AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After installing the Sat520 to my Sony widescreen TV the OTA HD signals look great. I then installed the triple LNB DTV dish and activated the service. The HD channels look as good as the OTA signals but when I change to a standard DTV channel such as History channel the display is very pixelated. The screen is more pixelated if the scene is moving vs. standing still. I am using a DVI cable and have also tried the component cable and a composite cable choosing the appropriate output modes on the Sat520 and the appropriate input modes on my TV to try and receive a more normal looking picture. My signal strength on the three satellites is between 87 and 92 on the worst transponders.

Any ideas or suggestions on what may be causing this or what to try next? It seems to only be affecting the non-HD DTV channels.

Joe

·
Registered
63 Posts
DirectTV SD is a pixelated mess since they started compressing everthing to fit hundreds of 'local' channels to abide by must-carry provisions for various markets in the nation. Most viewers are not aware of these picture limitations until they use a HD or large screen tv.

Also, DirectTV HD is compressed to 15 mbps down from 19 mbps, but the

degradation is less noticeable than SD fare.

If you want pristine SD, you'd have to get a BUD. ( those large wire mesh dish thingie from the 80s )

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm not sure if what the poster is describing is in fact a D* "compression" problem. I am using the 520 with D* and a 61" Sony HS. I've had both D* and E* and I don't see much of a difference, if any.

Lately I have been experimenting with one of the "Hybrid" modes on the 520 which converts everything in 480I mode to 480P. This conversion is less than ideal to say the least. The onboard line doubler on the Sony HS does a much better job. All in all the hybrid 520 mode is much better than the s-video output of the Dish 6000 in SD mode though. Even the Sony line doubler could not deal with the serious edge enhancement glaring output of the 6000.

The best combo has been the s-video output of the 520 (480I) mode and using the Sony HS line doubler. That gives a very pleasing image.

If you are seeing serious pixellization like really big pixels then it is probably a DVI issue, a problem with your display, or a problem with the 520. Try to narrow the problem down by using a different mode on the 520, switching to component cables or s-video (if possible), or trying a different display (if possible).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have tried the DVI cable, a component cable, an s-video cable and composite video cable and all of them have the same result. The OTA standard and HD signals look fine and the D* HD signals look fine but the D* SD signals have the large pixels present. I unfortunately don't have another HD receiver to try. I will try and borrow a friends D* SD box to see if I get the same results which should then point to the receiver or the monitor.

Joe

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scubabuzz1
I have tried the DVI cable, a component cable, an s-video cable and composite video cable and all of them have the same result. The OTA standard and HD signals look fine and the D* HD signals look fine but the D* SD signals have the large pixels present. I unfortunately don't have another HD receiver to try. I will try and borrow a friends D* SD box to see if I get the same results which should then point to the receiver or the monitor.

Joe
You're seeing the effects of compression, since everything looks fine except the D* SD stuff. I don't think there's anything wrong with your hardware. When I've seen the SD D* feeds in stores on HDTVs, the picture is truly awful.

Some people prefer the composite output since it softens the appearance of the macroblocking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried a standard HNS D* box but was unable to get it to receive channel 201. It kept telling me to call for subscription info. I also tried the composite cable and it does soften the picture but it is still not as good as I remember from having the service a few years ago. I also worked on the system when I worked for HNS and it seemed better then. The HD stuff is pretty good though not as good as the OTA stuff I am getting. I'll keep playing with it until I get some combination of cables that gives me a halfway decent picture.

Thanks for all the suggestions,

Joe

·
Registered
188 Posts
scubabuzz1,

I must agree with the others that you are seeing the effects of compression. For me, it is most noticeable on my local channels from D*. It is LESS noticeable on my SD TV in the bedroom. I stress the word less because it is still noticeable, just not to the degree as on my HD set.

I read in another thread that D* is doing some type of upgrade that will allow them to ease up on the compression but I wouldn't count on them doing it unless enough customers complain and threaten to take their business elsewhere.

Below I rate PQ from best to worst from my 520.

1. OTA High Definition

2. D* High Definition, i.e. HD Net and Discovery HD

3. OTA Digital Broadcasts (Non-HD)

4. D* SD Channels (most, other than locals)

5. OTA Analog Broadcasts (Local VHF and UHF channels)

6. D* SD Channels (my locals mainly)

*Note1: I use no equipment to test PQ other than my two eyes.

*Note2: Numbers 4 and 5 are very close but I gave it to D* due to occasional ghosting from the OTA Analogs.

*Note3: Regarding Note2, if I had a combo VHF/UHF Antenna, instead of UHF only, I think the positions would swap.

If D* doesn't step-up and step-down the compression, I may have to give Digital Cable a try, though I vowed never to do that years ago.

Jake

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.