AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered my DTV-1080 ($799) from viscountvideo.com and was wondering if it comes with the oval dish? I asked the salesman and he stated it does come with it. There is a about a week or two delay before it will ship. I ask this because I first called cousinsvideo.com and their shipments were delayed about one month and they told me it doesn't come with the dish, I had to buy it extra. What's the deal? Anybody get one with the dish or is it extra? Thanks!:)

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,677 Posts
Any oval DirecTV dish will work fine. The RCA is usually available for about $130, and includes (2) dual LNB's, the dish, and the multiswitch.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ken - I think you may want to clarify the obvious - any Dish designed for HDTV. I tried to do my Mitsubishi SRHD5 with an extra elliptical dish and regular round Dish , had a good signal on the unit but could not get it to work unit I ordered the proper unit after which it worked fine. I am unclear as to why that was, maybe you could clarify this for those of us without the knowledge.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Ken - I think you may want to clarify the obvious - any Dish designed for HDTV. I tried to do my Mitsubishi SRHD5 with an extra elliptical dish and regular round Dish , had a good signal on the unit but could not get it to work unit I ordered the proper unit after which it worked fine. I am unclear as to why that was, maybe you could clarify this for those of us without the knowledge.

that's odd. afaik, all the oval dishes are rebadged channelmasters,

so they ought to be identical (except for the logos)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Interesting. Do mean you a multiswitch that will take input from two LNB (two different SATS) and send them to a single SAT input on a receiver?

The Terk has an assembly that they call a multiswitch but it just appears to me that it is a mounting block for the LNB. In the end four wires come out (two dual LNBs).

The new Zenith DV-1080 STB only has one satellite input therefore the signal from two SATs must be multiplexed into one input.

Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
Something is amiss. I checked the box at the store and it was sealed. There is definitely no 4 in - 1 out or 5 in - 1 out switch in the box. It is not even mentioned in the manual on the contents list. The manual says to run all four wires in to up two four receivers. A bit odd as two wires are the 101 SAT and the other two are the 119 SAT. I'll just order a multiswitch... Warning to others who intend to buy...

It's also odd in that I cannot get any signal from either SAT trying one at a time. It's really odd in that I simply replaced an 18" elliptical dish for a 18 X 24 oval...nothing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The multiswitch can support up to four receivers, that is why the instructions say to run up to four cables into the house. The four cables from the LNBs go into the multiswitch. The switch routes the signals to the receivers via the four outputs. You do not need to use all four. I am only using two. Don't forget you need to aim the dish before you will receive any signal.

What is the model number? You may want to check Terk's website to see what was supposed to come with the dish.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The latest Terk Dishes have the multiswitch built into the arm of the dish itself. The LNB's just plug in to them. There are 4 RG-6 with barrel fittings at the end of them to connect your RG-6 to. I think that the dishes arebeing made by Weingard.

;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well the manual is both clear and confusing.

Clear - Part: LNB Mounting bracket with integrated multi-switch.

Unclear - "...route the cables to the receiver(s)..." Is that one cable to each receiver where the single cable is carrying the signal from both SATs?

The way the cables come through the bracket is appears that two are from the SAT A LNB and two are from the SAT B LNB but the signals could still be multiplexed.

Alas, GregC you forced me to re-read the manual VERY SLOWLY. Buried in the Troubleshooting section "...The four cables from the antenna...are all identical coneections..."

The integral multi-switch bracket has a position for a third LNB (SAT C) which is single LNB connection. The others are dual hence 5 X 4 integral multi-switch as stated in the press release dfp provided above.

So, the Terk TRK-S23 is all ready to go, nothing missing. Now just to get back to pointing the darn thing in the right direction.

thanks all.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well the manual is both clear and confusing.

Clear - Part: LNB Mounting bracket with integrated multi-switch.

Unclear - "...route the cables to the receiver(s)..." Is that one cable to each receiver where the single cable is carrying the signal from both SATs?

The way the cables come through the bracket is appears that two are from the SAT A LNB and two are from the SAT B LNB but the signals could still be multiplexed.

Alas, GregC you forced me to re-read the manual VERY SLOWLY. Buried in the Troubleshooting section "...The four cables from the antenna...are all identical coneections..."

The integral multi-switch bracket has a position for a third LNB (SAT C) which is single LNB connection. The others are dual hence 5 X 4 integral multi-switch as stated in the press release dfp provided above.

So, the Terk TRK-S23 is all ready to go, nothing missing. Now just to get back to pointing the darn thing in the right direction.

thanks all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.