AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The current issue of Perfect Vision rates HD display picture quality and gives the Zenith the highest rating of all. I know when I did my shopping I was sure I had not seen another HD display that could match the overall sharpness of the Zenith. What's disappointing is that the article indicates you better get one quick since it will be replaced in 2002 with a model with 7" guns. Bummer.

The Princeton Graphics direct view was also rated best within that category.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just got my issue, too. I feel lucky in my purchase of almost two years ago. I bought sight unseen from a review and a gut feeling that the engineers at Zenith would put evrything they had into this first set. I haven't been disappointed. I also had the feeling that they might "dumb down" the sets later to save money. It's just a shame they don't do a better job of cutomer service and marketing (I have NEVER seen the Zenith on display anywhere - I ordered mine from the local Zenith repair shop - the owner was thrilled)

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here on Long Island, we've been fortunate to have a dealer in Manhasset who displays a properly ISF'd Zenith (performed by Gary Merson). I actually saw the set before Gary did the calibration on it, and was blown away. I had seen many HD RPTVs to that point and were impressed by some but not blown away by any. When I saw the Zenith, my shopping days were over. What's testimony to this set, is that over a year later I'm still blown away by the picture and continue to watch some of the most innane dribble simply because it's in HD. My wife thinks (and is probably right) I'm a certifiable loony. She does admit to being impressed too though.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Agreed. I got mine in spite of the horrible set up at the dealer (but with a nice discount). After I set it up with Avia I've had a great HD display (and not bad on NTSC, either.)

I think that one of Zenith's problems is advertising. Several friends bought FP Zeniths about 10 years ago and they were very, very good for the price. Zenith just didn't seem to want the consumer market to know they were available.

Rick

·
Registered
21 Posts
This "best HD display picture quality" rating by Perfect Vision is nothing new to us, right Ken. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

However, I am more impressed by the review I occasionally receive from a "higher" source than Perfect Vision. That review comes when my wife walks by and utters, "Wow, that's some picture" when I'm watching "my" Zenith upstairs. And that comes after she spends most of her time watching "our" other HDTV downstairs, a Samsung HCJ552W, 55" - 16:9, which is no slouch in its own right.

Ken, as an aside, do you know of any progress on Zenith's end of addressing the issue with Progressive Scan DVD players other than your Toshiba 6200? I have the Panasonic RP91 and get that dreaded split screen with the black line down the middle in progressive mode.

Still smiling about our choice.

Mike D.

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike,

Agreed on the "wife acceptance factor". Even my wife, whose usually incredibly blase about techno issues, is wowed by the Zenith.

On the progressive issue, Zenith had told me about 2 months ago, that they would be coming out with a software update that would address this issue (they didn't say when). This is progress since they've usually not acknowledged that the problem even existed. They even went so far as to tell me that not ALL Toshiba 6200s work with the Zenith. There was apparently a recent firmware upgrade in the newer Toshiba 6200s that causes the same line down the middle issue. This is a case where "older is better" applies to DVD players.

·
Registered
292 Posts
From reading this forum for over a year now, I was always under the impression that the Pioneer Pro-710 was the reference set for HD RPTVs. How does the Zenith IQB64W10W compare since they seem to be in the same price range?? I know that "which set is better" questions are always subject to opinion, but since they are both in the same price range I figure there is no "bang for the buck" factor.

Joe

[This message has been edited by JoeCraw (edited 06-24-2001).]

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Joe,

The same article in The Perfect Vision gave the Pro 710 3 stars and the Zenith 5 stars. That's a big difference. When I was shopping for an HDTV, I too saw the Pioneer and thought the Zenith was significantly better.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JoeCraw:
... but since they are both in the same price range I figure there is no "bang for the buck" factor.
Joe,

Actually, the Zenith also wins that "bag for the buck" factor because it has a built-in ATSC tuner for OTA HD reception for those not interested in satellite HD for the moment.

I also felt the Zenith had a "warmer" and more life-like display than the Elite 710 which was on the "cool" side. Although I did not see as large a "gap" as the 5 star to 3 star difference as reflected in Perfect Vision.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Actually all 7 of the HDTV's in the article are highly recommended. The "5-star" rating is based on feature/function. 5 star being without regard to price.(Zenith,Sampo,PG) 4-star being somewhat less feature/function but often for a lot less money (the Toshiba). 3-star for a system whose connectivity options are somewhat less ambitious but still high-end. (Pioneer) 2-star for a system with somw limitations but has enough going for it for the price (Sony XBR) and the 1 star for an entry level system (Sony 61hs10)

Ed Betty

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ed,

Thanks for the information on what the number of "stars" reflected in the article, I have not been able to read the article yet but knew it could not have been based strictly on picture quality.

However, since it is based on feature/function and all sets are "highly recommended", then a "5-Star" set would be considered more "bang for the buck" than a "3 Star" set, in theory.

So Joe, there's the answer to your "bang...buck" question ... and it only took three (3) replies to get to it, that's got to be a record. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Mike D.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Ross:
Mike,

...the rating for High Definition Picture Quality gives the Zenith 5 out of 5 and the Pioneer 4 out of 5...
Ken, thanks for the additional information on the PQ rating. That Zenith-5, Pioneer-4 is closer to my observations when I was comparison shopping, although I would give the Pioneer a 4.5-4.75 on PQ, like that means anything...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Does anyone have experience hooking up an external scaler like an Iscan Pro to the Zenith 64 inch? Does the set lock into "Full" mode like the Pioneer's do?

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I wonder how much of the Zenith's PQ can be directly attributed to the originally $5k retail (could be bought as an STB) built in Zenith ATSC tuner?

------------------

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mike,

Let me try to clear up some confusion on the ratings and how they apply to pure picture quality. The article breaks down different elements of these sets, and the rating for High Definition Picture Quality gives the Zenith 5 out of 5 and the Pioneer 4 out of 5. The overall evaluation for all factors gave the Zenith 5 stars and the Pioneer 3 stars.

I hope that clears up some confusion.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Well, I have a Zenith IQB64W10W AND an RCA DTC100 and can compare the Zenith OTA tuner vs. the RCA and I can report that the Zenith can be slightly more sensitive than the RCA on weak ATSC signals but I can't see any difference in picture quality between the two, which doesn't surprise me.

I have no idea in which ways the 64's ATSC tuner may differ from the $5k outrigger.

Slightly off topic but important: the Zenith's 480i to 1080i format conversion quality is much better than the DTC100's 480i to 540p upconversion. The RCA throws away a lot of detail in the process.

------------------

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

[This message has been edited by Dave McRoy (edited 06-26-2001).]

·
Registered
117 Posts
Gentleman,

Where would be the best price in the Los Angeles area to purchase this fantastic 64" Zenith RPTV HDTV? Or, if the internet is the best place, which internet supplier?

thank-you,

Rick Fehnel

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dave,

Interestingly, my results comparing the RCA tuner and the internal Zenith tuner were different than yours. I attached my cable HD input into the RCA and compared its picture with the same feed going into the Zenith tuner. I found the picture sharper, deeper and more 3 dimensional with the Zenith tuner. However, I don't attribute the internal Zenith tuner (as good as it is) with the explanation of the Zenith's great picture quality. I think alot of it is attributable to the 9" guns, superior optics and Zenith's know how in HDTV (afterall, they were a major contributor towards the HD standard).

Rick, I have no idea where the best price for this set is in the L.A. area. Although I live in N.Y., I got mine from a dealer in New Jersey.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sven. . .

I use a DVDO Iscan with the Zenith 64" with outstanding

results.

DTC100 into an inexpensive VHS into DVDO Iscan into 15 pin

VGA input into Zenith 64". DTC out is left green light only. This combo works great for everything other than

HDTV.

Hopes this helps.

Hummer

------------------

Brown Trout - 18 3/4#

You should have seen the one that got away!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.