AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this unit installed on my hdtv and a non hd unit installed on my non hdtv. I am using the latest 18 x 24 3LNB dish. It was all supposedly professionally installed by Circuit City. The problem is when using the Zenith all my signal strengths are much lower than that on the non hdtv when viewing signal strengths on that set. For example on my hdtv Sat C transponder 8 is usually around 55 and on my non hdtv it is around 80. When I switched both direct units with each other the low signal followed to the other tv and on the hdtv with the non hd box the signal strength went up to around in the 80's. Called Directv and they felt since the problem followed the hdtv receiver that it was a bad receiver. Took back to Circuit City and exchanged it and still the same problem. Called Zenith and they were clueless. I have had them come out and realign my dish with no change I get great signal strengths on my non hdtv. Is it possible the the Zenith handles the signal different and that is why I see less signal strength or could it be another software bug in that the signal is really good but the graphical interface is not showing it. I hate to exchange it again especially if it is not going to help. I live in Michigan south of Detroit. Also I have a great line of sight for the dish. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I did purchase a 3yr total protection plan on everything from Circuit City. Thanks again for any feedback and Sorry for the long post.

· Registered
469 Posts
I do not know if any of this will help, or even still be accurate, but have you experienced problems with viewing your Directv programming? Also, have you made sure you are comparing the same transponder to the same transponder? I think if you were watching an HD program and tried to check your strength, it will check the transponder for that channel, where that transponder may be different from the analog. Best of luck!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Toshiba5 for your reply. My readings also vary on Sat A transponder 1 by 15 to 18 percent. The Zenith always being the lower number when I match up the same Sat and transponder on the RCA. So is this a normal reading because the Zenith is digital? The installers have tried to tweak the Zenith signal but then my other set loses Sat A completely. I am completely frustrated. If you can receive pm I will pm you with my phone# and we can talk if it is alright with you. I live in Wyandotte, MI. Thanks again for any feedback.

· Registered
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mechanic1244
Thanks Toshiba5 for your reply. My readings also vary on Sat A transponder 1 by 15 to 18 percent. The Zenith always being the lower number when I match up the same Sat and transponder on the RCA. So is this a normal reading because the Zenith is digital? The installers have tried to tweak the Zenith signal but then my other set loses Sat A completely. I am completely frustrated. If you can receive pm I will pm you with my phone# and we can talk if it is alright with you. I live in Wyandotte, MI. Thanks again for any feedback.
I don't think it's accurate to assume the the numbers shown by each unit should be the same. Each may measure the signal strength slightly differently.

I do know that the 520 will bring in signals just fine with a much lower reading, when many other receivers have problems even though they have a much higher reading.

Chucko

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.