AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Zenith HD-SAT520 HDTV reciever that was only used for OTA prior to my purchasing it. It has the original software version 00.80.00 and not the newest 1.40.0. I have seen other posts in this forum discusing problems with recieving upgrades from D* over satellite. It seems that these problems were solved in early December and Zenith owners were getting the upgrades from DIRECTV. My question is are they still doing this and how often does DIRECTV do the downloads. Haven't seen any attempts to do the download since Sunday.

·
Registered
141 Posts
DirecTV downloads the upgrade via the satellite dish. The download is automatic. You don't need to do anything.

I received a HD-SAT520 for Christmas. It too has the old version. Seems like DirecTV tries download the upgrade every day or two about 3:30 in the afternoon. Real bummer during football games.

I don't know how D* knows if the download was successful. The receiver isn't transmitting anything back as an acknowledgement.

I called both D* and Zenith support. Zenith says like I need to send it in. I am calling a local guy tomorrow to see if he can upgrade the receiver.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you saying that the download has never been successful? Zenith will do it for $70 which is not reasonable to me. If the product needs an upgrade to correct problems, I shouldn't have to pay for that.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I posted the same problems. My version was the original 1.00.00. I've been using it for OTA only for about a year. I recently got D* this month. Well, every day since Jan 2nd, I've been getting an attempted upgrade. All have failed. I called LG Electronics and arranged for shipment to their facility in AL. Well, lo and behold there was another upgrade scheduled for 4:30 AM EST this morning. The upgrade finally took. The unit now has version 1.04.00. I have heard this happening to lots of folks. If you are patient (or are a procrastinator like me) it will eventually "take". I admit, it was getting annoying when they were doing the upgrades at 4:39 PM EST. The early morning hours make much more sense! I wasn't having any problems with the 520 so the upgrade wasn't a big deal in that regard. It's just that every time it attempted to do an upgrade, my hidden channels would suddenly rear their ugly heads, and I'd have to go back in and hide them again. :mad:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought one in September 03 from Value Electronics here and had D* installed same week. I was lucky it came with the 1.04.00 software out of the box. But I am having this problem with my hidden channels coming back any time the box gets turned off via remote, unlugged or pushing power button on front of unit. Anyone having any luck keeping the hidden channels saved? My surf channels keep in the flashROM ok, but not my custom list.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by skids
I bought one in September 03 from Value Electronics here and had D* installed same week. I was lucky it came with the 1.04.00 software out of the box. But I am having this problem with my hidden channels coming back any time the box gets turned off via remote, unlugged or pushing power button on front of unit. Anyone having any luck keeping the hidden channels saved? My surf channels keep in the flashROM ok, but not my custom list.
Since the upgrade, I haven't had any problems with my hidden channels. Only if the unit is unplugged, or some other quirky thing happens where the unit needs to re-generate the channel list. Since the upgrade, I've been fortunate NOT to have my hidden channels reappear. Too bad this can't be fixed via another software upgrade! :mad:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.