AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
33,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have been frustrated by an inability to use a progressive scan DVD player, there IS a fix! I had the digital board replaced today with a new board that contains the new software necessary for the proper display of a progressive signal. The unit now works perfectly with several progressive DVD players I have tried (that did not work prior to the upgrade). In fact, the Zenith was always able to display a "progressive" signal, but couldn't handle a Macrovision encoded progressive signal. That explains why the EARLY models of the Toshiba 6200 worked fine, they did not have Macrovision handling until later in the production cycle of the 6200.

If you want this upgrade (no cost, courtesy of Zenith), call the Zenith hotline and arrange for a local servicer (Zenith will do the leg work).

By the way, contrary to what a few have said about Zenith service, they were excellent in handling this. As the servicer said, there are VERY few companies that would have replaced as expensive a part as a digital board for free. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
33,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hummer,

Performance is as perfect as it was before the upgrade with the exception that I now have total progressive DVD compatibility. The other nice thing I forgot to mention is that convergence & gray scale are not at all affected by the board replacement. The only thing that changed were the picture settings (contrast, color, brightness, sharpness). This is obviously a very minor issue and took all of 30 seconds to restore. Oh, and you have to rescan your OTA channels. Again, a very minor issue. I'm very pleased to say the least.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hey Ken, I guess you (finally) let the Zenith tech's open your tv up. Good going!

--Reichard

·
Registered
33,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reichard,

Trust me it was with MUCH fear and trepidation! Having had one terrible experience already, I wasn't sure I was ready for another. I'm glad I bit the bullet.

·
Registered
33,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Barney,

I can't claim credit for it since I had heard about it from Zenith when I and others questioned them. I had attempted this before, but the first service techs that tried it were very close to brain-dead and wound up screwing it up. They didn't put the connectors back properly (the guys that just did it successfully said they couldn't imagine how the guy could have screwed it up) and I was without the set for a week before their head tech came and put back my old board.

BTW, anybody that tells you that progressive scan DVD players won't improve the picture on the Zenith because the Zenith upconverts everything to 1080i, doesn't know what their talking about. There is a BIG difference in the progressive scan picture vs interlaced DVD since almost all the interlaced artifacts are eliminated. On DVDs where this may not be a problem due to the material, it won't make a big difference but in DVDs where interlaced artifacts are bad (Titanic comes to mind), the difference is HUGE. ENJOY!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I believe it was last March that Zenith had a new board installed in my IQB56W10. I think the version # was 4.71. After reading the various post on this forum, I decided not to purchase a Progressive Scan DVD Player as I understood this upgrade did not fix the problem.

After seeing your post of 9-4-01, I finally called Zenith on Nov 10.

they informed that the version I had installed last March was the latest upgrade. When told about the info I had seen on the AVS Forum, they continued to deny that there was a newer fix. Am I being given the runaround?

Do you have any suggestions as to names etc.at Zenith I could contact to get to the bottom of this.

thank you very much.

Bob

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Well, Ken I think you were lucky: when they replaced my digital board the video levels, gray-scaling and variable chroma gain settings were all screwed up. I managed to re-calibrate the set myself but for many a call to ISF or some other qualified tech might be needed.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had been trying to get this upgrade from Zenith ever since this thread was fresh. The tech came with a new Digital Module ( I was told the part cost $1300, but Zenith was providing it and the service call at their expense, even though my set is a year out of warranty). After installation, we still got the dreaded split screen on progressive DVD. The tech called Zenith's tech number ("Harley" seems to be the only one there familiar with this problem/solution); it seems that Zenith had forgotten to upload a new software/firmware fix to the new part. Three weeks later, the exact scene was again repeated - the second digital module was again shipped and installed with old software.

I gave up on Zenith, sent my RP-91 to snack electronics, had them perform their $99+shipping modification to disable Macrovision and I'm in business. The Zenith set now takes a progressive signal and presumably upconverts to 1080i. I can confirm Ken Ross' observations of greatly reduced artifacts. I believe I'm seeing more saturated colors as well.

Just another option for Zenith owners needing a tweak!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
New guy, so please bare with me.

Are you telling me that my Progressive scan Zenith TV does not actual process this signal properly until I upgrade this board? Or this an upgrade for sets that did not originally have it? I bought mine Nov-2002. Is this something I should concern myself with?

I'm very interested in this.:confused:

·
Registered
33,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bbevans,

That's using your head!! Great idea! I had two service calls before mine was successful. However, in my case, it was the first servicer that screwed up and not Zenith. It's great being able to use a progressive player with all its benefits!

Lordlindsey,

I'm assuming you have the 64" Zenith? If you do, I'm not aware of any of these units that were able to display a progressive scan DVD player properly out of the box. I imagine it is possible that the later units were upgraded at the factory, but I'm not aware of this. If you don't have this upgrade, you will see a line down the middle of the screen when you attempt to use a progressive player in progressive mode. The line splits the picture in two and essentially makes it unwatchable. It's easy enough to see if you have the problem by borrowing a progressive DVD player from a friend (if you don't currently have one).

·
Registered
619 Posts
Ken - would you please let us know what the hardware rev on the board is? Mine is 4.71 also.

FWIW, my picture is moved to the right about 2 inches and down about one inch. I'm wondering if that's adjustable through the service menu, since mine is clearly not split down the middle.

Thanks.

Rick

·
Registered
33,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rick,

Interestingly mine is 4.70. Go figure! My Mic # is 12.09 (I have no idea what that is). As to your question about image shift, yes there is an adjustment for all of these in the service menu. However, keep in mind that the changes are universal, so if you make this change to accomodate your DVD player, you'll also affect the other inputs (including HD). I have the Panasonic RP91 which allows you to adjust the centering on the DVD player itself so I didn't have to change these settings in the Zenith. I guess what I'm saying is make sure this miscentering is not the result of the DVD player as opposed to the Zenith.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Oops, Ken. I rechecked and I'm rev 4.70 also, but with a mysterious mic # of only 9.16.

Playing around, I noticed that some DVDs, like Avia, work find with progressive scan. Others are offset a little to the right and down, and some, such as Starship Troopers, show the split in the middle of the screed you described.

I haven't found anything consistent that explains these results. Guess I'll call Zenith tomorrow.

Rick

·
Registered
74 Posts
cpto

I think the explanation is whether the disk has Macrovision or not. Try most any MGM DVDs (James Bond, etc) - they always played fine in progressive on my Zenith 64; I'm told that MGM doesn't use Macrovision.

My "new" digital module was CPU 4.70 and mic of 8.20 and it didn't work. From what I overhead of the techs talking its the mic number that needs to be higher to correct the split screen (>12??, can't remember).

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Where in the service menu do you see the CPU and MIC numbers?

·
Registered
619 Posts
David - to find the CPU and MIC revs:

1. Press the menu button and hold it down until the menu disappears

2. Within two seconds after the menu disappears, press 9 8 7 6 Enter

3. To clear the screen, press the quit button.

Do not press any other keys as you might wind up in the service menu and mess things up by mistake!

If you don't have the service manual (part no. 923-03415), there are some tips and tricks at

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brand...nith_tips.html

If you do decide to go into the service menu, take some time and write down every setting and number so you can return the set to its original state.

I'm curious to know what your CPU and mic numbers are.

Rick

·
Registered
619 Posts
I talked with Brenda today at the Zenith Digital TV Hotline. She was very pleasant and knew all about the "split-picture" problem with progressive DVDs.

She mentioned that Zenith was being proactive on the issue and said that they had authorized the local service shop to install the upgrade in March of this year. I said that I hadn't heard from them (the shop lost last year's upgrade order, too) and while I waited, Brenda contacted them and faxed them an authorization to fix the progressive DVD problem with a new board at Zenith's expense.

I have to say that I was very happy with Brenda's knowledge and her willingness to take charge and contact the service shop to start the resolution process.

I sure wish other vendors were as interested in caring for their customers as Zenith seems to be.

Rick

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.