AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every now and then while playing Zelda "Link" suddenly can't move well in one direction. Its like he can only walk and tends to drift to the left. On a few other occassions he just start running around in a circle and I can't get control of him. This usually happens after a big fight where I've been using the nunchuck alot for circle slashing. The only way to fix the problem is to turn the Wii off, and then start over, working my way back to that place in the dungeon. Very annoying. It doesn't happen that often but has probably happened a dozen times. I've tried switching to my spare controller, and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Has anyone noticed this with Zelda? Other games? Is this a software issue with Zelda or is there something wrong with my (both) controllers. Or what am I doing wrong?

No, this is not an issue with ghost rats slowing me down, though the first time it happened (someplace on Death Mountain) I thought it was part of the game and Link had been poisoned or put in a trance since he started walking slowly like a Zombie. I'm now very sure it isn't a planned part of the game but some sort of hardware or software problem.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Zelda has some nasty bugs, but this sounds like a hardware issue.

This sounds like a problem with your analog stick. Next time it happens try unplugging and replugging the nunchuck attachment to see if that helps. Make sure you are not pressing the analog stick in anyway when starting the game because the position of the stick at startup is considered the centerpoint of the stick. If you have it pushed aside, even slightly, when this initialization occurs then when you really do release the stick the game will register the true centerpoint as though the stick was being pressed,

Do you have any issues with other games that use the nunchuck?

·
Registered
179 Posts
The nunchuck connector is probably working a bit loose while you're swinging around. If it loses connection for a moment then comes back while you have the stick moved over from center, the point you had it moved to will be treated as center. Make sure the thing stays plugged in good. If it happens in game, the simplest way to fix it is just to unplug it all the way and plug it back in while leaving the stick centered. That'll reset the center calibration. Another way to fix it would be to bring up the Wii menu, go to controller options, and do the "reconnect" thing, after making sure the nunchuck is plugged in firmly of course.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to everyone for their great replies. That makes a lot of sense. I haven't been able to make the problem replicate in the last 2 days, but I've probably only played an hour or so. I didn't think that my hand was anywhere near the analog stick while saving, but I caught myself with my hand on the nunchuck while saving with the A button. Maybe that is how it happened.

Great to know I don't need to turn the whole thing off if it ever happens again, and can just unplug the nunchuck and re-plug. I will post again if I encounter the problem, and this solution doesn't work, but I'm inclined to think that it is either operator error on my part or perhaps a loose connection. Since it has happened on both controllers, it is probably me.

Thanks again. --Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.