AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is simply wild speculation, but does anybody think that we will see an updated Zenith DTT902? Basically a Zenith DTT901 with a more robust channel guide like the DTV Pal/DISH TR40. Or in the grand scheme of things is the demand for these in the US going to drop in just a few months? I am sure that we will all see news broadcasts somewhere about somebody who had absolutely no idea that a change was coming. And then one day they turned on there old Philco and saw (shudder) nothing. For the most part, I would think that once the cut over occurs that the demand would diminish immensely. On the other hand, are there quite a few areas where they are still watching on translators and the demand won't hit until some time in the future?

Also, does anybody recall what other countries are switching to the same ATSC standard as us? Is it both Canada and Mexico? Maybe the demand for converters will shift from the US to other parts of the world.

One other random thought. If the DISH DTV-PAL DVR proves to be popular, could we see Zenith's answer to this announced at CES 2010? Perhaps a DTT1000 DVR!

·
Registered
300 Posts
You're right. This is squarely in the realm of speculation. It has been discussed on other threads though.

I personally don't see much incentive for Zenith (LG) to introduce a model along the lines you've described. The current DTT901 is selling well - better than most competing models. Currently, the coupon program is scheduled to end in March, with the last of the coupons expiring normally thereafter. Should the coupon program be extended for 6 mo. or more, I suppose that mfgrs might contemplate further improvements.

Some posters feel strongly that NO new non-CECB models will hit the market as the coupons cease to exist. I hope and expect that there may be a few, based on the current production lines.

Non-CECBs with HD outputs and latest generation ATSC tuners would find a market.

I'd buy more than one DTT902 in the ~$60-$80 price range, if it had component and HDMI outputs. I know more than a few others who would, as well. There seems to be a pent-up demand for clear QAM STBs, as well.

So, these may not find a huge market, but lots of consumer electronics hit the shelves with limited market expectations. Guessing from the numerous early CECB posts to AVSForum asking about component outputs and QAM, I know there is definite interest.

All that said, the naysayers have a point. Separate settop boxes are not that popular. Your notion of one with a top-shelf ATSC/clear QAM tuner plus DVR might muscle out existing DVRs - especially if it were sub $100 or even $150 price class.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I believe I've read that the Canadian ATSC transition is several years off, still. While the Mexican transition is even further down the road.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
An HD version of this box with HDMI, Component, and DD out would be nice. The receiver in the Zenith leaves that of the built OTA tuner in E*'s vip211 in the dust.

That said, since new TV's all have ATSC tuners built in I've not seen a new stand-alone HD tuner introduced in ages. Some of us still have older CRT based HDTV's without intergrated tuners that would benifit from a sixth-generation OTA tuner. My other stand alone tuner is a older US Digital FTA box I got a Walmart several years ago.

CECB"s will eventually join "UHF converters", VCR's, and 8 track players.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
VCR's are nowhere near dead.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by systems2000 /forum/post/15692939

My two Toshiba VCRs and seven of my eight Panasonic DVD/VHS combo recorders are semi-retired, "resting" in their boxes in a closet. One Panasonic DMR-ES35V combo recorder is still in limited use, primarily as the VHS/DVD player for the family TV. Six of my Panasonic recorders/combo recorders have accumulated 3,000 to 4,300 DVD recording hours per machine. Only very rarely will there be intermediate transfers/recording to VHS, perhaps totalling no more than five hours during 2008, none (so far) in 2009. All these machines were fully functional at last use. I have six Panasonic DVD recorders, one Philips HDD/DVD recorder and two Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders in current use.

My daughter has one Toshiba VCR that may be in current use and one or two others repose in boxes in the basement storage room. She has two Panasonic DVD/VHS combo recorders in current use.

·
Registered
364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by systems2000 /forum/post/15692939

I'm believe there are certainly a lot of them still in use, including mine. From what I've read though, you can't even buy a stand alone VCR anymore. And many of the DVD-VCR combos will only play on the VCR side, not record. Also end of December, I believe the last shipment ever of blank tape left the manufacturer. So it may not be dead, but a lot of shots are being fired at it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts