AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a thin projection TV for my basement I want a depth of no more than 22". I need a width of no more than 48". It needs to work with a PC and support standard PC resolutions to work with games. And I want to spend less than $2500 (less than $2000, if possible).

The PC need, plus the fact that I detest stretch modes rules out CRT projectors (and the depth requirement excludes many of them anyway). The need for good PC support rules out the little Sony. The under 48" requirement rules out the Panasonic 43". The $2500 limit pretty much rules out Samsung (and most other DLPs).

Two units I've found that seem to fit the requirements are the 44" Zenith LCD at Best Buy and the 44" Philips Cineos LCOS at Cosco. I prefer the zenith's cabinet. The Philips includes a stand (albeit an ugly one). Both have a standard analog RGB PC input. Both are 1280x720 native. Both have a decent looking picture to me. The Zenith is very sharp, not that great of contrast, and greens seem a tad too bright. The Philips impressed me as smoother, with better color balance, but also with less than stellar contrast. I would say both have acceptable contrast for my application, though: the TV will probably be mostly used with the lights on and I already have an X1 front projector in the family room for DVD watching.

I like the cabinet of the Zenith better. Although Philips has opted to get out of the LCOS TV business, Costco has a liberal return policy. Based on the comments on the Cineos thread, it sounds like reliablity is certainly a problem. On the other hand, the Zenith brand does not exactly inspire my confidence...

Any comments or arguments for one over the other would be appreciated, as would any alternative suggestions.

I've ruled out plasma, since the ones in my price range are EDTV and would be unacceptable for PC use. I've pretty much ruled out LCD panels due to the high cost for the larger units. I've ruled out direct view CRTs due to the desire for good PC support as well as depth issues for something bigger than 30" diagonal. Have I missed anything?

Thanks in advance,

--Jim

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.