AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide whether to order a Zenith IQB64W10W from an internet dealer. The dealer has good standing with BBB, and Zenith says their warranty would in force. Zenith also gave me a phone number to buy an extended warranty. I would appreciate any input especially from Zenith owners as to whether this is a bad idea or not. There are no local dealers and the price seems good. Also, any comments as to what is a good price for this TV would be welcomed. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
33,776 Posts
What I CAN tell you is that the set is absolutely SUPERB! I still honestly feel it is the best HD RPTV on the market (even after being 2 years in production). If the internet dealer seems respectable, than go for it. With Zenith honoring the warranty, you should be in good shape.

I have found Zenith to be very reputable. The set was known for great picture quality but had the disadvantage of not properly displaying the output from progressive scan DVD players. Zenith eventually reengineered the digital circuit board so as to properly display a progressive scan picture. They replaced it free of charge even if the set was out of warranty. Mine was, and the work was done free of charge.

I paid $6,500 about 2 years ago, but I think the price has dropped closer to about $5,500 or so. Go for it, I'm sure you'll be delighted!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ken,

Thanks for your reply. I was aware of the progressive scan problem, but was not aware that it had been fixed. Do you know the number of the software version that fixed the problem? Does that mean it will now work OK with any prog scan player and not just the Toshiba that it sometimes worked with?

Thanks,

Rodney

·
Registered
33,776 Posts
Rodney,

The new fix (at least in my case) involved the replacement of the "digital board". I have heard that this can also be accomplished by means of a software download via a laptop. It seems though that most service facilities are replacing the board itself.

The fix does enable you to use any progressive scan DVD player with the set. I suppose it may also be possible that relatively new Zeniths come with the new board installed. You might want to call Zenith to see if that's the case. If thats not the case you'll be able to get the fix once you get the set.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Ken, you may recall that I had my digital board replaced late last year. Since then I've only viewed DVDs from an HTPC feeding the RGBHV HDTV inputs to the set. I had the board replaced to fix a sync problem with interlace component sources feeding the component input, which it did. I've never tried progressive to component.

My question is, to determine that my board has the correct update, how may I determine which software version I have...via the service menu, perhaps?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ken,

You have been very kind to answer my questions. I hope I'm not being to much of a pest, but I have I other concern that both you and Dave may be able to comment on. I am a little concerned about the display of 4:3 material. As I understand it, the 3 options are 1) 4:3 with bars, 2) a stretch of the entire screen and 3) a non-stretch fill of the screen. There is no option which leaves the center un-stretched, with the stretch being only on the sides. Also, if the display is 4:3 with black bars, I have not seen anything to indicate that there is any type of movement in the bar signal to try to aviod burn-in. I would appreciate any comments the two of you may have regarding your viewing of 4:3 material. Thanks very much.

Rodney

·
Registered
33,776 Posts
Rodney,

There is no non-linear stretch mode. The options are 4:3, 16:9 and zoom.

You get black bars on 4:3 material when that program is broadcast on an HD station. In other words, if a station is broadcasting in HD and transmits a 4:3 picture (which would not be HD at that time), the Zenith would display that with black bars. All HDTVs will do the same thing since the black bars are actually picture information being transmitted by the TV station and are not generated by the Zenith. If you are watching 4:3 satellite material, you will generally have a choice of black or gray bars. The only time I am faced with black bars and no choice is when the HD stations are broadcasting 4:3 material, otherwise it's not an issue at all.

Dave,

It appears the software version is 12.09. I don't recall what it was prior to the board replacement.

·
Banned
93 Posts
I would think twice about spending that amount of money for a CRT HDTV that has no firewire interface and is subject to screen burn. Better to wait a few months until the encryption and firewire features are added for an investment in that range.

I am partial to the newly introduced RCA Scenium L50000. Check it out, you may be pleasantly surprised.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.