AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New info today, direct from Zenith:

The STB will not ship until November, "software issues" was given as the reason.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
13 Posts
Notices posted throughout the offices at Zenith give November 1st as the date when dealers will have them in stock ready to sell.

·
Registered
8 Posts
OK, first post although I've enjoyed reading this forum for over a year. My local Zenith dealer told me his Zenith contact said the box was delayed to make some changes for DirecTV. He didn't know what that meant (or if it is the real reason for the delay), but did say that his cost has increased $40 in the last few weeks and that the price is still not finalized. For what it's worth....

·
Registered
411 Posts
I've been waiting for the release of the Zenith for months. This is at least the fourth announced delay and there may have been more.

There have been excuses which could all be true that the problem has been with DirecTV approval and/or software. I wonder if there will be an ownership change with DirecTV before this thing is finally released?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just a curious question - With all the STB's available right now, why are some people waiting for this unit, is there something special about it?

Phil

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PhilC:
Just a curious question - With all the STB's available right now, why are some people waiting for this unit, is there something special about it?

Phil
It will have the next generation chip(3rd??) and also have active SD outputs while in HD mode.No current hdtv receivers will do this.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I think its just the hope that a 1 year newer model must be an improvement over the current models, all of which have problems. I think there is also the belief that the Zenith will output through the Component and Composite/S-video outputs at the same time. My reading of the specs looks like that is true, but only when 480i is selected for the component out.

Tony

·
Banned
215 Posts
Wouldn't expect too much from this company. They are now 100% owned by LG Electronics and have little of the former talent to produce better STBs. Thomson (RCA) has better engineering talent and should be the one to look for upgrades.

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Afraid not Bob, they've already demonstrated their technological ability in products already released while under control of LG. The box has already shown capabilities that no other current box has. The ability to seamlessly switch between three HD sources into the APG system is a tremendous advantage for those of us that have 3 sources. Their first generation integrated HD tuner still possesses the best PQ of any box on the market. So as much as I know you hate Zenith, they have far more technology at their disposal than you give them credit for. Ofcourse that doesn't mean that the box won't have the usual quirks and issues that virtually every STB has shown.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Ken-

So can we expect that THIS Zenith STB to have similar "guts" as that first generation Zenith that you referenced? If I am correct, didn't that unit have "muthuh" of a price tag on it? This will be interesting to see how this product works out. We could use a STB that excels over others.

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Bob,

In the interest of honesty, no. I am basing my opinion soley on my wonderful experience with the built-in first generation tuner contained within my 64" Zenith HDTV. It has a picture depth and quality that exceeds any box I've tried. I currently have the Sony HD100 and the RCA DTC100, both of which are not as good.

Wolvernole,

Actually from what I've read, the new box will have significantly improved reception characteristics. It will be more sensitive and more immune to multipath interference. I hope the PQ is at least as good as mine. If so I will be one happy camper. However, as with all the other STBs, I'm prepared for some disappointment.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Chick:
. I think there is also the belief that the Zenith will output through the Component and Composite/S-video outputs at the same time. My reading of the specs looks like that is true, but only when 480i is selected for the component out.
I got the same impression (it's pretty much in black-and-white). The specs don't mentioned if the RF out will work all the time. If it does, then this is the HD STB I've been waiting for!

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Ken-

As always, thanks for the insight. You have peaked my interest in the Zenith even more, w/ your experience w/ their previous box. I hope that you will be willing to fill us in w/ a comparison, if you are one of the "early" purchasers of said STB. I do not think those of us salivating over the potential of this Zenith offer any disrespect to our fellow members who are relatively satisfied w/ other models. It just seems obvious that there are some flaws in each model...if we can have a model that tweaks any weaknesses in other models + adds a couple of features...that's what it's all about. Thanks again!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.