AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to keep up with all the threads & the Zenith DTT901 and the CM-7000 seem to be quite popular & I want to get either one.


I've seen a couple comments where the Zenith has an audio delay problem, but only a couple comments. Is this a wide spread problem or just a scattered one?


I've also seen a few comments that the CM-7000 has a problem with lower VHF channels. Again is this wide spread? This is a concern because currently by me CBS digital is VHF 3. And after the transition ABC digital will be VHF 7. While not really VHF low band, it sure is close. Will the S-Video output make that much difference on a CECB? I ask because I do not see a big movement to buy boxes that have it.


Fry's has the CM-7000 on sale so it will be the same price as the Zenith at CC. I'd wait a bit longer to see what the next version may bring, but my coupon will expire in about a week.


Any consensus which is the best choice from those who have tried both?

Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 /forum/post/14320880


1.) I’ve seen a couple comments where the Zenith has an audio delay problem, but only a couple comments. Is this a wide spread problem or just a scattered one?


2.) I’ve also seen a few comments that the CM-7000 has a problem with lower VHF channels. Again is this wide spread?


Any consensus which is the best choice from those who have tried both?

1.) There's been more than a couple reports of it here. Not so much lately, though. I guess you'd have to search back.


2.) I'm in the same market as you, and the answer here is no. Not with my box so far, anyway.


My opinion: the CM is a better box - unless you really need that pass-thru. Slightly better sensitivity and PQ through the s-video.


The only two things I can think of in the Zenith's favor are:


1.) You can set the picture aspect for each separate channel,


2.) When you change the channels on the guide on the CM, the channel changes along with it. Not so with the Zenith's "Now/Next" guide. But the extended guide data on the CM more than makes up for that, IMO, and


3.) You can use the Zenith's remote to turn on and off *some* TV sets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
I saw the CM-7000 at Fry's here in Georgia, but they did not indicate they were going to accept the coupons. Do you know if they have changed their policy? I don't want to drive 35 miles just to find out.

tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
I own both boxes, and I prefer the CM-7000. I like its 12-hour channel listings, S-Video, and it does a slightly better job at holding a signal than my Zenith DTT901.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 /forum/post/14320880


I've been trying to keep up with all the threads & the Zenith DTT901 and the CM-7000 seem to be quite popular & I want to get either one.


I've seen a couple comments where the Zenith has an audio delay problem, but only a couple comments. Is this a wide spread problem or just a scattered one?

I haven't seen any audio sync problems on my Zenith DTT901.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Which box can you buy locally, vs. mail ordering?


If you have to do an exchange, due to any issues, it can be faster, and cheaper to take it back to a local store than to ship it back to an online seller.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,805 Posts

Quote:
Which box can you buy locally, vs. mail ordering?

CM's are at Fry's, and the Zeniths are at Circuit City.

Quote:
It has been an NBC issue. No sync problems with either the 900 or 901.

Yeah, Ive never had a problem with mine. The 901 is louder on stereo though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
I have both boxes and find them useful in different ways. If you can get the CM7000 on sale at Fry's then I'd say go for it. Their sale usually ends on Tuesday so you would have to buy it today. Fry's puts them on sale pretty often so if your coupons last past 7/29 you may have another chance.


The Zenith is good for me to do digital and analog recording because of the APT. I leave on the Zenith 901 and I record 2 hours in the morning using the converter with the TV/VCR Combo set to record channel 3. Then the Zenith turns itself off and in the afternoon I record on another channel using the pass thru. The morning analog channel is really snowy so recording in digital is great. The afternoon analog channel is pretty good so this works out well until 2/2009.


I purchased a DTVPal with my last coupon yesterday, at Sears, but I haven't opened it yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmwalsh0 /forum/post/14323982


I saw the CM-7000 at Fry's here in Georgia, but they did not indicate they were going to accept the coupons. Do you know if they have changed their policy? I don't want to drive 35 miles just to find out.

tom

I called Frys in Duluth, GA and they said they now accept the $40 coupon. But the Channel Master 7000 is currently $79 at this store. If anyone finds it to be on sale at the Duluth Frys please post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign /forum/post/14342401


I called Frys in Duluth, GA and they said they now accept the $40 coupon. But the Channel Master 7000 is currently $79 at this store. If anyone finds it to be on sale at the Duluth Frys please post.


I guess their sales vary by stores. The Fry's in Illinois advertised $59.95 in the newspaper, price good thru Tues (7-22).


Maybe your store will have them on sale in the coming weeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,306 Posts
I checked the Sunday paper and the Channel Master is on sale. I will stop by this evening and get it. The information I got when I called the store was incorrect.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top