AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey AVS Folks! I've narrowed the HDTV search down to one of these and would love your opinions to choose one --

1) Zenith IQB64W10W -- The 64W has gotten great

reviews and has 9" CRT's, but has 2 year old technology and it is rumored that it can be a bear to find someone to service them. (I can't even find a local place to purchase it at if that is the decision, but that is another story)

2) Zenith D65W25 -- the replacement model for the 64W10W above with a sleeker cabinet and more current software, but steps down to 7" CRT's. Rumored to be as good as the 64W10W with a resolution equaling it (1920 x 1080i) and exceptional brightness (1000 ftlmbts!).

3) The Pioneer Elite 720 -- hands down a great set, but does not apparently have the stellar picture that the Zeniths do. from my research, the 720 gets an A- overall, the Zenith an A+....

(Having never seen the Zenith, this is all hearsay to me at this point...)

My question is -- Which one would you go with if you could? If Zenith, how is their durability/ease of getting service? Since the Zenith would be purchased long-distance, I won't have a local dealer to complain to if it goes bad on me, while the pioneer has a number of retailers within a 20 miles radius.

Thanks for any input you can offer!

·
Registered
33,772 Posts
I've got the 64" Zenith with the 9" guns, so I'm partial. However, I did a thorough search when I bought the unit (about a year and a half ago). I found (as I still believe today) the Zenith has the best picture of any RP HDTV out there. I thought it was unquestionably superior to any and all of the Pioneer Elites.

I recently had the digital board upgraded free of charge to allow me to use any progressive scan DVD player. Zenith did not have to perform this service at no charge since the set was out of warranty, but they gave me absolutely no problems with this at all. That's a rarity in today's marketplace. There are several servicers in the N.Y. area. Your best bet is to call Zenith and ask them who in your area can perform service if necessary.

The set performs today as well as it did on day one (better with the upgrade). I find it hard to believe that the new set with 7" guns can provide the same resolution of a unit with 9" guns. I don't think that's technically possible and I know of no such set of any manufacturer that can. I'm sure it's a great set but I am very skeptical about its ability to provide as stellar a picture as a 9" gun equipped Zenith.

My recommendation would be to go for the 9" guns (unless you can actually see the new set and assure yourself it actually provides as good a picture).

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
My experience with the Zenith IQB64W10W is identical to Ken's. I have no regrets...highly recommended.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.