AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cousin's Video website says Zenith will be shipping the DTV1080 STB later this month but that they have raised the price. Cousins is now asking $744 rather than $699. Gotta cover that increased R&D on these perpetually delayed boxes, I guess.

------------------

Rich Peterson

DBS Consumer Guide Author

[This message has been edited by Rich Peterson (edited 10-04-2001).]

·
Registered
90 Posts
I called cousins' around 12 est. and asked the status. They said they weren't sure but they we're hoping for mid to end of the month. I decided to take a chance on it and placed an order on their web site. That was at 12:28pm. At 1:24 they updated their web site with the new price and in their forum posted this:

"Good News: Zenith should be shipping these around the end of this month (October).

Bad News: They will be taking a price increase! We are honoring our original price for all existing orders, new orders will be at $744.00"

So, I got my order in just in time. Hope my luck continues... it's delivered on time (this time), it works as well as we've been led to believe, etc... I wonder what the new MSRP will be? $849 maybe.

[This message has been edited by cjett (edited 10-04-2001).]

·
Registered
623 Posts
You know I can live with the price increase but not being able to compare the unit with everything else is another matter entirely. I have held off getting Direct TV to get HDNet just to check out this unit's OTA capabilities. Hurry up Zenith or you just might lose a sale!!!!!!

------------------

nick

·
Registered
807 Posts
Prices going up is not positive at this point in the HD game. With the Zenith, we are in the 3rd generation of receivers and I would be hoping that prices would be coming down more than they have. While generation 2 was half the price of the 1st generation, those prices have held pretty steady thus far and the opening salvo of the 3rd generation has resulted in a price increase. Not the way to be going if HD is going to gain widespread acceptance.

·
Banned
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drewba:
Prices going up is not positive at this point in the HD game. With the Zenith, we are in the 3rd generation of receivers and I would be hoping that prices would be coming down more than they have. While generation 2 was half the price of the 1st generation, those prices have held pretty steady thus far and the opening salvo of the 3rd generation has resulted in a price increase. Not the way to be going if HD is going to gain widespread acceptance.
It was predicted to me by a top official at Motorola in 1999 that the way 8-VSB reception problems were being addressed was by as he put it "brute force and more silicon". He said that this would present a continuing upward pressure on the cost of 8-VSB receivers.

He was pretty pessimistic on both a fix and the price. I wonder what this portends for the price of the big fix due in 2004?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.