AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Zenith 520 which I will connect to a Samsung 172W widescreen 17" monitor via DVI and use the two units as my HDTV in my bedroom. My question is I would like the remote control of the 520 to turn on and off the Samsung monitor when the 520's power buton is pressed. This would avoid needed to get out of bed (lazy me) to power off the monitor when I'm done watching. Obviously if the 520 had a switched outlet on the back it would serve this purpose but it does not. Is there a way to either ADD such a switched outlet or is there some other way to get the two units to act as one.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I use Pronto TSU2000 touch screen and macros to send multiple IR commands to accomplish my switching. Of course this doesn't address your particular situation, but a programmable remote may be a solution.

Tom

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tom,

I have the same Pronto (great unit) but you're right that will not solve my issue because the Samsung monitor does not have it's own IR capability, just a power switch like a normal monitor. I have found a few AC switched outlets that turn on or off when the sense a DC voltage on a set of contact but for these to work I would need to find a DC voltage either inside or the back of the Zenith SAT520. Does anyone know if the S-Video port has voltage on it...? I do not plan to use it at all.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Does your monitor also provide your audio?
Yes it does but it's a tad small sounding so I put a spare set of Cambridge Soundworks PC speakers with subwoofer there. In either case there is no switched AC outlet option. Maybe I just need get off my butt and press the button.

·
Registered
390 Posts
You can either get an X10 and IR interface (a little pricey), or buy a current sensitive power strip (a little hard to find). The power strip can be adjusted off the current draw of the STB to turn on the monitor. HOWEVER, there may not be enough difference for it to work (since the STB is on all the time). Rat Shack used to carry one, but it may be discontinued... Good luck :)

·
Registered
908 Posts
Joe, when I read the response my next thought was a X10 unit using an IR controller. Richard you can go to Smarthome and see if you are interested in pursuing that direction. I use a dry contact X10 unit driven by a thermostat in my projector enclosure to turn on and off a remotely located in line exhaust fan.

Tom

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.