AVS Forum banner

161 - 180 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
That’s correct. However you need to know what titles have the force subtitles so that you select the correct track.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Thanks. You bring up a real problem...
Its an issue but not a big one for me. The amount of titles this effects is small and even then it is just a matter of selecting the correct sub. The simple solution around this is to do full disc back ups rather than MKV and then forced subs work.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you make iso ok but in case of mkv how do you know wether that movie should have forced subs? That’s what I mean..

·
Registered
918 Posts
If you make iso ok but in case of mkv how do you know wether that movie should have forced subs? That’s what I mean..
You don’t need to create an iso, BDMV works as well. There are databases that list movies with forced subs, a quick google will show them. It’s usually quite obvious in a film if it is missing forced subs.

·
Registered
LG OLED77CX, B&W 805 D3, HTM2D3, ARCAM AV40, PA720
325 Posts
Question about these units. If I were to purchase a Zappiti Pro 4K HDR, since this has two slots for HD's I can get any WD RED's and stick them in there? Also, how do I actually get started and what would I need to rip my large collection of 4K movies I have on disc? I have a pretty fast and new PC though it is in a separate room.

Thanks!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Question about these units. If I were to purchase a Zappiti Pro 4K HDR, since this has two slots for HD's I can get any WD RED's and stick them in there? Also, how do I actually get started and what would I need to rip my large collection of 4K movies I have on disc? I have a pretty fast and new PC though it is in a separate room.

Thanks!
The WDRedd 10TB seems to be the most quiet available hdd for the Zappiti Pro:
You would also need a 4k blu ray drive with special firmware to rip your discs. Regarding the size of your collection you might want two of them, a backup of a 4k disc usually takes up to 45 minutes. MakeMKV is a free software that rips 4K, 3D and standard blu rays.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Thanks!
Assuming your PC has a blu-ray reader, you need software like MakeMKV that can read the discs and convert them into either .ISO (full disc w/menu) or .mkv (movie only) format. Be aware that the "full disc w/menu" format doesn't always work very well depending on the title, and the resulting file can be quite larger than just the .mkv movie (which would still be rather large if a 4k title).

Zappiti has a HDD compatibility list that says the RED drives are fine in everything except the DUO. I don't know why that is. You could always ask them I suppose.
Zappiti HDD compatibility FAQ

Edit: I see EVH78 beat me to it :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
The WDRedd 10TB seems to be the most quiet available hdd for the Zappiti Pro:
You would also need a 4k blu ray drive with special firmware to rip your discs. Regarding the size of your collection you might want two of them, a backup of a 4k disc usually takes up to 45 minutes. MakeMKV is a free software that rips 4K, 3D and standard blu rays.
So when you state “special firmware” which is that and where do I get that? Is that the MakeMKV software?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Assuming your PC has a blu-ray reader, you need software like MakeMKV that can read the discs and convert them into either .ISO (full disc w/menu) or .mkv (movie only) format. Be aware that the "full disc w/menu" format doesn't always work very well depending on the title, and the resulting file can be quite larger than just the .mkv movie (which would still be rather large if a 4k title).

Zappiti has a HDD compatibility list that says the RED drives are fine in everything except the DUO. I don't know why that is. You could always ask them I suppose.
Zappiti HDD compatibility FAQ

Edit: I see EVH78 beat me to it :)
Thanks! Yeah my PC is rather new and doesn't have a blu-ray reader nor any disc drive for that matter. I would need an external drive, are these special drives available externally? I don't care too much about the menu's. I pretty much just want to have my library on tap where I can play movies without needing to fiddle around with discs and noisy players (Xbox one x is super noisy lol). I know they have the NAS they sell but it's pretty pricy ontop of the fact you still need a player.

·
Registered
65 Posts
As EVH78 said, you can go to the forums on the makemkv site and look in the UHD drives section for a list of drives. There are some external ones, yes. All your questions on how to transfer/copy your movies would best be answered over there.

I can tell you that I went through the exact same scenario years ago with my DVD collection (which progressed to Blu-Ray). I was laying about watching TV, flipping channels, when I found a movie I liked so I stopped. The movie was about 1/2 over. My wife happened by and said "don't you have that on DVD?" but I didn't feel like getting up and getting it.

I already had a small NAS so I got my first Media player (a Popcorn Hour), but quickly needed a much better/larger NAS, and thus began the madness...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi all,

I have an LG CX tv. Is it best to put the Zapiti into Direct Output mode and have my TV handle all of the video processing as opposed to the Zapiti?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Try it out and see how it looks. It sort of depends on your content. If you've ripped the majority of your content to the same aspect ratio as your TV, then you'd want to use Direct Output to make sure it gets passed along with no changes to it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Joined the club by purchasing an HDR pro 4k last week and so far impressed although the menu system will take some getting used to (for me!) as I've been very much a physical disc person until now.
So far I am most impressed by how good this thing sounds for my music collection which I wasn't expecting :)
I do have a problem however... If I use the HDMI 2 (main) output then all is well but when I try to use the audio only output weird things happen! Stereo is seen by my processor as 7.1 and audio is distorted and some surround sound files are seen as stereo! Any clues as to why this might be? I can't find any settings related to the HDMI 1.4 output specifically but that doesn't mean there aren't any as I find the settings menu somewhat confusing as it seem to be split between two places (settings and service)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi,

Can this play DSF multi-channel files without converting to PCM? In other words: DSD over HDMI to my receiver?

Thanks in advance
Morten

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,

I have just upgraded to the Pro model from the Mini model. The user manual does not really go into terribly much detail as regards the zero signal connection (other than what connects to where and what it basically does). So i was wondering does anyone have a specific recommendation as to the sort of quality RCA cable I would use? Would a simple cheap generic single channel audio RCA to RCA cable do the trick or would something cheap defeat the purpose?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
:(My Zappiti Pro 4k HDR died today. Waiting on a new Mother board

161 - 180 of 182 Posts