AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got their hands (ok, eyes) on one of these yet? My parents are replacing a 35" Sony analog set, from the Zenith website it appears to have what I'm looking for in a replacement set for them (Tube TV, Flat screen, HDTV capable for use with a DTC-100 they will get and plenty of component inputs for DVD. Another feature I like is the 800x600 support for computer use. How is Zenith's quality control overall? How well does the internal doubler perform? Does it perform the anamorphic squeeze on DVD's? One last question, are there any other sets out (or coming out very soon) that have the same or better features given my search parameters?

Thanks in advance for the feedback from all the great minds on this forum.

·
Premium Member
Sony XBR-65A1E, Denon 3400, B&W
965 Posts
Whoa. 600P. Isn't this the down-rezed answer to copy protection on sets with only analog inputs? The new Zenith STB has only analog inputs.

Don't mean to hijack your thread but this jumped off the page when I looked the web page for this set.

·
Registered
69 Posts
as someone who owns way too many hand-me-down Zenith normal tvs, those things have the worst quailty control on the planet, they are always having problems.

I have no clue about the Digital ones tho.

·
Registered
199 Posts
All the newer sets today are higher tech using chips and boards instead of tubes and hand wiring. Comparing old hand me downs is not apples for apples, there are many well known brands with a multitude of problems on todays sets and people still buy them and are happy with them. If reliability is a concern, get an extended warranty and buy the set based on your own personal views and needs.

The Inteq line has some of the best blacks and picture quality I've ever seen on an analog. The high def 64" from Zenith's first generation with 9"guns is still recognized as one of the best in picture quality and isn't that why we buy a set in the first place?

If you find any brand that pleases you and has what you want, a good dealer will work with you if not satisfied after a reasonable period.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback so far, I guess no one has seen the set at any of the shows yet and I'll just have to wait for it to street. If it can do an anamorphic squeeze on DVD'S and has a great internal doubler it looks like it will get the nod as I can get one for $1699.00 plus shipping.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can tell you that I saw a 32in Zenith HDTV right beside a Hitachi 32in HDTV at Circuit City the other day. Both were feed a HD feed. I thought the Hitachi was definately the winner. Its colors were more vivid (sorta like a glossy vs matte finish) - we messed with the menus (on both) too to see if we could get it closer and we did, but the Hitachi was definately the winner in my eyes. for whats worth ....

·
Registered
535 Posts
I too have been considering this TV for a couple of months but no one has seen them and there are no reviews to be found as of yet. The 36-inch RCA Scenium, which has been taken off their site because it's release has been delayed (2nd 1/4 2002 I think), is the only other TV that I know of that has all the features that the D36D53 has; flat screen, high def component inputs, line doubler, direct PC connection, etc. I want to be able to use a HTPC connected to a 15pin d-sub connection for DVD and games but the only TV that gives you this connection and a flat screen is Zenith. The more time goes by with out much word on these TVs the more I think they can't be that great. I have been researching them since May so if they were any good we would know it by now. If Zenith has such a good product on their hands, which they do feature wise, then I would think they would be getting it reviewed and compared to the XBR's and TAU's who are the leaders in picture quality in this market. The fact that this has not happened and also that there is next to no info on the net about them leads me to fear the worst, poor picture quality compared to the big boys. Now you could be thinking that the TV just came out so that's why there is no info out there yet but if it's any good why take that approach. If you had a product that was maybe not the best but comparable and had features that no one else had wouldn't you be trying to ram it down everyone's throat! If I were introducing a new product into a very competitive market I would do it with a bang not a dull thud. As I said all of this leads me to fear the worst which sucks because this TV was going to be my direct view great white hope but like so many great white hopes I think this one is going to hit the canvas and be down for the count. Sorry for the long post but this TV was the one I wanted because it has all the features I was looking for so I’m a little disappointed at this point. If anyone knows of any other TV’s with these features please let me know.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CO1,

I agree with your post to a point. On one hand if the product line was the cat's a** they should be shouting it from the mountain top, on the other hand just because it's not first one out of the gate doesn't mean it won't finish the race first. I've seen the monkey see-monkey do situation too many times in my other activities/hobbies (snowmobiling, bass fishing, radio control helicopters), just because the masses say if you're not riding this, fishing with that or flying this etc..., then you're certain to be stuck with a substandard product. Most people follow like cattle and feel they must have the same thing as everyone else or they won't "fit in", instead of choosing another item that's not as "popular" as say the Sony's, Hitachi's, Panny's etc.....but may be just as good or better. In the end the D36D53 might just be the best featured piece of junk in the HDTV/direct view catagory, but as I have learned, if you get off the beaten path, you are very likely to find a hidden gem.

·
Registered
535 Posts
1BadBanshee, I hope you're right because to date the only TV with all the features I'm looking for is the Zenith. I just don't want to give up picture quality for the extra features. If you don't mind could you tell me where you got the price you mentioned. Maybe I can get the shop I deal with to come down a little more if I can show them a cheaper price. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.