AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anybody have any experience with this component switcher ? I am looking to purchase one and would like to get fellow enthusiasts opinion on this piece of equipment.

thanx

·
Registered
182 Posts
Great product. Great Service

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Third Opinion.... Great product! Watch the remote set-up, read the instructions..... FIRST ;-)

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have the black one too. Great product. Great Service. I agree with mikey p, programming the remote can be tricky, I had to read the instructions a couple times. I bought one when they first shipped. It's definitely worth the money.

Rick

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you,

who is the dealer for Zektor and for how much is it ?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what about Audio Authority 1154 ($168 give or take) ? Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
871 Posts
What Zektor offers--mechanical component video switching along with both analog and digital audio by remote control--is unique.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Another vote FOR. These guys are great and the product has worked with nary a hitch!

David

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Installed a Zektor about a month ago, and I've been noticing sync 'flutter' from my Toshiba 6200 DVD player in 480p mode. Areas of images seem to lose sync for brief moments.

Thought my RPTV might be going since I rarely play DVDs, The only other switched component is a SA3100HD cable converter (all 1080i out); no sync flutter with it.

Today I bypassed the Zektor and sync stability was normal. Then I switched my DVD input from 2 on the Zektor to 4. Virtually all sync flutter seems to be gone.

Anyone encounter something similar? Hard to see how one Zektor passive input could be a problem. A cable problem? -- John

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have you tried moving the dvd player back to the original port?

I just ordered one and I am wondering if that is a defect or if it was just one of those things that cleared itself up.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Just tried going back to the initial input (the 2nd of 4) and the sync flutter was still present. Tried the other two and it was also present. Then bypassed the Zektor completely again and the flutter vanished.

Then I tried a new component cable connecting the DVD to the Zektor. Seemed to be less flutter, but some is still present. Not sure what the problem is so I'll be contacting the company. -- John

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
John.... Lots of projectors (front and rear) have the "flutter" issue, SONY for one, comes to mind presently..... I have this switch on a direct view HDTV and it works great no matter which input I use. Just wondering, as I have not heard this before on AVS? But could be some sort of issue.

Take care.... later.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I just got mine today, but maybe someone can clarify one thing for me.. i think i know the answer but can it take rgb on one port and component on the other and still output via RGB? or would I need to first transcode a Component signal in? Im guessin the latter..

Chris

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
The Zektor only has three labeled YPbPr outputs/inputs (for video; it has 4 audio inputs). But two of those passive audio inputs, for stereo, can also be used for the H and V of RGBHV connections (page 14 of the manual). You'd still have two digital-audio inputs (optical & coax) available for switching. -- John

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Mason
Just tried going back to the initial input (the 2nd of 4) and the sync flutter was still present (in areas of images). Tried the other two and it was also present. Then bypassed the Zektor completely again and the flutter vanished.

Then I tried a new component cable connecting the DVD to the Zektor. Seemed to be less flutter, but some is still present. Not sure what the problem is so I'll be contacting the company. -- John
Substituting 1-ft Mogami component cables found with a google.com search cured the sync flutter problem. Previously I had a 6-ft component cable linking my DVD machine to the Zektor, then another 6 footer from the Zektor to my Philips RPTV. Now there's 7 feet of cable instead of 12. Zektor suggested the 12-foot total length was too much, and has begun offering shorter cables themselves. -- John

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just jumped into this thread from the HD Tips list where someone posted this link. IF this product really works as advertised on the web site it's the perfect answer to a problem that I, and I suspect a lot of others have. My Sony KP-65XBR10W has one set of component video inputs (Video 5) that you can either input your HD or progressive scanned DVD signal. The other video inputs can't handle the bandwidth (I guess). This is accurate as I have discussed the "problem" with Sony and they confirm this. I am about to upgrade my DVD player to either a Denon 2900 or 3800. While I don't have any serious interest in the 2900's ability to play both DVD audio or SACD if there is literally no noticeable difference in the quality of the output between the 2900 and the 3800 I might as well have the audio capabilities of the 2900 and the 2900 is several hundred dollars less expensive.

The cheapest price that I have seen from an authorized Denon dealer is $900 after a 10% sale. Can anyone point me to a less expensive price at an authorized dealer? I have heard that Good Guys has great Denon prices but I have never seen it there for less than $900 and that price is available locally to me.

So, in summary, the Zektor switcher will switch HD, progressive scanned DVD (480p), etc. with no noticeable loss of video quality based on the glowing testimonials I see here. Where's the best price available and IF you don't buy it directly from Zektor I guess that you take your chances with their return policy.

Also, I have a 4 meter top-end Monster cable that runs between my Sony SAT-HD100 to the monitor. Same for the DVD player (not PS) at this point. Four meters is a necessity and there really isn't anything that I can do about it based on the room. I am a bit concerned about that distance given one of the comments here.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.