AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered the Zenith DVB318 from amazon. Please let me know if I have this correct from reading this thread. If I get the old firmware I will be able to get 1080i over both Component and DVI, with the new Firmware I will get 1080i from DVI only and some "crushing" firmware fix for DVI. Just want to know if I have this correct. If you get the old firmware, is there a site you can download the new version or do you have to request it from Zeneth to be mailed to you? Can you downgrade to the old version?

thanks

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
The updated firmware (that you have to call Zenith to get) only fixes the reported white crush issue. Personally, I never thought the white crush was that big a deal or noticable.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you install the updated firmware from 7/04, it will eliminate/deactivate the component output capability - so you're stuck with DVI only. If that floats your boat, then I'd suggest you call and get the updated firmware CD from Zenith. If you want the component output, then DO NOTHING.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HDTVFAN0001, thanks for the response. So without the firmware update, BOTH Component and DVI will give me 1080i?

I guess there is no way to down grade the firmware of you get the newer one?

thanks

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by futyb
HDTVFAN0001, thanks for the response. So without the firmware update, BOTH Component and DVI will give me 1080i?
yes

Quote:
I guess there is no way to down grade the firmware of you get the newer one?

thanks
yes

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since this unit only has a 90 day parts warranty, can you purchase an extended warranty from zenith, I looked but dont see they have that option.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I just received my second 318 from Amazon on Monday (first one died on me) and both were build dates of Dec 2003. It does upconvert via 720 and 1080 over component. I noticed a black issue on Pirates of the Caribbean via DVI but have not looked at it via component. I'll do that tonight. All in all, I'm quite happy with it though. It does make DVD's look much better on the 50 inch plasm:)

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Firmware: Fixes DVI white crush, severely cripples upconversion over component video. If you want to use the player with DVI, use the firmware. If you want component video upconversion, don't use the firmware.

No known way to reset or rollback the firmware if you've installed it and don't want to keep it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.