AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spent 5-6 hours trying to add channel 64-1 to my lineup, without success.

I tried to follow the instructions in the manual for adding Cable 8VSB channels... but the receive is not registering this channel.

Did anybody succeed in getting this channel, while keeping the ANT/Digital signal from channel 2-1 and 5-2 alive?

Thanks

·
Registered
908 Posts
I suspect that your local cable is not transmitting ch. 64-1 but transmitting the DTV over cable channel 64. The 520 then will map it to a "-" channel number depending upon the content of the PSIP header. Try manually adding channel 64 only (if that is the cable channel that is being used to transmit 8-VSB DTV.

I am not in NY but I am using the 520 to receive ABC, CBS and NBC via my local cable. WE are 75 miles from Atlanta and the cable company has tuned antennas on a 150' tower. My channels map to 2-1, 46-1 and 68-3. The first two map to the local channels NSTC channel numbers as controlled my the PSIP content. NBC does not have channel specified in the PSIP header so it maps to the cable channel, which is ch. 68.

Make sure you have selected cable as opposed to OTA in Setup and then a manual add. You should see it indicate that the digital channel is found during the signal seek process.

Good luck!

Tom

·
Registered
908 Posts
I read your post again. I do not believe the 520 can be set up to receive HD via OTA and cable at the same time. I read a post somewhere pertaining to the DTV1080 where someone used an A-B switch to accomplish this.

Tom

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you are in Cablevision of woodbury, then HD is available through STB. You need to go into setup menu and select "antenna"and not cable - of course, your cable must be hooked up to "antenna input". Then a scan will pick up the 3 HD channels - FOX Sports, MSG & HBO. I believe channels are 38-1 (or 39-1), 61-1 & 64-1.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PeterMR is correct.... but doing so does not allow me to get the digital OTA channels...

I did connect the Cablevision feed into the ANT connector of the SAT520, and was able to scan and get channels 64-1- 61-1- and 38-3.

But... when I connected the OTA feed into the Cable input, it was not getting the digital signal of CBS 2-1 or FOX 5-2.

I switched the connections back to normal setting and tried again to scan...

If I set Cable as Digital TV Input (in the Preferences Menu) than the box is unable to scan the Digital OTA Channels (2-1 and 5-2) but to my surprise the box is unable to scan the Cablevision digital channels (64-1 etc).

I tried to get help from their tech support, but nobody I spoke to, for more than an hour, new what I was talking about. This, In spite of the fact that page 86 of the manual specifically deals with this issue.

I my opinion there is a bug in the operating system of the box. It should allow (similar to RCA's DTC 100) to independently set the input of the ANT and Cable to get digital signals.

A solution could be if the answer to the following is positive.

Is there any kind of switch that can combine the signal from the OTA Antenna and Cable so that one combined feed will be connected to the ANT/Digital input of the SAT520, so that the box can scan both combined signals to get all available digital signals in the spectrum. While allowing another Cable feed to be connected to the Cable input for regular Cable signal.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PeterMR
Now I understand problem - you cannot combine OTA and Cable HD signal, without separate inputs such as you mentioned, the RCA STB. However, www.audioauthority.com has some interesting solutions - give it a try.
I have looked all over the Audio Authority website and can not seem to find the product that you are referring to. Could yo give more information?

Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Neither could I.

There must be a box to combine signals - similar to the one used to combine 2 LNB signals from a dish...

·
Registered
136 Posts
You cannot combine the signals - they must be separate. That's why the RCA 100 was the ideal solution - two antenna inputs. Reason: OTA channels and 8VSB transmission sometimes share the same channel allocation,i.e.: PBS was 13-1 and Cable HBO remaps to 13-1 and thus a conflict.

I had hoped that with the wide range of products that some tech places sell, such as AudioAuthority, that you could find a splitter that would create two distinct inputs.

I have found that if I want to watch Cable HD I change the input on my Hughes E-86 to "antenna" from "cable" and then manually tune 64-1. When I want to switch back to OTA, I reverse back to "antenna" and the existing CBS, WYNY, WWOR are stored and accessible.

However, don't fret too much as I am advised that Cablevision will be launching HDTV within the first quarter of 2003 utilizing Scientific Atlanta STB. Also some posts indicate that transmission will be QAM which your STB will not be able to decode.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I would suggest a simple RF A-B switch. Radio Shack even sells a IR remote control one.

Your antenna goes to the A input. The cable goes to your B input. The output of the switch goes to the antenna input of your receiver.

You can split the cable signal before the switch and run one end into the cable input of your receiver to view non HD channels.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think this is the right solution.

Are they any AB switches of higher quality than the ones sold by Radio Shack?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.