AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the Zektor 5.1 DVI Switch about 3 months ago, and couldn't be happier. This is one well-build 5-port DVI device, and it cleanly handles the audio and video for 3 HDMI devices I currently use, via HDMI to DVI cables output to my DVI projector.

I have not had one single problem of any kind, and programming my universal remote to use switch in macros, etc. this was a breeze. You can even download a Pronto remote file already programmed.

To me, it seemed like me me to use the cheaper switches would be like putting Kmart tires on a Mercedes for my dedicated HT equipment.

If you're looking for a cheapy switch, don't look at this at all. If you're looking for a 5 port switch that costs about $350 and is totally reliable, well made, and has the latest controls built in for DVI switching - here's your solution:

Zektor 5.1 DVI Switcher

Since its easy to complain when something is a pain, I thought I'd share some good news about a pleasant purchase & install experience.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub
Zektor seemed to have announced HDMI improvements here:
http://www.zektor.com/Newsletters/2005-Q4/index.html

I notice their DVI switch has been on backorder for many months, which probably means they intend the announced switch to replace it.
Actually the HDMI switch is a separate and different product altogether.

If you need HDMI inputs and outputs, its a great way to go.

But for the other 51%+ of the world that had DVI inputs in their projectors, TVs, and Monitors, you need this kind of a DVI switch.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFAN0001
Actually the HDMI switch is a separate and different product altogether.

If you need HDMI inputs and outputs, its a great way to go.

But for the other 51%+ of the world that had DVI inputs in their projectors, TVs, and Monitors, you need this kind of a DVI switch.
I know it is easy to miss, but the switch in that announcement is not HDMI (in the sense of using HDMI ports).

"HDVI5 - An HDMI Compatible DVI Switch"

It is their same DVI switch with HDMI compatibility improvements.

They intend you to use it for DVI or HDMI (by using HDMI->DVI converters), but may also come out with versions with HDMI ports or mixed DVI/HDMI ports.

·
Registered
33,528 Posts
What I find fascinating is the fact that Zektor claims they can pass audio over the DVI connections! That's the first time I've heard that for sure. They claim proper engineering enables that feature.

Now, I'm wondering how long these switches take to actually 'switch'?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross
What I find fascinating is the fact that Zektor claims they can pass audio over the DVI connections! That's the first time I've heard that for sure. They claim proper engineering enables that feature.

Now, I'm wondering how long these switches take to actually 'switch'?
I have the HDMI to DVI cable for my connection through the switch, along with toslink audio cable. Switching is smooth and fast (at least faster than the H20 D*TV box channel guide).

I'm impressed by the build quality, the perfect switching every time, and the good product documentation.

For handling all the HDMI outputs through to a DVI projector on over $40K in HT equipment, $350 seemed like a minor investment in sanity and peace of mind. So far, it has been both.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
What I find fascinating is the fact that Zektor claims they can pass audio over the DVI connections!
Why is that surprising? The audio is sent on the same TMDS lines that are present in both DVI and HDMI pathways, so from an electrical standpoint, all the lines are there. It just takes the "proper design" to interpret the signals.

Certainly in the simplest case of "passthrough" design, you can take a DVI cable and slap DVI->HDMI converters on both ends and use the DVI cable as an HDMI cable. Markrubin confirms this works fine.

·
Registered
33,528 Posts
HDTVFAN0001, did you confirm the HDCP compliance with the Zektor? Channel 201 on D* would confirm that the switch is doing this properly.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
HDTVFAN0001, did you confirm the HDCP compliance with the Zektor? Channel 201 on D* would confirm that the switch is doing this properly.
Yes.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Quote:
If you're looking for a cheapy switch, don't look at this at all. If you're looking for a 5 port switch that costs about $350 and is totally reliable, well made, and has the latest controls built in for DVI switching - here's your solution:

Since its easy to complain when something is a pain, I thought I'd share some good news about a pleasant purchase & install experience.
I would expect no less from this vendor, I've been happy with their products for a long time now. Great stuff, but not free. :)

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer
Zektor has discontinued this DVI switch and a new version is due out shortly. Zektor is a very fine company.

-Robert
So that's why I got such a good deal on it (less than $200)....

It is one fine unit. Glad you agree. Your customers would be well served to use this company's products when applicable.

·
Banned
4,969 Posts
Quote:
So that's why I got such a good deal on it (less than $200)....

It is one fine unit. Glad you agree. Your customers would be well served to use this company's products when applicable.
You got a great deal and an excellent switch.

-Robert

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a newbie, and just got my HDTV setup installed a week ago. Since I also have an upconverting DVD player, I needed a DVD switch, and ended up with one of these. It has worked great so far, and I was glad that the user manual was understandable, instead of too techy.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtoby
I am a newbie, and just got my HDTV setup installed a week ago. Since I also have an upconverting DVD player, I needed a DVD switch, and ended up with one of these. It has worked great so far, and I was glad that the user manual was understandable, instead of too techy.
Welcome!

Hope you continue to enjoy your new equipment.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Other than carrying the HDMI signal via a DVI cable/connector, what device puts audio on DVI? And with or without a video signal?

I thought these were passive (no decoding), but I guess if the switch were to become active, could you be talking about decoding the HDMI and passing the DVI/HDMI video signal on to a display and the audio out to a receiver? I guess that it would be possible if it was set up as an HDMI consumer, is that allowed? If it signaled itself as a repeater, are the reports that some DVR will not authenticate with those credible?

v/r,

C-F

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON-FODDER
Other than carrying the HDMI signal via a DVI cable/connector, what device puts audio on DVI? And with or without a video signal?

I thought these were passive (no decoding), but I guess if the switch were to become active, could you be talking about decoding the HDMI and passing the DVI/HDMI video signal on to a display and the audio out to a receiver? I guess that it would be possible if it was set up as an HDMI consumer, is that allowed? If it signaled itself as a repeater, are the reports that some DVR will not authenticate with those credible?

v/r,

C-F
I use a toslink digital audio cable along side my HDMI to DVI converter cable. This switch accomodates up to 5 video and 5 concurrent audio connections.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I have a similar setup, but with the older component switch. I had all optical, but I read somewhere here that if there were no ground loops or long runs, the coax skips two conversion steps, so I just picked up a coax for the last one.

I was just wondering about Jim's post; if he meant that the DVI switch would pass HDMI audio , or if someone was using the DVI to pass audio around.

I thought it might be nice for the switch to call for and strip out the DD 5.1 for those with SA8300HD and HDMI TV inputs with only 2.0 sound. Then they are not dependant on getting the newer soft/firm-ware.

v/r,

C-F

·
Registered
77 Posts
Have used my Zektor 5.1 for a year without problems until today. I have a JVC 5U w/HDMI to DVI cable connected to the 5.1. My old TV Tosh 57HLX82 had DVI input and a DVI cable from the 5.1 to the Tosh worked. Today I got an SXRD with HDMI inputs, so I connected a DVI-HDMI adapter to the cable from the 5.1 to the SXRD. No picture from the JVC 5U but all other DVI components (DVD, Cable, and SAT) are fine.

Connecting the 5U directly into the SXRD with HDMI-DVI Cable with DVI-HDMI adapter works. I was thinking that the transition from HDMI-DVI-HDMI was the problem but adding the switch into the path is where the signal gets lost. Anyone have other suggestions? Robert, I got the switch from you last year, any word on a firmware fix or upgrade path to this newly announced HDMI compatible switch?

Thanks for any help!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.