AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must say I'm a bit torn.. I'm happy they aren't rushing it but I really want the game at the same time. I'm glad they are adding levels, etc which is good, that was on complaint about WW, it was short on levels IMO

FYI, there are some really nice new screens to look at as well.

"Twilight Princess development team requests extra time to make it a better game.

by Matt Casamassina

August 16, 2005 - Nintendo announced this morning that its anticipated new adventure game, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, has been delayed. The title, formerly scheduled to debut this November around the world, has since been postponed to 2006 so that the developer can continue to make the game better.

"After much discussion, the Zelda development team has requested extra time to add new levels, more depth and even higher quality to Zelda: Twilight Princess," said Nintendo of America's vice president of corporate affairs, Perrin Kaplan. "Consequently, we're announcing a new global launch in 2006, after the conclusion of this fiscal year (March 31). We'll provide a specific date at a later point in time. While this may come as a disappointment to many eager fans, it will absolutely enrich the game and make it a multi-million seller."

Twilight Princess, developed by Nintendo and directed by Majora's Mask overseer Eiji Aonuma, was previously set to be the company's big holiday game. In fact, analysts expected the game to be Nintendo's single greatest deterrent to consumers potentially interested in Microsoft's next-generation console, Xbox 360, which is set for a November launch. The delay leaves Nintendo without a major holiday release on GameCube.

In the epic adventure, a 17-year-old Link travels across a gritty, realistic world and is able to move into an alternate dark land called the Twilight Realm, where he transforms into a wolf. Twilight Princess won a number of considerations by critics when it was presented in playable form at the Electronics Entertainment Expo. However, even then, members of the development team hinted in interviews that they would have to work overtime in order to meet a holiday release.

Nintendo has released seven new screenshots of the game in motion. Readers are directed to our images section for new shots of Link exploring a populated town and manipulating the snow as the wolf.

Stay tuned for much more on the game in the coming weeks and months"

http://cube.ign.com/articles/642/642238p1.html

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Sigh....this really disappoints me. This was Nintendo's big holiday game. While I love that they want to make it as perfect as possible, I think they're really going to take a major sales hit this holiday season with the current GC lineup.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
They never cease to amaze me. Rushed or not, I think we all agree that business-wise, Nintendo needed to launch this game this holiday season. PS2 still has some high quality titles in the works and the 360 launches in November. What are you thinking Nintendo? Now all I'll have to play until then is Mario Strikers.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
true.. business-wise not a good move at all.. I wonder if they will end up putting it on the Revolution. Well who knows when it will actually come out anyways? so many unknowns with Nintendo

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
true.. business-wise not a good move at all.. I wonder if they will end up putting it on the Revolution. Well who knows when it will actually come out anyways? so many unknowns with Nintendo
I doubt it will be on Revolution. I mean, technically it is since Revolution is backwards compatible. But, I don't know if they'll make it only playable on Revolution. Who knows? Maybe they'll give it some enhanced features if its played on the Revolution. That might not be a bad idea to promote a new and "unique" gaming system.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Quote:
"Consequently, we're announcing a new global launch in 2006, after the conclusion of this fiscal year (March 31).
I was actually thinking of checking this game out, but I'm not sure I'll be as interested next April/May when I've got a growing stack of X360 games, and can already see PS3 launching on the horizon....

It looks like RE4 might be the last GC game for me :)

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Quote:
Consequently, we're announcing a new global launch in 2006, after the conclusion of this fiscal year (March 31)
This is puzzling. An second quarter release is going to hurt sales, unless it was pushed to Revolution and thats a second quarter release.

At this point the GC is dead in the water. Zelda was the last great hope. Coffin closed (IMO of course).

If I were at Nintendo I would be on my feet pushing for the game to be switched to the Revolution.

By the time the Rev comes out the 360 is going to be in 2M+ homes, maybe far higher (Depending on the analysts you listen to) and it will be competing with a PS3 launch.

What better title to come out of the game with than Zelda?

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
I'll agree on the bad move. And releasing this on the Revolution would be quite a task, and slap in the face of those hanging on to their GC for this game. First off, they'd have to redo the graphics...while good, they certainly don't stack up to the 360 or PS3. I think if it launched this year, you might see a bunch of folks buying a used GC (or new) just for this game. Now, those folks are going to just get a few more slick looking 360 games or put it in their PS3 piggybank.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Everyone complains about a lack of quality games when new systems launch, what better title could Ninteno release for the Revolution than Zelda? Forget internal HDDs, gigaflops, polygon counts, cell processors, and 1080i resolutions-- Zelda would sell consoles. That might make a little too much sense for Nintendo, gotta be different ya know. Hopefully Super Mario Beach Volley Ball Party III will be a hit at launch.

·
Registered
158 Posts
i don't think zelda would have increased gamecube sales, especially if nintendo ends up announcing a new, backward-compatible system at around the same time the game would have launched. people would simply have waited for the next system and bought the game then anyway.

for nintendo to go through all the trouble of hyping the snot out of it at e3 and being poised to be a sales sensation at christmas, not to mention letting down millions of excited fans, there must be more than "a bit of extra polish" behind the decision. did the devs get their hands on a revolution prototype and want to implement new concepts? are they making a hi-res texture option on the disc for the next system? are they using this as a way to get the game to launch on revolution instead without hurting previous gamecube sales? who knows.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
To quote Tom petty, the waiting is the hardest part.

This should be no surprise of a delay of game from Nintendo. Is it dissapointing? Sure, but it's also ZELDA. It could take 2 more years and the game would still probably be good or a classic by then.

Yes, other stuff is coming but the best games are worth the wait. You wouldn't take a half done pizza out of the oven. Let this one bake.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Martin
To quote Tom petty, the waiting is the hardest part.

This should be no surprise of a delay of game from Nintendo. Is it dissapointing? Sure, but it's also ZELDA. It could take 2 more years and the game would still probably be good or a classic by then.

Yes, other stuff is coming but the best games are worth the wait. You wouldn't take a half done pizza out of the oven. Let this one bake.
I agree 100% My argument is on the business side, it's just bad for them. It is a testament to their software though, many people will keep their Gamecubes just to play this one game. That's more than can be said for other systems.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsguy
I agree 100% My argument is on the business side, it's just bad for them. It is a testament to their software though, many people will keep their Gamecubes just to play this one game. That's more than can be said for other systems.

I aggree too, take a step back and think..both half-life 2 and grand turismo 4 were delayed far worse than a few months. When the game is good enough, a delay still stinks but it won't hurt sales noticeibly, if at all. It's not like it's gonna be duke nukem forever or anything

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.