AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this was posted elswhere, but in one of my home automation magazines there is a preview of a Zenith HDTV PVR with 80 gig HD that will record about 9 hours. The unit looks very similar to the Zenith 1080i. Expected price quoted at $999.

I have a Sony SAT-200 in mint condition. Anyone interested?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
There have been multiple threads on the Zenith PVR due out next month, which is the HDR-230. There has also been some discussion of the HDR-330, promised for this fall. For the most comprehensive information, you may want to do a search for those threads.

But summarizing -- the HDR-230 is OTA-only, and is similar to the HD PVR that LG has been selling in South Korea since last fall (albeit with a bigger hard drive). Supposedly, it is possible to easily swap in a larger hard drive in the Korean model, and that will hopefully be true on this unit, as well.

The HDR-330 will add the ability to receive unencrypted 256QAM cable signal.

Neither machine will require any sort of subscription to a program guide service, and neither will have firewire.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hjones
I thought I read that it was off the air only.
"Over The Air" sounds better than "Off The Air"... ;)

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tng889
Expected price quoted at $999.
I'm looking forward to the HD-Tivo to come out so that the Zenith will price will drop to something reasonable.

-phil

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
That depends on what the HD-Tivo sells for, of course. If it sells for the same price as the Zenith, and with the added cost of the Tivo subscription, it won't exert much price pressure on the Zenith.

Nonetheless, we all know that these things will cost way less money after they've been out a year or so...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a Sony HD-200 satellite box, which is really the Zenith 520

Considering the brain-dead user interface, I wouldn't buy a Zenith PVR, no matter how much cheaper it is. BTW, I'm not a TiVo fanatic and I don't currently own a TiVo.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If the Zenith will not have Firewire, does that mean the connection will be component?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Yes, the connection will be component.

Anyone seen any evidence that it is shipping yet? It was supposed to start shipping in May.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
The folks at the local Ultimate Electronics are supposed to notify me whenever it shows up in their system -- and as of last Friday, they hadn't heard anything yet. I've also not seen any of the online outfits accepting pre-orders giving an estimated delivery date.

So, with those two bits of information, I suspect it hasn't started shipping.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Cnet errantly described this as coming out at $199. Would that it were true. Alas, they have already corrected their error and -- of course -- I never believed it... Still, we can dream.

·
Registered
311 Posts
J&R says that it does QAM as well...

http://r1.east.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/htt...sku&showcase=t

J&R ITEM # ZEN HDR230

MFR. PART # HDR230

Zenith HDR230 combines Zenith’s latest-generation ATSC terrestrial Tuner with an 80-gigabyte hard Disc Personal Video Recorder for Storage and playback of more than eight hours of HDTV programming. An all inclusive programming device, the HDR230 provides all the Tuning needs that a large-screen HDTV requires.

Analog NTSC and Digital ATSC TV tuners

******* QAM Tuner for decrypting Cable HD broadcasts

80GB Internal Hard Drive can record over 8 hours of TV programming (storage can be edited or transferred to an external video Recording device for permanence)

Program System Information Protocol - HDTV service from TV Guide instantly delivers seven days of listings of all shows and includes a new service that allows consumers to 'tag' favorite shows at the push of a button

Dolby Digital recording and Output capabilities

Ports include DVI - S-Video - Component Video - Composite - Digital inputs or outputs (depending)

Remote Control

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
J&R seems to have swapped the information between the HDR230 and HDR330, since that description matches the latter model.

The HDR330 is due out in the fall, although I expect that it will slip several months, like most HD products seem to.

·
Registered
421 Posts
This is the first time I've seen the QAM tuner info (did I miss it before)! Pretty exciting. What are the chances that this will actually happen, and be decode any qam? Doesn' tthe calble co have to be involved?

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
QAM capability alone is almost worthless because most of the digital cable channels that use QAM are encrypted. The built-in QAM in an HDTV tuner will ony decode unencrypted digital channels.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
See the HDTV STB Synopsis for more on QAM, Zenith & their new STB's.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ThumperBoy
QAM capability alone is almost worthless because most of the digital cable channels that use QAM are encrypted.
Not necessarily. Most local DTV stations are in the clear in QAM, on cable systems.

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
Not necessarily. Most local DTV stations are in the clear in QAM, on cable systems.
This is true here in Chicago on Comcast. Four locals in the clear. Disc-HD while it was here for a short time until Comcast dropped it was in the clear too.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
> Not necessarily. Most local DTV stations are in the clear in QAM, on cable systems.

In other words, you get to pay a monthly cable bill to access *some* of the programs that are available for free to those who have antennas.

It does seem that the utility of any tuner with built in QAM reception is somewhat limited if it can't be used to receive (and record) any of the non-broadcast HD channels.

Still, I suspect that adding the QAM tuning capability on the next generation tuners is probably a very low incrememntal cost now that the chips are out to allow it -- so there is no reason to not include this capability.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
I don't know about other Time Warner locations, but in the Orlando area Time Warner (now Brighthouse) scrambles all HD channels, even locals. QAM tuners have no benefit in these markets.

Jay

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.