AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Zenith Pro 851 that I purchased and it is setup for a ceiling mount. I would to change it to sit on the floor. Can anyone direct me in how to change the setting? Thanks in advance!

Busch

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
My site, www.curtpalme.com will have that info online within about 10 days. I just mailed the info to my webmaster this weekend. The Runco 750 manual is the only one out there that I know of that covered the switching of the 12 jumpers in detail.

Curt

·
Registered
524 Posts
My AmPro 1100 (Zenith 851x clone) Installation Manual covered it pretty well too. I hate how some of the connectors are covered by the second part of the focus block (?). Im guessing my focus block is the new type. (also - ?)

Cheers Curt!

I hope to see more info on the 851 on your site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme
My site, www.curtpalme.com will have that info online within about 10 days. I just mailed the info to my webmaster this weekend. The Runco 750 manual is the only one out there that I know of that covered the switching of the 12 jumpers in detail.

Curt

·
Registered
524 Posts
Curt,

Why not post the 1251/1271 Owners manual on your site as well? All sony manuals should be up on docs.sony.com

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
I'll let Kal know. He's been scouring the net for manuals..:)

Yes, more set info is coming up. I need to finish up with the 851 and PRO 900, then onto the NEC sets. But at about 8-10 hours per set, it takes away from repairs and sales..:)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancorp
Curt,

Why not post the 1251/1271 Owners manual on your site as well? All sony manuals should be up on docs.sony.com
I just looked and I couldn't find VPH anything at that site :(

·
Registered
18,503 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Quote:
I'll let Kal know. He's been scouring the net for manuals..:)

Yes, more set info is coming up. I need to finish up with the 851 and PRO 900, then onto the NEC sets. But at about 8-10 hours per set, it takes away from repairs and sales..:)
Great!, Look forward to seeing it ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I found the 12 pins that I needed to reverse to flip picture. I just started looking around and figured it out. Just put the ole noggin to work.

Now I need some help with the picture. The top part of the picture is much wider than the bottom. I have the unit level, but the picture is in the shape of the letter W. Have I missed a pin? When the picture was flipped, it was not like that.

If anyone, can point me in the right direction, I woould appreciate it! Once I get that, I can get the pictureright with the convergence. Curt was kind enough to walk me thru that this spring when I was working on my Runco 750.

Thanks in Advance!

Mike

·
Registered
524 Posts
Mike,

After you flip it around, its time to reconverge everything, including keystone, (I know I had to, except the bottom was wider than the top for me) which is the one thats off in your case causing one edge to be bigger than the opposite. Now this is how I did it, and I am by no means a professional what so ever ;)

Center these knobs : BH KEY and SKEY, RH KEY and SKEY, GH KEY and SKEY.

After that, get into service mode by holding down the menu for 5 seconds until a message comes up (something about the projector), than quickly type 9 8 7 6 5 Enter on the remote. Find keystone, and adjust it to as close to makeing the screen square as you can (best to the green), than use the controls on the convergence board after that.

There was something in the installation manual about pulling off one of the wires on the board, disabling it, and doing the menu adjustments first, but I just centered all the knobs and went from there.

Any corrections from Curt are welcome ;)

BTW, Mike where are you located?

Cheers,

Alex

·
Registered
524 Posts
Curt,

And perhaps its better if I email you about this, that usually works better, but...

Are there any flare of extra focus adjustments besides the 3 electronic and 3 optical focus knobs? When I do the electronic focus on the green, I cant focus it in all the way without getting flaring. Same with blue, but I know why that is. The red seems fine. The only way to focus properly and not get any flaring is by turning down the contrast below reasonable levels. Also there is flaring/smudging on both the blue and the green, very noticable on things like computer icons on a black background.

The tubes look mint, and are very bright.

Also the bottom of the image is more blurry than the top, not due to it not having schemeflug (spelling?) adjustments, because than I would be able to atleast focus the bottom or the top, but not both at the same time. Im guessing its because the bottom of the screen is farther away, requiring more magnification, and the plasic lenses just cant handle it well.

Which brings me to yet another point. For the people trying to make their projectors resolve high resolutions, wouldnt having the projector tilted and centered to the screen with no keystone allow for better focus/resolvability and thus better resolution?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Alex

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Quote:
10 days? I didn't know I had a deadline! :) Just got the paper manual in the mail yesterday so I'll get to scanning it all in and creating a PDF soon ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancorp
docs.sony.com/release/VPH1251Q.PDF

You have to type in the entire model number.
Got it! It's now on the site. (What a useless search engine on the sony site!)

Let me know if you find any others that aren't on Curt's site, and in the future, if you want something done sooner, just email me ([email protected]) directly. :)

Kal

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hmm doesnt seem like a user manual, but its a good installation manual, id say better than the one AmPro has. A user manual usually covers all the menus, remote buttons, basic troubleshooting, and basic adjustments.

Good to see nonetheless.

Cheers,

Alex

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hehe :D

Is there any more info on the 851 coming anytime soon? Magnetic/flare adjustments maybe?

Thanks,

Cheers,

Alex

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will download and give it a try.

I played with the convergence a little, but did not have much time. I am in Greenville, SC here. I have a Runco 750 that I got back up and running, thanks to Curt! I found him on Ebay. I asked him a few questions, bought a part from him, and he was more than kind enough to work me thru my problems. I had to replace my convergence board. Then had to work on all three colors. I still have just a little problem with the red on the far edge at 9 o"clock, but it is very minor and I left it alone. I even had to play with the tubes and Curt walked me thru it. I sent Curt a picture of my screen once I had everything done. He said it was not bad at all for a 1st time amature! LOL I have directed several people to Curt for parts and Projectors ( I hope they bought something ).

I bought this Zenith 851 on Ebay for $ 10.00!! Not as great shape as my Runco, but for a backup or second TV, not bad. It looks like I will have to install this for my wife, since her 60" Mitsubishi tv, has a screen that is beginning to turn green. We have had that one for 10 years and I only paid $ 200 for it.

Again, thanks for the help and suggestions

Mike

·
Registered
524 Posts
Mike,

$10 is a damn good deal ;) Mine cost me $23, and another $23 for glycol and fuses to fix it. Does have minty tubes though! :)

Eh if only you were near my place, I would love to see how you managed to set it up!

Have fun tweaking the hell out of it, I'm still waiting for Curt to check in and for gods sake tell me that there is some way to adjust flare on these things.

The Zenith 851x is a very nice 480i unit, atleast the way I see it. Could be sharper though (atleast mine could...)

Which reminds me, Curt, how long do you thing seems a reasonable time for one of these to warm up? 5 minutes? 15? 30???

Thanks!

Cheers,

Alex

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.