AVS Forum banner

3681 - 3700 of 3709 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
When you change the aspect ratio on your screen, is that via the TV itself or through the Zappiti menu while playing the content? Unfortunately in more recent versions they stopped auto-adjusting aspect ratio, so you have to manually go into the menu while playing content and adjust it from there.

If that's what you've already done and the overscan calibration all checks out, I'm not sure.
Yes, that's changing the aspect ratio on my TV. I can't change the ratio on the Zappiti as the menus are off the side of the screen, though maybe I could try and find out what the menu structure is and try navigating blind to the aspect ratio options to see if that changes anything!

It's weird, when I first start a video I've noticed that a get a brief flash of the image at the correct proportions then it switches to the incorrect size. I've tried forcing the display settings to various ones, rather than relying on auto, but that doesn't make a difference.

Yep, overscan all looks OK, I can see the green box at the edges of the screen, and oddly, the test pattern videos all look OK as well. I don't believe the issue is with my videos though as I have tried various different ones including mkv rips and straight DVD copies of the video_ts folder and all show exactly the same issue, and they all look fine on other players.

UPDATE - After noticing that there was an aspect ratio button on the Zappiti remote I thought I'd try that, booted up the player, started a video and it was fine! So don't know what the problem was but seems it's just resolved itself over night, hopefully it wont come back!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hey I am still on the fence about the Zappiti player. I am looking at the One SE as I need the separate HDMI out for audio for my older reciever. I have a few questions.

1) Any update on a release date for new models or their features?
2) SMB1 being retired by Synology which Zappiti requires... I thought from reading firmware updates that this was addressed in Zappiti players. From Zappiti V3.15 under improvements:
  • 23.976p fluidity and smoothness have been improved (be aware that video lag and glitches may still occur when using the following codecs: VC-1 and AVC-H.264 High @ L4 / 4.0).
  • Improved SMB server and added SMB 2.0 compatibility.
  • Improvement of the various information displayed in the “movie display window” screen while playing, in particular the indication of the bitrate and 2.35:1 aspect ratio support.
3) My TV supports Dolby Vision and HDR10+ is it worth waiting for new players to see if they support them? Does DV / HDR10+ make that much of a difference, from youtube video's I have watch I don't see much and they say not much but I have never seen in person a direct comparison? I currently run Plex on my TV as my media streamer and don't have an actual 4K disc player.

·
Registered
35 Posts
  • I would wait until the next set of players come out. I didn't buy my Zappiti until last spring after the 3.15 announcement with the SMB issue being one of the items delaying my purchase. However, I can assure you that they did not fix it so my Zappiti mini 4k HDR can connect to a server via SMB2. When I upgraded my server running Zappiti server to Win 10 last spring, I had to enable SMB 1.0 in order to get the Zappiti mini 4k HDR to connect. According to a post last December on the Zappiti facebook page, they say they cannot fix this with the current chip. Although I have no basis to doubt this claim, it is hard to believe since SMB 2.0 has been out since 2006.
  • This is Zappiti's description for "SMB Server" which sounds like it enables a computer to connect to an internal hard drive of the Zappiti which is of no use to those of us with a mini 4k HDR who access our movies from a networked server. "SMB Server: Access the contents located on the internal hard drive of the Zappiti Mini 4K HDR (or a connected hard drive) from a computer connected via local network. "
  • I was looking to by a Synology NAS on Black Friday but didn't see the deal I was looking for, and now I'm glad I didn't.

·
Registered
22,303 Posts
Synology and Zappiti server still play nice together via SMB with current software on both ends. There was an update a while back that required some fiddling in the Synology, but that was easy to resolve.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I've had a look at the manual, and searched the thread, but can someone explain what subtitle options are available. I can see that there is an offset control. Is there anything else, like lumnance like the Panasonic UHD players have, and for external subs, what other options (color, font size, transparency, etc)?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is there a limit to the number of connected HDD's to a 4K Mini?

I previously ran two seagate USB3 drives (2TB & 4TB) but during lockdown ripped the rest of my collection and condensed them onto one 6TB WD Red SATA and the 2TB usb.

I tried to connect the 4TB drive as well and it won't allow the 6TB SATA to connect. It recognises it and I can run files through explorer but won't appear in the wall. It does flash up an error message in top left but disappears too quickly and says "error cannot...." which isn't very helpful.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Is there a limit to the number of connected HDD's to a 4K Mini?

I previously ran two seagate USB3 drives (2TB & 4TB) but during lockdown ripped the rest of my collection and condensed them onto one 6TB WD Red SATA and the 2TB usb.

I tried to connect the 4TB drive as well and it won't allow the 6TB SATA to connect. It recognises it and I can run files through explorer but won't appear in the wall. It does flash up an error message in top left but disappears too quickly and says "error cannot...." which isn't very helpful.

Any thoughts?
If you remove the other two will it recognize the 6TB drive? Just to see if an issue with just that drive or 6TB in general?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Is it worth buying the Zappiti one SE right now? I hear rumors about new versions of zappiti players coming out but nothing from the company to give any idea on time frame or models. My TV does support HDR10+ and Dolby Vision. I need a player with a dedicated Audio out so I can use my 4k TV and older anthem receiver.

Thanks in advance for thoughts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am looking to replace my old Dvico TVIX N6600 media player, and the Zappiti One player looks interesting.

1. Does the Zappiti allow simple text file listing type menus? Most of my videos are home movies or recorded TV shows that don't have any cover art. I'm not really interested in the movie poster menus.

2. Can I stream files over my home network from my Windows 10 computer? Can I limit the folders the Zappiti has access to? In other words, only allow access to my videos folder and not other program or document folders on my computer.

3. If files are located on my desktop computer, can I delete them directly from the Zappiti player when I'm finished watching them?

4. Does the Zappiti provide forward and backward "skipping", such as going back 15 seconds?

5. Are there any issues with audio and video staying in sync? That's the biggest issue I'm having with my Dvico player right now.

6. If I install a HDD in the Zappiti, can I send files to it from my desktop PC (barring the ability to just stream from the PC)?

7. Can I control the Zappiti with a Logitech Harmony remote control?

8. How long does the Zappiti take to boot up? Does it boot directly to the video list, or do I have to navigate through menus each time to get there?

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you remove the other two will it recognize the 6TB drive? Just to see if an issue with just that drive or 6TB in general?
Yeah all the drives are recognised and can run through explorer. It's just when all three drives are connect the 6TB sata won't appear in wall.
Probably just easier to put SATA in a NAS.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yeah all the drives are recognised and can run through explorer. It's just when all three drives are connect the 6TB sata won't appear in wall.
Probably just easier to put SATA in a NAS.
Interesting. What if you get that external $30 Docking device for hot swapping Drives? Not the best option going but might allow that last drive to be hooked up. Just curious what 3 USB ports are you trying to use? Wondering if maybe some the USB ports are shared on the board and you can only use 1 of the two at a time?

·
Registered
5 Posts
i had 3 hard drives, 1 is a 8tb seagate and the other 2 are 4tb WD. When i connected all three and looked in the explorer settings i could only see the seagete and 1 of the 4tb , all would show on there own but i could only get the 8tb and either 1 of the 4tb to show together, support was no help si i was thinking that the 2 4tb where clashing some how cause there wgere the same so i brought a 6TB WD to replace the 4 TB and now there all showing

·
Registered
5 Posts
Interesting. What if you get that external $30 Docking device for hot swapping Drives? Not the best option going but might allow that last drive to be hooked up. Just curious what 3 USB ports are you trying to use? Wondering if maybe some the USB ports are shared on the board and you can only use 1 of the two at a time?
I was using one of the USB 2's and the USB 3. I'll try hooking them both up to the USB 2's. The SATA drive shows up as a USB drive in the explorer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Is this a device designed for audiophiles? Videophiles?

how does it compete with OPPO 203?
Is it possible to aim for a 4: 4: 4 movie and see quality?
Is it possible to tune 12 BIT and see quality?
Is it competing against a Windows computer?

·
Registered
383 Posts
tonigold9,

I think this review on youtube will probably answer your questions. He goes through the settings and also compares video output to an OPPO (If not in this video in another of his videos on Zappiti).

Hope that helps.
Cheers

Reactions: Blueasta

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is there a way to sort by genre or category? I see that you can have certain "collections" of movies such as the alien movies or avengers films.

Thanks! Really thinking about dropping 5 on this next week

·
Registered
383 Posts
Is there a way to sort by genre or category? I see that you can have certain "collections" of movies such as the alien movies or avengers films.

Thanks! Really thinking about dropping 5 on this next week
Yes it sorts them into catagories also like Drama, Comdy, Action, Animation, Adventure, etc all automatically Then you can just choose that Catagory and it shows them all.

Reactions: Blueasta
3681 - 3700 of 3709 Posts