AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monday, 3/12/01...that's when Zenith is sending a technician from a Fort Lauderdale service center to attempt a download of Version 4.7 into my set. Some of you may recall a failed attempt to do so by a surly technician here a few weeks ago. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will place a glow-in-the-dark statuette of St. Clare, the Patron Saint of Television on the set during the procedure. (Thanks to Mark Subin of www.digitaltelevision.com for supplying the website of Archie McPhee's, www.mcphee.com , as a source to purchase the statuettes in a "Mark's Monday Memo" a few weeks back.)

------------------

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If only to eliminate the "streaky lines/banding/video interference with horizontal sync" problems when viewing DVDs via the Y, Pb, Pr component video inputs. This is a problem which Zenith attributes to faulty software in Version 3.75 (very early!)

------------------

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I don't. The Zenith upconverts 480i to 1080i internally.

I do have an HTPC (functional on most but not all DVDs so far...it remains a work in progress) that uses Powerstrip 3.0 beta to format convert (I do 960X540p/Vsync=60Hz/Hsync=33.75kHz/Total lines=563) and feed the Zenith's RGBHV HD input. The HD timings prevent the Zenith from performing any additional processing.

------------------

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Dave. . .

I don't know if I should post this. . .but here goes. .

In my opinion. . (and it's not humble - an oxymoron) the

Y, Pb and Pr inputs on Zenith are not the problem of the

software.. . they're something else. Now I don't know if

people in Florida lie, but they do up here. . and I don't

know if it's ignorance or lying on Zenith's part.

So confronted by this problem at the offset of my HDTV, I

purchased a DVDO Iscan and used it initally with an inexpensive

DVD in line: DVD - Svideo - 15pin vega into HDTV with great

results. Didn't have to buy a progressive DVD. Then I tried

play station 2 and got a better DVD rendition.

Now. . .I come out of the DTC 100 into a cheapo VCR with the

antenna out and the audio out and the VCR does a excellent job

of recording and I go out of the VCR audio into the 64" Zenith

and the visual is run through the DVDO with the 15pin vega into

the 64" Zenith. So it takes 480 lines and doubles them to 960

lines real time. It's not perfect. . but it works for me.

So all of my analog is recordable and line doubled.

Now try it with HDTV and see what you think about it?

Hummer

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hummer,

I think that you are suggesting that a signal from your line-doubler looks fine when feeding the Y, Pb, Pr inputs on the Zenith? If the DVDO Iscan provides standard HDTV timings for 1080i, as my HTPC can, then the Zenith will assume that it's 1080i HDTV and do no further processing. This is in fact the case when feeding the RGBHV HDTV input and I would assume it's the case with the Y, Pb, Pr "DVD/HD" input as well. I don't have a Y, Pb, Pr source to test this theory with. However, the problem occurs with standard-definition sources like DVD which has not been line-doubled.

I failed to mention that it has been suggested on another thread that Version 4.7 also improves the ATSC tuner's performance in some ways, like faster signal lock, etc.

I suspect that my set is probably among a very few which are still running the old 3.75 software.

------------------

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

[This message has been edited by Dave McRoy (edited 03-09-2001).]

·
Registered
33,440 Posts
Dave,

I got my Zenith back up and running a couple of weeks ago after the "fools" put the connectors back in the wrong places. It turns out that they didn't blow any board and the simple "correct" connections restored my beautiful picture. God, I love this set. Seeing it again for the first time after a week and a half, I had forgotten how glorious this picture is.

As far as the software version, I think I told you I have 4.7 and still can't display a progressive scan DVD player's picture. What's fascinating though, and go figure this out, a friend loaned me his Panny HD STB which can output 480p exclusively, and the Zenith had NO PROBLEM whatsoever with that signal! I can't figure that out. I would think 480p is 480p whether it comes from a DVD player or a HD STB.

Are you saying that you can't output a 480i signal into the component inputs on the Zenith? That I can do.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ken. . .

You said "fools" and I'd simply say they're not "rocket scientists"

I could write a short story about my experience with repair persons

from authorized Zenith Repair Stations.

Dave. . .

No, my connections with the DTC100, VHS, DVD, DVDO and computer

have all been into the 15 pin Vega. I had less than satisfactory

results into the component inputs. I've tested almost every con-

ceivable format on both my 64" and 56" without regards to the con-

sequences. Both sets have performed well above my expectations.

But again. . .only 15 pin Vega input.

Hummer

·
Registered
195 Posts
Anyone,

Is the software version the number that shows up as CPU in the service menu? On my set I get: CPU 4.91 MIC 17.03

I'm using a Sony DVP-C600D connected to the component input and during scenes where the background is a uniformly black color, I can see a slightly lighter band scrolling from bottom to top. I thought that this was a problem with the Sony DVD player.

·
Registered
182 Posts
waja. . .

Had the same problem to begin with in my hookup and determined

it to be RF Interference. . . .Solution: get three or four

extension cords and run your plug ins to three or four different

circuits and see if the problem continues to exists. If not, then

through a process of elimination determine which combination gives

the RF Interference and which doesn't. Obviously go with the one

that doesn't. (Now this sounds too simple . . .but try it before

anything else. . .)

Hummer

·
Registered
619 Posts
At least some of you are getting a tech out to your house. I first called Zenith in November. The first shop they said would contact me didn't, and when I called said they had received incomplete information and would get back to me. They didn't.

Called Zenith back and was given another tech's number. He kept having excuses for delays and after 3 months still isn't ready.

Guess it's time for another call to Zenith. I wonder if anyone in that company is concerned that stories of crappy service may be jurting sales of what is otherwise a very, very good set.

Rick

·
Registered
33,440 Posts
waja,

You are correct, that is the software version. Don't tell me, you too can't get a correct progressviely scanned DVD picture either. I don't think the Zenith's are capable of this regardless of software version.

However, I can't understand how I was able to output a progressive 480p signal from a HD STB and get it to display correctly. Wouldn't you think a 480p signal is a 480p signal. What makes the DVD 480p different?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ken,

Re: 480i component DVD, yep, that's what causes the "streaking/banding" problem under Version 3.75.

Re: 480p component, are you certain that the Zenith is actually DISPLAYING 480p as opposed to upconverting to 1080i for display, as you'd expect it to do? (The Zenith is supposed to convert EVERYTHING that isn't native 1080i, or a least featuring 1080i video timings, to 1080i for display. That being the case, it is surprizing that 480p works with an STB as a source but not a DVD player, as you say.)

hummer,

My problem has been exclusively with the Y, Pb, Pr component inputs. I have never had any problems with the RGBHV inputs.

waja,

Version 4.91...wow, I wonder which version I'll end up with.

We'll, today's the day for the download, just confirmed by the service tech for between 2 and 4 p. m. ...wish me luck.

------------------

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

[This message has been edited by Dave McRoy (edited 03-12-2001).]

·
Registered
33,440 Posts
Dave,

Just to clarify, I never expected the Zenith to display 480p natively, that's simply not possible with it's design, BUT I have always hoped to display a 480p DVD signal even if it gets upconverted. Even with the line down the middle and the 1080i upconvert, I've seen a significant improvement in the jaggies when watching the results of a 480p DVD output on the Zenith. I obviously returned the progressive DVD player since it's not my idea of home theater to watch a movie with a line down the middle and the picture split in two. I'm funny that way.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Same story with the Sony 9000ES DVD player for me. I've got V4.9 software on my Zenith 56" (IQB56W10G). I get a big black stripe down the middle. And as Ken stated, I see a very noticeable improvement to the picture being displayed on the TV when I switch the DVD output to progressive scan. Too bad about this black band though. However...it is quite interesting what Ken noticed with the STB and 480p output. I'd have automatically expected to see that annoying black band again.

I too have been having a TERRIBLE time getting *any* Zenith authorized tech to repair my TV. My saga goes back to Dec 2000. The 2 people that man the phones at the Zenith DTV Hotline (1-877-939-6484) are nice, but are somewhat clueless about their technology.

And when it comes to Zenith Authorized Service Providers....it gets much worse! The experience I had with the first Zenith servicer (they were recommended to me by the Zenith DTV hotline) was simply horrible. The tech they sent to my house had never even gone through the Zenith training course, let alone touched an HDTV prior. He took a look at the back of the set and left. When I called this servicer back after 3 weeks had gone by, they asked me to not phone them again, told me take my business elsewhere, and actually hung up on me!!!! And this was the co-owner of the shop!!!!!!! I was in shock for a few second after that experience. I did relay all this to the folks at the Zenith DTV hotline, who then put me in touch with a different service provider. This time, the new servicer called me back promptly, but I have not heard anything in about 2 weeks. I guess in the electronics servicing arena, things must move r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-l-l-o-o-o-w.

All in all, while I like the picture on my Zenith, the trouble I've had with its very loud fan and annoying on/off issues (and then there are a couple of minor ones as well)....I truly wish I had spent my money elsewhere.

Too bad Zenith managmement aren't reading these posts!

If they are, it certainly doesn't look like they give a damn!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, Ken, I'd say that I fared far better!

Allen Schatten, A. S. E. T., from Electronic Laboratory, Inc. of Pompano Beach, FL (954)946-6092 came in yesterday afternoon with an entire new Zenith digital board (Zenith part number 809-10632.) Allen thought it odd that a tech might confuse where connectors should go on this board, Ken, since they're all keyed and of different sizes. He thinks your guy must have removed cable connectors from additional nearby boards unnecessarily and confused them with connectors on the digital board.

Allen repaired an unsoldered ground that he discovered.

After the new board was installed, as Allen predicted, all video parameters returned to original factory conditions. In the case of my set that meant a bluish white region and a greenish dark region plus some misconvergence and geometry error. Allen ballparked the positon,geometry and covergence and attempted to find a nice compromise of overscan and position to accomodate both the Zenith's built-in tuner video timing and that of the RGBHV HDTV output of my RCA DTC100 and did a good job. (Now I know why Zenith's overscan as much as they do...with only a one-size-fits-all approach to positon, geometry, convergence, etc. for all sources, it makes sense, but it's not as as elegant as sets that offer multiple presets for various sources.)

After Allen left I tweaked the gray scale and geometry further and made things look better. Overall the set looks great, but I intend to further fine-tune gray scaling later today. All sources that I checked look as good or better than they ever did. I will next hook-up the Sony DVD player with the 480i component outputs that was so troublesome before and verify whether that problem has been fixed.

Beware that if you decide to have your entire digital board replaced for any reason that you will lose any post-factory convergence, gray scaling and geometry adjustments that may have been made!

------------------

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

[This message has been edited by Dave McRoy (edited 03-13-2001).]

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ken,

I have not tried a progressive DVD player with my Zenith. I had one on order once, but cancelled the order after reading about the problems everyone was having in this group. Has anyone ever gotten any progressive DVD player using the component input to work properly with the 64" Zenith?

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I can't speak to that. I use an HTPC (and hence the RGBHV input) to view progressive DVD playback. So I can get progressive playback, but I've never tried it through the component inputs. Sorry.

------------------

Lenny Zimmermann

[email protected]

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.