Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the group...

I have a Zenith 520 HDTV off-air/sat receiver. I took a power surge two days ago, and this caused the 520 to lock up, unable to power. Despite unplugging/replugging would not come alive. So I remove all the cables to return to CCity for service, and decide, lets try one last time. Of course it comes alive (good for superbowl reasons). So has anyone else had this unable to power up issue? Or should I send in for service after superbowl?

2nd question, the 520 continually adds channels to my channel list. That is, I only want to display the HDTV channels as I have 2nd TIVO unit for DirectTV, but it will add 1 or 2 or 3 channels to my "ok" or watch list. This is very annoying as I am always having to remove the added channels. Any comments?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
1. I had this happen to me once but never again. I do use a UPS for it. A true cold reboot ( power cord disconnected; wait 1/2 hour etc seems to solve most problems.

2. There are two ways to save custom channels. Unfortunately custom is RAM and is not reliable. The other (surf) is in ROM and stays. So put what you want in the surf category and use that.

Joel

·
Registered
390 Posts
The 520 has 3 issues with the custom guide:

1) If you lose power, it's trashed (UPS is a great thing)

2) Every time DTV monkeys with the channels, the changed ones will pop up on the custom guide. Including the temporary ones :(

3) If the unit reboots because of bad PSIP data, same as power loss

Normally I only have to contend with the nightly shopping channel they add (why can't they just leave it up but off). Occasionally like today though I get a whole raft of additions :( Being a SW programmer I can say "we suck" :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chucko
Ditto on the UPS. With all the money you probably have invested, a good UPS is what I'd call a necessity, and a relatively cheap one at that.

Chucko
This very same thing happened to me also. At the time I was in the process of selecting a new power center anyway(I settled with the HTS5100) and never had a problem since.

I think the 520 is a great little box and enjoy many OTA channels here in the KC area.

HBomb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.