AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any reliable way to slightly boost the Silver Sensor's signal just a little bit. I get just about all my locals but ch 10-1 is a little weak. Are those in line amps any good? Would better cable work?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Mike..

The best way, in most cases, is to get more height. Generally, but now always, 30 feet is better than 20 and could make the difference. Also be sure you have good line of sight. Better cable always makes a little difference..RG-6 Quad should be minimum requirement. I do not know your entire setup so can not say anything about a line amp or a pre-amp on your mast close to antenna. Generally, a amp will give back to you some of the signal you have lost along the way...after getting to your antenna.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a Silver Sensor with a MYHD card. My antenna is in the attic and I have a in line amp. The amp does not seem to add anything to the signal. I am going to try a separate more powerful amp from radio shack and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
A line amp generally just gives you back, so to speak, some loss in the line from antenna to tv set. Everytime you 'cut' the line, there is a loss. The line amp will not, from my experience, give you a higher incoming signal at your antenna head.

·
Registered
729 Posts
You need a pre-amp not a line driver. When I was doing ATSC testing with Zenith or later with my own company for other manufacturers I found that 6db of gain from a pre-amp attached at the feed point of the antenna did wonders for the signal. I am waiting for information from Gemini on a pre-amp, I do not have a part number yet. Call Stark supply and tell them what you want they will set you up.

If you are going to go to the trouble of putting a “set top†antenna in an attic or on a mast why not use a better larger antenna? (the silver sensor is a great antenna for its size) I do not understand why if you have the luxury of an attic you are using a small “set top†antenna?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Ok. I was just wondering.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks...Last night I bought a compass and pointed the Silver Sensor in the right direction. I get all of the channels now. I will try out the pre-amp and see if it can further increase my reception.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.