is there only if subs are enabled by default. The issue is the the Realtek Chipsets don't support forced subtitles.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
That's exactly why I want to test the new Zappiti. In the past Realtek was inferior to Sigma in terms of picture quality. Don't think that it has changed, but this needs testing.
I'm also not sure about their Magic pixel technology since I doubt that Realtek gives this much access to their hardware.
Do I take it a review is on the horizon then?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 3685 Posts