AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Brandsmart today in Miami, FL and they have new HDV420's for $168.88. Thats right. The sales manager advised that the Zenith rep told them to expect the HDV430 by early summer. Zenith must have a boat load of 420's if they are letting them go that cheap....

Oh, too too bad they don't get the SAT530 in production for an early summer delivery. Last I heard for the 530 is fall at the earliest which in Zenith language probably means November!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brandsmart often participates with manufacturers on closeouts. I bet you'll see similar price drops at other retailers shortly.

You can try to call Brandsmart and see if they'll ship it to you. Be patient with them, their telephone skillset is not the best.

305-624-5400

Quote:
Originally posted by vsapra
wish we had a brandsmart here in the Big D...... the chumps over at CC want $399 for it........

VSapra

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I got one of the cheap 420s from Brandsmart. I will be testing it out shortly.

Mark

·
Registered
184 Posts
HD_Junkie -

thanks for the tip - I called them at the number you provided and tried to be as patient as possible - but in the end, the sales guy in the TV & Video department would not ship out anything.

Maybe it was the sales floor or something and he was real busy at 10 in the morning, either way, no cheap OTA box for me.

If anyone else has idea's other than Ebay , please PM me.

Also - anyone with this box and a Panny ED 42 plasma, please PM me if you have connected via the PC (15pin-Dsub) connection - interested in the results.

VSapra

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by vsapra
HD_Junkie -

thanks for the tip - I called them at the number you provided and tried to be as patient as possible - but in the end, the sales guy in the TV & Video department would not ship out anything.

Maybe it was the sales floor or something and he was real busy at 10 in the morning, either way, no cheap OTA box for me.

If anyone else has idea's other than Ebay , please PM me.

Also - anyone with this box and a Panny ED 42 plasma, please PM me if you have connected via the PC (15pin-Dsub) connection - interested in the results.

VSapra
You definitely got the sales floor. Actually you're lucky you got someone on the phone.....I suspected they wouldn't ship it.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Mark, Did you mail-order it? Or is there a Brandsmart near Mountain View somewhere?

Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
I got one of the cheap 420s from Brandsmart. I will be testing it out shortly.

Mark

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tji
Mark, Did you mail-order it? Or is there a Brandsmart near Mountain View somewhere?
This topic was brought up a few weeks ago. They have a website; all the Brandsmarts are in S. Fla., and they do not ship any items out, as far as I can tell. He must have gone there or had a relative/friend send it to him. It certainly is a great bargain for an OTA HD tuner.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If anyone else finds this unit deeply discounted by a retailer who does ship, please post the information here. I purchased (for $350) an HDV420 back in January from CC for an OTA test then returned it when my 30 day period ended. I was hoping that Comcast would add CBS. Since it doesn't look like that will be happening anytime in the near future, I would happily pay ~$200 for this STB.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Yeap---Check ebay for HDV420s Most seems to be in Brandsource towns! Yeap most are selling on ebay for $280--I looks like one buy appears to of made over $1000 so far reselling them!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got mine last friday. I had to settle for a floor display though. After calling and confirming "in stock" at the West Palm Beach store, I drove four hours to pick up my unit. When I got there I found out that the "three" in the inventory on their computer were in fact TWO, both of which were floor displays. No cables, manuals, etc. They called the nearest sister store, thirty minutes farther down the road, and that store was also down to their floor models. The Miami store still showed ten or so in inventory, but the inventory was off in both of the stores we called, so I have my doubts.

I got them do throw in a new component cable for the quoted price, and carried the unit home. Plugged it in, it works great, now I just need to get the manual. Is it available electronically?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I had my mother pick it up for me. It's in use now, btw, instead of my DTC-100. It is a very nice OTA tuner. I am generally quite pleased by it.

I am confused as to how to switch the output mode from the HD resolutions to the 480i so that I can get it to switch back to S-video output sometimes (when watching something live that's not in HD). I have to use the front-panel currently.

Anyway, it's very nice.

mark

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
I am confused as to how to switch the output mode from the HD resolutions to the 480i so that I can get it to switch back to S-video output sometimes (when watching something live that's not in HD). I have to use the front-panel currently.

mark
The "sd/hd" Button on the remote lets you switch between 480i(Svideo ---I think, as I don't use Svideo, currently+Composite) and the last(480p, 720p, 1080i - via Component or RGB) HD rez setting you used via the front panel ..

-----------------------------------

BTW, I like my HDV420 as well, use it as a 2nd receiver, it's hooked up to a VCR/"Old fashioned" SDTV via composite, and via RGB to a 17" PC monitor ...

·
Registered
44 Posts
If anyone finds another source other than South Florida for these at those great prices, please post it! I'd like to buy one of these, but don't live in S Florida. Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.